Indulgence

Big_G

We sailed Summit June 15th to Bermuda. I'm not much for writing reviews but after reading a couple from our cruise, I noticed no one mentioned the new party that premiered on that cruise called Indulgence. It was held in a closed off Cellar Masters. The cost was $39 per person which included cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, and a show. It was like a cabaret cocktail party with many performers in character mingling with the crowd. It reminded me of Royal Caribbean's Prohibition Party but with a different theme, many more characters, and better food and drink. We're still really not sure what the actual theme was but we had a great time. Being the party's inauguration there was one mix-up when the new CD Ken Mills promoted it as open bar. Woops! Not exactly but when they were told that it was promoted as open bar, they let people get the drinks they wanted. I highly recommend it to others.

eaa0c7d6-23f6-47fb-9889-e7747bf13894_zps55758928.jpg8753626b-a98d-4de8-9d83-7628cffafa5f_zps5e2d1b5e.jpg

Very interesting!

Seems they have found another source of revenue.

At least it sounds fun and you had a good time.

Thanks for your post.

Huh:confused: The show was free! It was held in Cellar Master's which is a Bar! They should give away free drinks??? It is not a "new" source of revenue but a "new" activity which everyone has been looking for. I think it sounds like fun!

Edited by Christine Frances

Huh:confused: The show was free! It was held in Cellar Master's which is a Bar! They should give away free drinks??? It is not a "new" source of revenue but a "new" activity which everyone has been looking for. I think it sounds like fun!

OP said there was a cover charge of $39 pp ?

Sounds sexy! Maybe they're trying to replace liquid with this? Did liquid happen on your sailing? I think I would try it, def over liquid! Lol about Ken's goof. I'm glad you had a good time, thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh :confused: ...???

IMHO.. Always better to read a post correctly before negatively responsing..

Srpilo

Oops:(. Sorry I missed that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sounds sexy! Maybe they're trying to replace liquid with this? Did liquid happen on your sailing? I think I would try it, def over liquid! Lol about Ken's goof. I'm glad you had a good time, thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we had a lot of liquid on this cruise... Oh sorry, you meant the party Liquid? Yes they had that too. :D We did not attend though.

Am I the only once who is saddened by the fact that they are devoting time and effort of their development team, the cruise director and entertainment staff to an extra cost entertainment/party event instead of an entertainment/party event that all passengers can enjoy as part of their cruise fare? At $39/pp this adds nearly $80 (plus tip?) for one entertainment event of a type that has been free in the past.

Am I the only once who is saddened by the fact that they are devoting time and effort of their development team, the cruise director and entertainment staff to an extra cost entertainment/party event instead of an entertainment/party event that all passengers can enjoy as part of their cruise fare? At $39/pp this adds nearly $80 (plus tip?) for one entertainment event of a type that has been free in the past.

The tip must have been included in the original price. That said, I wasn't aware that these type of events had been offered free in the past. Was that with cocktails and food?

The tip must have been included in the original price. That said, I wasn't aware that these type of events had been offered free in the past. Was that with cocktails and food?

Celebrity hasn't had that type of event with cocktails although they do have a Captain's Club party in the past which had cocktails included but not too much in the way of entertainment.

Over the years they've had a lot of different types of parties. In recent years some of the parties are bit interactive with the entertainment staff on the dance floor doing a bit of a show. For example on recent cruises they've had a party at least one night in the atrium with the entertainment staff doing songs, dances and a bit of skit. Some parties are held by the pool or in the Sky lounge (different name on the M class ships) and those have had food in the past although I'm guessing the level and quality of the food probably are lower than the new extra cost party.

Clearly if this party had nicer than average food, some cocktails included and nice entertainment then it is a bit different. But at the same time it is using up entertainment and other resources for a small number of passengers who are willing to pay extra when these resources might otherwise be used to present other entertainment events open to all passengers without an extra charge.

In my mind charging for entertainment is a huge step away from the all inclusive nature of cruising that we've enjoyed over the years.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to shell out $80 for an entertainment party on board. With the larger no extra cost parties we've been to over the years we've found some were great and we really enjoyed them and some not so nice. I'd like to be able to stop be and see what's happening and not feel that I've wasted that much money if we decide not to stay long.

Edited by Lsimon

Celebrity hasn't had that type of event with cocktails although they do have a Captain's Club party in the past which had cocktails included but not too much in the way of entertainment.

Over the years they've had a lot of different types of parties. In recent years some of the parties are bit interactive with the entertainment staff on the dance floor doing a bit of a show. For example on recent cruises they've had a party at least one night in the atrium with the entertainment staff doing songs, dances and a bit of skit. Some parties are held by the pool or in the Sky lounge (different name on the M class ships) and those have had food in the past although I'm guessing the level and quality of the food probably are lower than the new extra cost party.

Clearly if this party had nicer than average food, some cocktails included and nice entertainment then it is a bit different. But at the same time it is using up entertainment and other resources for a small number of passengers who are willing to pay extra when these resources might otherwise be used to present other entertainment events open to all passengers without an extra charge.

In my mind charging for entertainment is a huge step away from the all inclusive nature of cruising that we've enjoyed over the years.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to shell out $80 for an entertainment party on board. With the larger no extra cost parties we've been to over the years we've found some were great and we really enjoyed them and some not so nice. I'd like to be able to stop be and see what's happening and not feel that I've wasted that much money if we decide not to stay long.

I understand. I guess this is the future of cruising and apparently there's a market for it. I'm evidence of that. ;)

I agree with you. Last cruise in May the two activities personnel (cut from 4) plus the DJ who they count as a 3rd part of that staff even though he wasn't part of most activities, were literally run ragged. They were (or tried to be) at all events day and night and there was not enough time for them to be everywhere at once. At times band members (and some entertainment staff) filled in for Trivia or other activities and it surely wasn't the same atmosphere or energy. Am getting more than a bit tired of money making activities for a small number taking the lead over the majority of passengers. However, in the last couple years, the buck (rather than passengers) seems to be the ultimate goal of the Company.................

Nice....I would love to attend this show. I prefer a smaller venue and wouldn't mind to pay the cover charge for a nice show. 10:30 p.m. is a little late for a start time for me unless the next day was day at sea and I could sleep in.

Can't wait till I get enough pennies together to cruise on the Summit again.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with you. Last cruise in May the two activities personnel (cut from 4) plus the DJ who they count as a 3rd part of that staff even though he wasn't part of most activities, were literally run ragged. They were (or tried to be) at all events day and night and there was not enough time for them to be everywhere at once. At times band members (and some entertainment staff) filled in for Trivia or other activities and it surely wasn't the same atmosphere or energy. Am getting more than a bit tired of money making activities for a small number taking the lead over the majority of passengers. However, in the last couple years, the buck (rather than passengers) seems to be the ultimate goal of the Company.................

I agree, I was on a different ship than you, but the exact same week and the entertainment "staff" which had been hatcheted a week before was literally run ragged and beside themselves....it was actually sad to watch......

Hey everyone, thanks for the great posts!

Two questions I have:

1. Does anyone have any pictures of the event that they could share? It sounds pretty interesting!

2. Do they rope off the Cellar Masters area for the event and make pax go above/below deck 5 to move past it? The only reason I ask is that if it is indeed a $39/pp I would think they would have something in place to see who paid and who didn't so random people couldn't just go and get drinks and whatnot.

Thanks in advance and Happy Cruising!

They closed off doors to entrance of Bistro and other two entrances. It really looked enticing and promoed as romantic. No pictures though. They had a lot of decorations. Lots of red and dark romantic colors.

Im not really sure what to make of this and I'd certainly need more details before committing to an extra $80. I'd be interested however in your views of how this differs from specialty dining - which is essentially an extra cost for something you can also get for "free" (I do understand the specialty restaurants are somewhat nicer than the MDR and perhaps even Blu and I thought we received pretty good value for what we paid to dine in 2 of them).

Sounds like an updated rehash of when they re-decorated/defaced the upstairs lounges on M class ships with hanging rags (like the underground in Phantom of the Opera) , and installed lounger beds. Cirque looking characters mingled with guests often touching without asking..Many found it creepy and the idea seems to have flopped...they ended up removing the rags and beds along with the sensual oils store.

They last used the tag line "awaken the senses " for culinary events and a cookbook.

I think the pvt party idea is fine for those who want to pay , like the mystery dinner, wine tasting, pairing dinners, elegant tea, but dislike the focus on sensual and seductive.... Maybe allusions to sex sells but we much prefer the concept of the gastro pub......

point was also well founded that the included entertainment budget will further suffer from diverted resources and the money for live music will be cut as well

Edited by hcat

Sounds like an updated rehash of when they re-decorated/defaced the upstairs lounges on M class ships with hanging rags (like the underground in Phantom of the Opera) , and installed lounger beds. Cirque looking characters mingled with guests often touching without asking..Many found it creepy and the idea seems to have flopped...

Thanks for bringing back the memory of the lounger beds!

Edited by ecslady

Im not really sure what to make of this and I'd certainly need more details before committing to an extra $80. I'd be interested however in your views of how this differs from specialty dining - which is essentially an extra cost for something you can also get for "free" (I do understand the specialty restaurants are somewhat nicer than the MDR and perhaps even Blu and I thought we received pretty good value for what we paid to dine in 2 of them).

If they are brining on additional entertainment staff to run this and not cutting back on the other entertainment events, or the resources (including management and staffing) to run them then it shouldn't impact things just as specialty dining has different staff, kitchen and dining room. However I doubt this is the case. I guess I'm concerned of potential cuts in "no-extra-charge" entertainment if paid entertainment becomes the norm. On the one hand it would be nice if the costs were not too high and the entertainment was a higher caliber. On the other hand you do have the issue that it costs money to find out if you even like it or not. And if not then too bad as the money is spent.

If they are brining on additional entertainment staff to run this and not cutting back on the other entertainment events, or the resources (including management and staffing) to run them then it shouldn't impact things just as specialty dining has different staff, kitchen and dining room. However I doubt this is the case. I guess I'm concerned of potential cuts in "no-extra-charge" entertainment if paid entertainment becomes the norm. On the one hand it would be nice if the costs were not too high and the entertainment was a higher caliber. On the other hand you do have the issue that it costs money to find out if you even like it or not. And if not then too bad as the money is spent.

Yep, I see your point. As I said I'm firmly on the fence - although as a very new cruiser, I'm still excited about the basic forms of entertainment offered such as that in the theatre (or, frankly just hanging around on a ship!) so I'd probably give it a miss.

We were on the Explorer in May and they had what was billed as a "Dinner Theatre" in the Specialty Restaurant for, I think, a $55 Cover. More than the normal dinner, but included wine. The actors were from the show staff, but not the top people. I though the show parts were very lame. Dinner was good. There were 60 guests.

If this could be perfected, it would be a good event. I wouldn't mind a small upcharge if it was for something good and semi private.

On the other hand, my nickel and dime bag is getting harder to haul onboard.

Jeff