Independent excursions in Alaska

Stormingsal

Have just booked Silver Shadow for 21 August - ultra excited :) Would like to see whales and also bear catching salmon. (i know that the latter is not guaranteed) Wondered if anyone could recommend some independent tour operators for these 2 activities - probably Juneau and Ketchikan. Also any other recommendations for activities would be very much appreciated.

In Ketchikan I highly recommend taking the float plane one way into the fjords and the boat the other way. Two totally different perspectives, and usually you will see some whales on the boat ride.

Thank you all for your advice. Have checked out the Alaska forum and have also booked us on the Neats Bay trip. Hope we are lucky. I have found a few independent tours, they are about $25-50 cheaper pp but wood hate to miss the boat (or ship as my husband insists)!

We had a wonderful whale watching trip in Sitka with Captain Paul of Gallant adventures. Not only whales, but puffins, sea otters and bears. He is a great guy with lots of enthusiasm. You can google him or check Trip Advisor.

Enjoy! We will be onboard July 31.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be sailing with you on the 21st :D I love Alaska (and live in) and this is my first time on Silversea super excited!

I was going to suggest that you book bear watching out of Ketchikan and whale watching out of Juneau, but it looks like you already figured that out. I haven't been to Neets bay but last time I was in Ketchikan I did an excursion to Anan Creek. It was by far one of the best excursions I have done on any cruise! Saw both brown (grizzles) and black bears.

I think you are really going to enjoy Alaska. Maybe I will see you around the ship.

Tonya

I shall definitely check out the Gallant trip, sounds really good. Thanks Tonya for your reply too. I also am super excited. It is my third Silverseas voyage, I think you will really enjoy it. Hope to see you on board - listen out for an English accent!

Sarah