Norway scenery vs Alaska scenery

We have already taken an Alaskan cruise and now planning a Norway fjord cruise next summer. I am curious to find out if anyone on the forum has done both already and can compare the landscape/scenery of the 2. Alaska was spectacular on the Vancouver to Anchorage route with Glacier Bay, the mountains, etc.

The Norwegian landscape and Fjords look breathtaking in the photos I have seen and I can't wait to go on our cruise.

I totally get that they each have their own type of beauty , and beauty is relative, but wondering if you found one to be "more spectacular" than the other.

Thanks

I have never taken an Alaskan cruise (Yet!), but I will say the Norwegian views were fantastic. Posting your specific ports of your cruise might also help solicit more specific details. Some Norwegian cruises are fjord heavy and some are more coastal and that will mean a difference of scenery.

We have already taken an Alaskan cruise and now planning a Norway fjord cruise next summer. I am curious to find out if anyone on the forum has done both already and can compare the landscape/scenery of the 2. Alaska was spectacular on the Vancouver to Anchorage route with Glacier Bay, the mountains, etc.

The Norwegian landscape and Fjords look breathtaking in the photos I have seen and I can't wait to go on our cruise.

I totally get that they each have their own type of beauty , and beauty is relative, but wondering if you found one to be "more spectacular" than the other.

Thanks

If you refresh you post a week or two from now, some of us on the 7/10 Oslo to Copenhagen North Cape and fjords cruise may have some thoughts on this subject. We've been to Alaska twice, on HAL and Regent, but this will be our first time on Regent.

I have not done both, yet - unfortunately - but here you will find two videos, where you can discover some of the the differences -however, might not show all the beautiful sceneries.

Cruising the Magnificent Fjords of Norway

[YOUTUBE]_ZzhGY8x_2E[/YOUTUBE]

Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska

[YOUTUBE]E0oUvR8UaTY[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for posting these awesome videos, Hallasm. Our Norway cruise next summer will take us to some of these fjords in the video. We cruised to Alaska in 2012 and it was beautiful and Glacier Bay breathtaking.

Joanandjoe, thanks. I will bump this later this month I will be interested in your thoughts. Have a wonderful trip!

I haven't been to Norway yet, but am also booked for 2015. We have been to Alaska 2 times, and going on our 3rd this summer (in 20 days, to be exact). I am assuming from pictures there won't be glaciers, but more like cursing in the fjords to the glaciers with the mountains and the waterfalls.

We are cruising to Bergen, Stavenger, Kristiansted, Gerainger, and Alesund. I think Gerainger is the only actual "fjord"? I'm still trying to read and get it all straight so I can prepare to book excursions or determine port days early next year.

I can't wait to start reading new reviews from those going this summer.

We cruised the Norwegian fjords the year after we did an Alaskan cruise. My overall impression was that Alaska was very blue and Norway is very green. They're both spectacular, but in different ways.

Alaska is full of tidewater glaciers, which are breathtaking! It's not uncommon to see whales from the ship, and wildlife spotting on the shore is always popular.

In Norway, the drama comes from the green mountains rising on either side of the ship. The waterways are deep and narrow, and it's amazing how far into the mainland they run. Instead of glaciers and wildlife, the scenery is about towering cliff faces, waterfalls, and colorful wooden farms and fishing huts.

I've done both and they are both spectacular in their own ways.

In Alaska you don't often go through true fjords, but up the Inside Passage, which is much more of a wide navigation channel. Most of the time you are in fairly wide stretches of sea (1/2 mile to a couple of miles). There are exceptions, such as the approach to Ketchikan. However, you are much more likely to see whales (if thats what you are into!) as they can swim by the ship more easily. Also, the ship has the option to go right up to a glacier face (eg Hubbard).

In Norway you will go down at least one, possibly 2 or 3 fjords. These are much narrower, steeper sided, deep and longer. I think the fjord to Gerainger is about 80 miles and for most of the last half you would struggle to spin the ship round. The scenery generally is much closer and you will (almost) get sick of the sight of a waterfall!:D Use the ships facilities in Norway as local eateries are expensive (eg a Big Mac [no fries/drink] in Stavanger worked out to $11. A couple we met went to Pizza Hut and had a pizza and a beer each...over $30).

Climate is similar in both...usually showery in Summer, but if you get a sunny day they are spectacular. Gerainger looked great even though it poured down when we were there.

In conclusion, they are both similar, but different. If I had to pick one over the other, I'd probably go for Norway, but theres not a lot in it. Just enjoy the experience. I did!

Simon

To me, Norway is Alaska on steroids - but I think it depends on the actual itinerary and time of year you travel. I believe the fjords in Norway are more dramatic and are narrower than those in Alaska - sometimes it felt like I could almost touch the cliffs as we cruised along!

Liz

• 1 month later...

Husband and I just booked for the Star also for 5/20 and very excited about the scenery. We are also booked for 8/7 to Alaska, Vancouver - Anchorage, with all the kids + their other halves. My camera will be having a real workout next year!

Jeanne

I've done both and they are both spectacular in their own ways.

In Alaska you don't often go through true fjords, but up the Inside Passage, which is much more of a wide navigation channel. Most of the time you are in fairly wide stretches of sea (1/2 mile to a couple of miles). There are exceptions, such as the approach to Ketchikan. However, you are much more likely to see whales (if thats what you are into!) as they can swim by the ship more easily. Also, the ship has the option to go right up to a glacier face (eg Hubbard).

In Norway you will go down at least one, possibly 2 or 3 fjords. These are much narrower, steeper sided, deep and longer. I think the fjord to Gerainger is about 80 miles and for most of the last half you would struggle to spin the ship round. The scenery generally is much closer and you will (almost) get sick of the sight of a waterfall!:D Use the ships facilities in Norway as local eateries are expensive (eg a Big Mac [no fries/drink] in Stavanger worked out to $11. A couple we met went to Pizza Hut and had a pizza and a beer each...over $30).

Climate is similar in both...usually showery in Summer, but if you get a sunny day they are spectacular. Gerainger looked great even though it poured down when we were there.

In conclusion, they are both similar, but different. If I had to pick one over the other, I'd probably go for Norway, but theres not a lot in it. Just enjoy the experience. I did!

Simon

You nailed it!! Great description. Both have their own beauty. True about the waterfalls. I guess I would give Alaska the edge but strictly subjective

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Fjords in Norway are spectacular. There's nothing like that in Alaska. Conversely for glaciers and wildlife Alaska beats Norway. To really get the most out of Alaska though you really need to get a bit off the beaten track (say with a bush plane trip). In Norway it's all right there, sort of staring right back at you.