Vaccinations for Panama Canal Transit?

We are doing a Full transit on Island Princess from east to west in late Oct.

My GP was concerned that we should have vaccinations for Typhoid, Hepatitis A & malaria but asked me to find out from experienced cruisers whether this is actually required or advised for a trip where you are ship-based & only in the Ports for a matter of hours each stop.

Our ports of call are Aruba, Cartagena, Puntarenas, San Juan del Sur & Cabo San Lucas.

Thanks in advance

My GP was concerned that we should have vaccinations for Typhoid, Hepatitis A & malaria but asked me to find out from experienced cruisers whether this is actually required or advised for a trip where you are ship-based & only in the Ports for a matter of hours each stop.

Our ports of call are Aruba, Cartagena, Puntarenas, San Juan del Sur & Cabo San Lucas.

Thanks in advance

We did the same itinerary on Coral Princess in 2006, Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles. We already had the yellow fever jab, so were happy with that. It really is a personal decision whether or not you have Tetanus/Hep B jabs. If your Doc recommends them, by all means get them. But I don't think they are necessary. We have been to South and Central America 4 times now, no problems. Never saw a Mossie during the Panama Canal Cruise mentioned.

Your last 3 ports we also just visited on our South American cruise - Golden Princess in March this year, no mossies, no mad dogs with rabies.

Just my two bobs worth.

Edited by NSWP

I can't give you medical advice, I can only tell you what we decided to do after researching the subject.

We went through the canal early last year and will be doing a full transit again late this month.

We did not eat ashore or drink local water so typhoid and Hep A were not relevant. Malaria was eradicated from the Canal Zone in 1908 (yes - 1908). Anyway, we did not see even one mosquito while we were on the ship doing a full transit, or the next day when we did a full-day shore tour.

We are very cautious about taking anti-malaria medication because it can have very unpleasant side effects. Maybe if we were going on a cruise up the Amazon we would have to have it, but I would do more research before making that decision. The same applies to Yellow Fever.

Our doctor advised us if we are going into a malaria region briefly (not staying there for an extended period) it is better to wear long sleeves and long pants and use insect spray on exposed skin. We took Bushman's brand repellent with a high percentage of DEET on our Panama cruise, but didn't use it.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Thanks in advance

None of the vaccines are required.

Malaria vaccine does not exist. Typhoid and Hep A vaccines are recommended. Since those illnesses are spread through food, drink and physical contact, you have a chance of becoming ill even in the standard "tourist" setting in town (think vendors that are selling you drinks and souvenirs and are handing you back change). But it's really up to you (as the posts above me indicate, you can basically choose to limit any potential exposure while in port).

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. We are very grateful for the information & will probably not worry about vaccinations, but be mosquito-safe as recommended & not eat or drink ashore.

Thanks in advance

Hello! We've done this cruise several times and never needed any vaccinations. I would suggest that you have a Tetanus shot every 10 years, no matter where you are.

We also eat and drink at the "major" restaurant's and bar's in each of the ports. You can depend on them to have "safe" food and water (or they wouldn't be in business long!). Just use common sense.

Have a wonderful cruise! Island is our favorite ship :) !

Edited by Plant

Hello! We've done this cruise several times and never needed any vaccinations. I would suggest that you have a Tetanus shot every 10 years, no matter where you are.

We also eat and drink at the "major" restaurant's and bar's in each of the ports. You can depend on them to have "safe" food and water (or they wouldn't be in business long!). Just use common sense.

Have a wonderful cruise! Island is our favorite ship :) !

Agreed, When were ashore, we either drank the Beer or Bottled water. No other drinks, no ice. We only ate things that are cooked or things prepackaged and nothing that would be washed in water prior to service (salads, etc).:D

Thanks in advance

Hi , We have just come home after 34 days on the Island Princess, travelled from Fort Lauderdale thru the Canal and up to Anchorage and back to Vancouver, and the only thing we caught was a bad case of the flu,we think from the disembarking lounge on our last day as we were close to a couple of sickies,it must have been one that our Flu injections didnt cover,.Other than that, we think the Island Princess is a beautiful Ship,and so well set out,about the only ship that I didnt get lost in. Enjoy it , Brenda.

Hi , We have just come home after 34 days on the Island Princess, travelled from Fort Lauderdale thru the Canal and up to Anchorage and back to Vancouver, and the only thing we caught was a bad case of the flu,we think from the disembarking lounge on our last day as we were close to a couple of sickies,it must have been one that our Flu injections didnt cover,.Other than that, we think the Island Princess is a beautiful Ship,and so well set out,about the only ship that I didnt get lost in. Enjoy it , Brenda.

Thanks so much for this, Brenda. Sorry you got the flu but glad you enjoyed the cruise & the ship. That is so encouraging. We have a lowly inside cabin on Island but are sure we will enjoy all she has to offer.

Get well soon :)

Good to hear you were relatively well for the whole trip.

The problem with Flu injections is that they can only stop you getting the last strains of flu.

The good thing about flu injections, (which IMHO makes them worth it), is that they limit the new types of flu that may affect you and also how bad you get sick. E.g. someone with out the flu injection may be sick for weeks while someone with it will only be sick for a few days.:D