Ultimate Dining Package?

staceycs

My husband and I will be traveling on the NCL Pearl to Alaska in a few weeks celebrating our 20th anniversary. I am trying to determine if we should book the ultimate dining package. If you have done this package did you feel it was worth it? My husband loves steak and we have eaten in the steak house on Carnival and thought it was fabulous. Are the specialty restaurants only open at night? If the specialty restaurants are open for lunch are they free? On the Magic the La Cucina was open for free to everyone for lunch but charged for dinner.

My husband and I will be traveling on the NCL Pearl to Alaska in a few weeks celebrating our 20th anniversary. I am trying to determine if we should book the ultimate dining package. If you have done this package did you feel it was worth it? My husband loves steak and we have eaten in the steak house on Carnival and thought it was fabulous. Are the specialty restaurants only open at night? If the specialty restaurants are open for lunch are they free? On the Magic the La Cucina was open for free to everyone for lunch but charged for dinner.

I will say that we have done one cruise with carnival on the freedom and the only positive comment about the ship was the steakhouse food was just high quality and very good unfortunately carnival really on has one specialty rest.

Other than for too many bad experience with that cruise we will never ever sail carnival again.

AS for NCL we don't and never have had a decent steak but they have other dishes and a great shrimp cocktail. We only eat at the specialty restaurants. Don't know about the lunch question as we don't want a big or heavy meal at lunch when the evening dinner is filling when ordering a couple apps. Some folks will rave about the steakhouse.

My wife and I are sailing 14 days on the Dawn in November, and we have thought about buying the package. For 14 days that would be $224 per person or $16 per day. Cagney's is $30pp, so is we ate 7+ nights there we would break even. Teppanyaki is $25pp, and we would not go there. The others are $10 to $20pp.

If we eat every night at a surcharged location, and 7 nights at Cagney's, then it would be a slight value. We have not made up our minds.

If you buy the package, you will feel you need to eat there every night.

My opinion (only) is to not do it.

Some nights you might want to eat at the buffet, or MDR or Blue Lagoon or room service or ashore. BUT - if you have paid for the UDP - you feel like you should do them.

If you buy the package, you will feel you need to eat there every night.

My opinion (only) is to not do it.

Some nights you might want to eat at the buffet, or MDR or Blue Lagoon or room service or ashore. BUT - if you have paid for the UDP - you feel like you should do them.

That is my feeling though eating half of the nights at Cagney's has its appeal.

I know on Getaway, we could eat at a different specialty restaurant 5 of 7 nights on our cruise, including Cagney's, and still save money NOT buying the UDP. I suggest you simply write down which restaurants you think you might want to eat, and how many times, and then do the math.

We have not done the UDP, but we are frequent cruisers with NCL and have eaten in almost all of the specialty restaurants. Based on where we like to eat and wanting to save one night to eat in the MDR, I can't pencil out that the UDP has any value for us.

But it's nice to have options.

I know on Getaway, we could eat at a different specialty restaurant 5 of 7 nights on our cruise, including Cagney's, and still save money NOT buying the UDP. I suggest you simply write down which restaurants you think you might want to eat, and how many times, and then do the math.

However, on the Getaway, if you purchase the UDP, Illusionarium dinner/show is free on Day 1.

I'm doing an 11 day cruise in November and figure I will save $90 by purchasing the UDP.

You should look at the restaurants you want to eat at and then figure out if it is worth it for you.

For example, if you did a dinner in each of the six specialty restaurants, that would be $125 per person without the UDP and then add one more restaurant, let's say Cagney's, at it would be $155. The UDP for a seven night cruise is $119, so you could save $36. Obviously, if you eat more times in Cagney's and Teppanyaki (like I will) and not in Lotus Garden or La Cucina, you will save even more.

Cagney's - $30

Teppanyaki - $25

Le Bistro - $20

Moderno - $20

La Cucina - $15

Lotus Garden - $15

Edited by NLH Arizona

However, on the Getaway, if you purchase the UDP, Illusionarium dinner/show is free on Day 1.

Yep...especially if you choose to eat somewhere else that night - before or after the show! ;) You would then get a dinner and the show the first night - if the "value" of the UDP is a concern. :D

Yep...especially if you choose to eat somewhere else that night - before or after the show! ;) You would then get a dinner and the show the first night - if the "value" of the UDP is a concern. :D

That's right!!!! We booked La Cucina before the Illusionarium and then we will eat some more at the dinner show. My wife is not a big steak lover so she will probably just order double shrimp at the show. Oh. I'm starting to get hungry again!!!

Not sure where we will go for dessert.

Edited by thraak

One question I have not seen answered or maybe I missed it:

Does buying the UDP give you priority in making reservations over say

someone who pays the $30 surcharge for a one time/night dining ?

I did like the former program of buying -3- nights with a discount.

Worked fine on a 7 day cruise leaving 4 nights to sample other fares.

One question I have not seen answered or maybe I missed it:

Does buying the UDP give you priority in making reservations over say

someone who pays the $30 surcharge for a one time/night dining ?

I did like the former program of buying -3- nights with a discount.

Worked fine on a 7 day cruise leaving 4 nights to sample other fares.

Not that I know of....but it seems to me that you'd get priority by booking early over those who wait to do in on board. I'm guessing many of those who opt for the UDP will also opt to book once the option opens.

I hear it's 100 days out for Haven and 90 for all others now???

Edited by happy cruzin

Not that I know of....but it seems to me that you'd get priority by booking early over those who wait to do in on board. I'm guessing many of those who opt for the UDP will also opt to book once the option opens.

I hear it's 100 days out for Haven and 90 for all others now???

That's right, right to the minute. When the countdown clock said 90 days, I went on at 12:01 am and reserved dining and entertainment. (Balcony, non haven sailing).

Edited by thraak

Just got off the Gem and we had the Ultimate Dining Plan (UDP). The ship was filled to capacity with over 3000+ people. I was thrilled not to have to compete for the regular dining rooms.

One thing we did take advantage of was...dinner in Teppanyaki and dessert in La Cucina. I am not a fan of hibachi meals, but did it because my son loves it. I was thrilled to be able to eat delicious Italian desserts instead. There was no extra charge and they just rang it through the UDP. You could also do this with any restaurant if you choose.

Just an idea to ponder...

Wendy

Other bonus is that additional cost meals at the specialty restaurants are included in the UDP (like the lobster $10 upcharge at the frnech restaurants).

But looking back when we did this on the Breakaway, I would have just paid for the individual restaurants and maybe do a dinner buffet one night or two. I always find Taste/Savor too slow and terrible

We are on a 14 night sailing on Jade. $224 per person for this cruise. My wife and I may do 5 nights of specialty dining; so its no where near worth it for us. We enjoy main dining and buffet.

I find this thread interesting in that so many of you have said you would not get the UDP. This will be our first time on NCL and over and over again I keep reading about how there is not enough seating in the buffet area and the line ups for food are long and the food is really poor. Comments for the main dining room are also nearly always about the poor food quality and service. I just read the last two member reviews for the Jewel, which is the ship we are going on, and they both really panned the food. Like using the words inedible and disgusting. Now I realize everyone has their own food preferences but I started looking at the ratings people had given to the dining on the Jewel and each one that had given it a 4 or 5 star had eaten in the specialty restaurants and every one who gave it a 1 or 2 star had eaten in the dining room or at the buffet. Seems to me there is a message there.

It started me thinking that this is NCLs way of getting people to pay for their food and before we know it, food will be extra at all times on all cruises.

I've been cruising since early 80's and the quality of food has gone steadily downward. My husband and I just recalled that at one meal an appetizer choice was caviar with all the fixings. Our first (and last) time to try it.

I find this thread interesting in that so many of you have said you would not get the UDP. This will be our first time on NCL and over and over again I keep reading about how there is not enough seating in the buffet area and the line ups for food are long and the food is really poor. Comments for the main dining room are also nearly always about the poor food quality and service. I just read the last two member reviews for the Jewel, which is the ship we are going on, and they both really panned the food. Like using the words inedible and disgusting. Now I realize everyone has their own food preferences but I started looking at the ratings people had given to the dining on the Jewel and each one that had given it a 4 or 5 star had eaten in the specialty restaurants and every one who gave it a 1 or 2 star had eaten in the dining room or at the buffet. Seems to me there is a message there.

It started me thinking that this is NCLs way of getting people to pay for their food and before we know it, food will be extra at all times on all cruises.

I've been cruising since early 80's and the quality of food has gone steadily downward. My husband and I just recalled that at one meal an appetizer choice was caviar with all the fixings. Our first (and last) time to try it.

Don't know if that will ever happen!

But......there certainly is a trend - and not just with NCL - that the "basics" are included with other options available for a fee.

Guess it's that whole "different strokes for different folks" approach. ;)

Agreed - cruising has definitely changed!!

Even looking back at our first cruise - 2002 - we remember the menu being much for elegant and special than what is offered now. It was a great time to try or enjoy again some things that were not part of your typical meals at home (escargot, flaming baked alaska, etc.).

I guess I see both sides. :o Do I miss the that kind of cruising?? Sure! But the only thing constant is change...right?? ;)

If NCL are trying to get people eating in the speciality restaurants by giving them bad food in the MDR's (and people have been suggesting that for many years now) then all I can say is that they are doing an appalling job at it. It is very rare that you see a speciality restaurant that is full, and they aren't usually even close. Meanwhile the free options are very busy.

I would instantly ignore any review that uses words like "inedible". Yes, you can get some dishes which may not be as good as you would hope, but I can honestly say that I haven't had one single dish that was bad. I'll be willing to believe that someone could have a very bad meal once on a cruise, but anyone claiming that all the food is that bad have tastes which aren't shared by the majority. If NCL were really serving inedible food to the people who eat in the free restaurants (which is the vast majority of customers) then it's fair to say that they wouldn't be filling ships every week.

Personally, I would say that most of the meals I have had in free venues on NCL are good. Occasionally I have something that I think is just all right, but more often than that I have something which I think is very good.

I eat in speciality restaurants a few times each cruise, mainly as it seems a bit more like a night out or a special occasion. I wouldn't want to miss the MDR or somewhere like o'Sheehans for a few meals as well. We sometimes eat in the buffet because we have a young son who likes it, and I always find something good in there.

Basically, if you haven't done NCL before then don't let your mind be made up by other people before you sail. I'd suggest you forget the UDP and try it yourself. If you don't like it then pay for the speciality restaurants as you go. It won't cost much more than the UDP, but it's more likely that you will be quite happy with the MDR's, at least enough to end up spending less than the cost of the UDP.

That's just my opinion though.

Just got off the Gem and we had the Ultimate Dining Plan (UDP). The ship was filled to capacity with over 3000+ people. I was thrilled not to have to compete for the regular dining rooms.

One thing we did take advantage of was...dinner in Teppanyaki and dessert in La Cucina. I am not a fan of hibachi meals, but did it because my son loves it. I was thrilled to be able to eat delicious Italian desserts instead. There was no extra charge and they just rang it through the UDP. You could also do this with any restaurant if you choose.

Just an idea to ponder...

Wendy

Yep! There have been others who posted that they went to dinner one place before the show and then had dessert someplace else later in the evening. I remember one couple posting that they ate a couple of small meals each evening - usually at different restaurants instead of one big meal. Appetizer and entrée at one place then later in the evening appetizer and dessert some place else. It really seemed to work out well for them and got me thinking "outside the box" as to how to best enjoy our UDP on the Getaway!

Definitely a different - more flexible - way of going about it! A nice option to have - know that it's all included! ;) :D

If NCL are trying to get people eating in the speciality restaurants by giving them bad food in the MDR's (and people have been suggesting that for many years now) then all I can say is that they are doing an appalling job at it. It is very rare that you see a speciality restaurant that is full, and they aren't usually even close. Meanwhile the free options are very busy.

I would instantly ignore any review that uses words like "inedible". Yes, you can get some dishes which may not be as good as you would hope, but I can honestly say that I haven't had one single dish that was bad. I'll be willing to believe that someone could have a very bad meal once on a cruise, but anyone claiming that all the food is that bad have tastes which aren't shared by the majority. If NCL were really serving inedible food to the people who eat in the free restaurants (which is the vast majority of customers) then it's fair to say that they wouldn't be filling ships every week.

Personally, I would say that most of the meals I have had in free venues on NCL are good. Occasionally I have something that I think is just all right, but more often than that I have something which I think is very good.

I eat in speciality restaurants a few times each cruise, mainly as it seems a bit more like a night out or a special occasion. I wouldn't want to miss the MDR or somewhere like o'Sheehans for a few meals as well. We sometimes eat in the buffet because we have a young son who likes it, and I always find something good in there.

Basically, if you haven't done NCL before then don't let your mind be made up by other people before you sail. I'd suggest you forget the UDP and try it yourself. If you don't like it then pay for the speciality restaurants as you go. It won't cost much more than the UDP, but it's more likely that you will be quite happy with the MDR's, at least enough to end up spending less than the cost of the UDP.

That's just my opinion though.

That's a good point!!

We do frequent the specialty restaurants when we cruise. Just part of what we like to do. ;)

So...when NCL launched the UDP - I was worried that it would "pack" the restaurants and thus degrade the experience. But - at least so far - that has not been an issue! :)

That's a good point!!

We do frequent the specialty restaurants when we cruise. Just part of what we like to do. ;)

So...when NCL launched the UDP - I was worried that it would "pack" the restaurants and thus degrade the experience. But - at least so far - that has not been an issue! :)

From frequenting these boards, you would think that most people got the UDP, but that just shows how unrepresentative a bunch we are. Judging by what I have seen onboard on two cruises since it was launched, very few people get it.

I would be concerned if I was on a sailing where it was being given away free, but other than that I haven't noticed any difference in how busy the restaurants are. It looks to me as if those people who eat there anyway are getting the package but very few people like myself (who go a couple of times in a cruise) are being tempted.