Why you need a passport or 2nd form of ID

MNelson486

I brought my daughter to the airport and put her on a plane on Saturday (as an unaccompanied minor). I had to go through security with her (which was fine). Some how I lost my driver's license!

We are due to leave on the Valor on the 13th -- good thing I have a passport so I can quickly get a replacement license -- and can use it as my mode of ID while traveling.

Not my smoothest move -- but hey -- the passport allows me to travel, so it is all good!

That stinks that you lost your license, but luckily have the passport as a back up. I've had one since teen years and will always have one. Love the Valor, have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I brought my daughter to the airport and put her on a plane on Saturday (as an unaccompanied minor). I had to go through security with her (which was fine). Some how I lost my driver's license!

We are due to leave on the Valor on the 13th -- good thing I have a passport so I can quickly get a replacement license -- and can use it as my mode of ID while traveling.

Not my smoothest move -- but hey -- the passport allows me to travel, so it is all good!

If I lost my license I could have a new one the next day as I live in a state that will issue them at the DMV. Your having a passport is a good thing but I wouldn't buy one to have it "just in case".

DW typically never takes her purse and her true wallet. When we go on vacation/cruise, I take her ID and place it with mine in my wallet. Keeping our passports in a secondary location that is typically safe keeps us with a backup in case for some unknown reason I lose my wallet.

Glad you got a replacement ID. Does it take you a long time to get one without a passport? Here we just walk in with some mail and SS card and walk out 5 mins later with a new ID or DL.

Getting or renewing a passport can be a royal PITA, however you only have to do it once every 10 years and it does make things easier to have one when traveling. It's very easy to order docs on line if you need them to support proof of ID. Just had to renew my wife's. Needed certified copy of marriage certificate, ordered it on line, received it in 1 week.

What I thought was funny on our last cruise was carnival telling passengers to leave their passports in their room safe when leaving the ship at the various ports. Isn't that about the only place you might need a passport while on a cruise? I am just thinking if you should miss the ship. We have the passport cards which speeded up going through customs but not good for much else cruise-wise.

Do you all take you passports on shore excursions?

Edited by Badfinger

What I thought was funny on our last cruise was carnival telling passengers to leave their passports in their room safe when leaving the ship at the various ports. Isn't that about the only place you might need a passport while on a cruise? I am just thinking if you should miss the ship. We have the passport cards which speeded up going through customs but not good for much else cruise-wise.

Typically, no. Unless the cruise line tells us we must take our passports ashore (some countries require a passport for foreign visitors). We use our ship card and driver's license to get back onboard. Most countries only require a ship's card and a government issued photo ID of some sort for cruise passengers visiting for the day.

I always, always, always take my passport with me. I've had one for decades, long before I started cruising, for international travel. I use it as my ID whenever I fly, even if just a domestic flight.

You can't get any more "official" identification than having a valid passport. And if I'm going to be out and about in a foreign port, I'm going to have my "official" identification with me at all times.

Why would I leave it in my cabin safe? If something happens when I'm in port, I want to be able to get home. I don't want a "copy" of it (that's what stays in the safe). I want the real, live, passport on my person.

I've read all the arguments about "oh, you might be mugged or a pickpocket will steal it!" Yeah, well, it's a lot more likely that I'll twist an ankle on uneven pavement and end up in an ER and miss the ship than it is that I'll have my passport stolen! ;)

I always take copies of the passports ashore, but leave the passport books and at least one credit card in the safe along with a copy of all the credit cards with us on the trip unless the foreign government requires visitors to keep their passports with them.

We have also e-mailed copies of the info pages on the passports to ourselves and can access them from anywhere just in case the passports get lost or stolen. It speeds up getting a new one issued.

I had my wallet stolen on the beach in Curacao. Thankfully, the passports were in the safe on the ship. I had to start canceling the credit cards as soon as we got back to the ship. We also scan all the credit cards we will be taking on a trip and have a copy of that. It made it much easier to cancel the cards. When I got home I used my passport as my ID at the DMV. I also took the opportunity to have name on the DL changed to match my passport. Now they both have my given first and middle names and last name. The DL had my maiden name as the middle name. With that change on the DL my new voters registration came in the same name as the passport for the first time in 30 years. Now, Social Security, Passport, Voters Registration and Drivers License all match! That was the Silver Lining in that cloud.

Edited by DebJ14

I always, always, always take my passport with me. I've had one for decades, long before I started cruising, for international travel. I use it as my ID whenever I fly, even if just a domestic flight.

You can't get any more "official" identification than having a valid passport. And if I'm going to be out and about in a foreign port, I'm going to have my "official" identification with me at all times.

Why would I leave it in my cabin safe? If something happens when I'm in port, I want to be able to get home. I don't want a "copy" of it (that's what stays in the safe). I want the real, live, passport on my person.

I've read all the arguments about "oh, you might be mugged or a pickpocket will steal it!" Yeah, well, it's a lot more likely that I'll twist an ankle on uneven pavement and end up in an ER and miss the ship than it is that I'll have my passport stolen! ;)[/QUOT

I would do the same if I had a passport!

I use my passport card for TSA and other general ID checks. It's the ID I can most afford to lose. If I lose my license, I can't drive; If I lose my passport book, I can't fly. The passport card also has the least amount of personal info on it - no address, no passport stamps of where I've been to.

Edited by dwjoe

I've read all the arguments about "oh, you might be mugged or a pickpocket will steal it!" Yeah, well, it's a lot more likely that I'll twist an ankle on uneven pavement and end up in an ER and miss the ship than it is that I'll have my passport stolen! ;)

That is not the case. A US consular officer posted on CC that the ratio of lost/stolen/damaged passports was about four times higher than other causes.

I'm not going to lose my passport. No, really.

I seriously am much more apt to fall and get hurt and need to fly home from a foreign port. I don't want to have to get the consular's office involved because my passport sailed off without me!

As I said, I know the arguments. My personal opinion is that passports are intended for international travel. When I'm on foreign soil, I have my passport on me.

People are going to do what they want. I want my passport with me. If you want to leave yours on the ship, then do that. Hopefully, none of us will have an issue either way! :)

Well All!

A good discussion here. I did manage to find my drivers license. WOO Hoo! So it was moot. I am interested to hear that several states will give you a new license right away -- in Minnesota they said 7-10 business days!

I always take copies of the passports ashore, but leave the passport books and at least one credit card in the safe along with a copy of all the credit cards with us on the trip unless the foreign government requires visitors to keep their passports with them.

We have also e-mailed copies of the info pages on the passports to ourselves and can access them from anywhere just in case the passports get lost or stolen. It speeds up getting a new one issued.

I had my wallet stolen on the beach in Curacao. Thankfully, the passports were in the safe on the ship. I had to start canceling the credit cards as soon as we got back to the ship. We also scan all the credit cards we will be taking on a trip and have a copy of that. It made it much easier to cancel the cards. When I got home I used my passport as my ID at the DMV. I also took the opportunity to have name on the DL changed to match my passport. Now they both have my given first and middle names and last name. The DL had my maiden name as the middle name. With that change on the DL my new voters registration came in the same name as the passport for the first time in 30 years. Now, Social Security, Passport, Voters Registration and Drivers License all match! That was the Silver Lining in that cloud.

Wow. How was your wallet stolen in Curacao?

I too would never take my passport off the ship unless required for a specific foreign country...a passport is VERY VALUABLE on the black market and would be a prime target for theft.

And if you are injured and have to be in a foreign hospital - you of course would advise the ship of this - they could get into your safe in an emergency situation and get your passport to you if required....I know they have even 'packed' up cruisers if they are stuck in a port for whatever reason..... This is why you should ALWAYS take the funtimes with you or that piece of paper with the port agent name/contact # off the ship - so you can call if you happen to get into trouble!!!

I too would never take my passport off the ship unless required for a specific foreign country...a passport is VERY VALUABLE on the black market and would be a prime target for theft.

And if you are injured and have to be in a foreign hospital - you of course would advise the ship of this - they could get into your safe in an emergency situation and get your passport to you if required....I know they have even 'packed' up cruisers if they are stuck in a port for whatever reason..... This is why you should ALWAYS take the funtimes with you or that piece of paper with the port agent name/contact # off the ship - so you can call if you happen to get into trouble!!!

If you have a passport issued after Dec. 2005 it will have a biometric chip in it. When read it has all of your personal info including a copy of your picture. This makes them more secure and less valuable if stolen.

Base on the thread title, I thought this was a question but the content of the post isn't a question.

But to answer the title, I use the passport for boarding the ship and the DL to go with the S&S card for reentering security in port.

I've read all the arguments about "oh, you might be mugged or a pickpocket will steal it!" Yeah, well, it's a lot more likely that I'll twist an ankle on uneven pavement and end up in an ER and miss the ship than it is that I'll have my passport stolen! ;)[/QUOT

I would do the same if I had a passport!

In most ports in the world "whilst on a cruise" all you need is a copy of your passport ashore.

Some Asian ports I have visited on a cruise all passenger and crew passports are collected at embarkation and only returned after leaving the foreign ports 12 mile limit, with these cruises they have a photo copier in the cruise terminal at embarkation port for passengers to use so they have a copy of their passport whilst ashore.

If you miss the ship through your own fault your passports are handed to the port authority agent or cruise agent in that port, staff will enter your cabin and search for your passports in your safe. This is why they tell you to only take a "Copy" because in most ports on a cruise you are classed as "In Transit" by the visited port authority.:)

You would not be able to visit a port on a cruise to either Vietnam or Indonesia for example if you insisted on having your passport with you because immigration from both those countries board the ship and hold your passports until you leave their countries 12 mile limit:)

When you wake up in the morning, get dressed, and leave for work, what do you bring? My guess, it's your driver's license. You most likely will also bring you ID badge if so needed at work. You don't think twice about it. You just bring it. No debate on this issue. Why do you bring it? Because it's your ID. You need it to drive. You need it in many cases to show who you are. Maybe for a credit card purchase. Maybe to get a drink if you are younger.

So your DL is no longer an official ID once you leave the USA. So what now replaces it? It's your passport. So why is there a big discussion of why you would or would not bring it with you? You bring your worthless DL but you don't bring your real ID that is accepted?

Have you ever handed a police officer a photo copy of your DL, and tell him the real one is locked up? What will happen. You get a ticket for driving without a DL.

Should not be a debate here. It is your official ID once you leave the USA. (or any other country).

The only real debate is whether you bring it or not for any "silly" reason you can think of.

So your DL is no longer an official ID once you leave the USA. So what now replaces it? It's your passport. So why is there a big discussion of why you would or would not bring it with you? You bring your worthless DL but you don't bring your real ID that is accepted?

That's not true. Your DL is still an official ID. We have used our DL as IDs when entering a pier to reboard the ship at two different ports: St. Croix and Cozumel. We had to show IDs and S&S cards. Yes, a passport does the same thing but if you don't have a passport, your DL will work as an ID.

Getting or renewing a passport can be a royal PITA, however you only have to do it once every 10 years and it does make things easier to have one when traveling. It's very easy to order docs on line if you need them to support proof of ID. Just had to renew my wife's. Needed certified copy of marriage certificate, ordered it on line, received it in 1 week.

I just renewed my passport again. It had an expiration date of 3/27/2015...but I needed to do it now (started the process when I got off the Breakaway 5/11/14) because I'm cruising alot in the fall & winter this year & couldn't be without it! I filled out the paperwork, went to our Post Office for a new photo (the new photo is no better than the last few lol :rolleyes:), wrote the check for $110 & sent it off express mail...and 4 weeks later I received it back, express mail....very easy, thank goodness!

I have my passport in my back pocket at all times when on a cruise and when traveling. It is your best form of identification and proof of citizenship. I believe that the Federal Government should provide every citizen with a passport at no cost to the citizen. The savings on fraud in all programs and activities would make the cost of this program look like a drop in the bucket.