FOS Helipad

Going to be sailing on FOS in just about two weeks, and I was wondering if someone can tell me which deck the helipad is on? I've read deck four and deck five. Just want to make sure I get it correct.

Thanks,

If you start on deck 4 (on the outer walkway deck) and go all the way forward, you'll come to some stairs leading up to deck 5 - that's where the pad is located on deck 5.

Edited by joepeka

Technically, it is on deck five. However, you get to the helipad from deck four. You have to climb a flight of stairs at the front of the ship from deck four to deck five to get there.

Joepeka and orville are spot on. The helipad is a pretty neat spot to visit. You get a great view and when you look up towards the bridge you get a good idea of how big the Freedom is. :)

Edited by Eng23

Going to be sailing on FOS in just about two weeks, and I was wondering if someone can tell me which deck the helipad is on? I've read deck four and deck five. Just want to make sure I get it correct.

Thanks,

Here's a hint - shortcut, or for those with mobility problems as those outside stairs from deck 4 to 5 are steep...

• From inside the ship at the Promenade deck 5 head into Pharaoh's Palace (the lounge forward deck 5).
  • Standing facing the stage turn right.
  • As you walk the DJ booth is on your right and you'll see two swinging doors (they kinda look like "crew only" doors but they're not.
  • Go through and there'll be another heavier door right in front of you about 10 feet.
  • This will take you outside to deck five and maybe 30-40 steps to the helipad.

This access is true for all Voyager & Freedom class ships :D

Here's a hint - shortcut, or for those with mobility problems as those outside stairs from deck 4 to 5 are steep...

• From inside the ship at the Promenade deck 5 head into Pharaoh's Palace (the lounge forward deck 5).
  • As you walk the DJ booth is on your right and you'll see two swinging doors (they kinda look like "crew only" doors but they're not.
  • Go through and there'll be another heavier door right in front of you about 10 feet.

Glad you mentioned this. It's kinda like a "secret route". :)

The helipad is my favorite place for sailaway.

I go up there immediately after the lifeboat drill and stay up there until we are out of the channel and into open water.

That is exactly what I did! :cool:

What side of the helipad do you stand on to face the restaurants like Fishlips?

Starboard side, which is the right side when facing the front part of the ship.

The helipad is a good place to see the stars at night, since it is very low lighting. Unless it cloudy of course.

We sail out of Galveston a lot, and it is a good place to watch the dolphins during sail-away.

Be aware that the helipad is usually very windy when the ship is moving.

Edited by Jimnbigd

• 1 month later...

I ride a scooter for anything more than a few steps. Thank you Hoopster95 for posting this -- now I will be able to join my CC friends for our sailaway on the bow of IndyOS next year!

Thanks for the tip.

I so agree.

We found this by accident on our second Freedom Crusie.

It is an easy way to get out.

Excellent directions.

Sea Ya

I ride a scooter for anything more than a few steps. Thank you Hoopster95 for posting this -- now I will be able to join my CC friends for our sailaway on the bow of IndyOS next year!

I believe that you will be required to climb about 10 stairs to get up to the helipad. My DH is a "wheelie" and unfortunately she cannot climb up there.

If I'm wrong about the stairs, someone let us know please.

OOOpss, just read Hoopster's post. Can a wheelchair really get out there????

Edited by grab007

I believe that you will be required to climb about 10 stairs to get up to the helipad. My DH is a "wheelie" and unfortunately she cannot climb up there.

If I'm wrong about the stairs, someone let us know please.

OOOpss, just read Hoopster's post. Can a wheelchair really get out there????

I believe there is a short flight of stairs right before you get on the helicopter pad.

Just saw this post... sorry for late reply. I didn't mention and I should have that once you're out on deck 5 and outside heading to the bow of the ship, to get on top of the actual helipad there are 4-5 more steel stairs. I have never noticed a handicapped lift out there for a wheelchair... I'm hoping you're able to get help leaving your chair at the base of these steps and getting help up the short steps. There are plenty of wooden seating benches immediately when you get up so that you can easily enjoy the view, breeze and time with your friends/family.

If your are permanently wheelchair bound, I am sorry to say that I don't believe you can get onto the helipad area unless a couple of staff are willing to pick you up and carry you up and then down the stairs (I'm guessing not... liability/insurance issues).

I always try to include a photo so I will look for one from this perspective of these stairs for you :)

Just saw this post... sorry for late reply. I didn't mention and I should have that once you're out on deck 5 and outside heading to the bow of the ship, to get on top of the actual helipad there are 4-5 more steel stairs. I have never noticed a handicapped lift out there for a wheelchair... I'm hoping you're able to get help leaving your chair at the base of these steps and getting help up the short steps. There are plenty of wooden seating benches immediately when you get up so that you can easily enjoy the view, breeze and time with your friends/family.

If your are permanently wheelchair bound, I am sorry to say that I don't believe you can get onto the helipad area unless a couple of staff are willing to pick you up and carry you up and then down the stairs (I'm guessing not... liability/insurance issues).

I always try to include a photo so I will look for one from this perspective of these stairs for you :)

Thanks Hoops. Sometimes I hate it when I'm right....sigh....:rolleyes:

I believe there is a short flight of stairs right before you get on the helicopter pad.

Here's a great picture I didn't include in my Navigator review... this picture was taken by my GF from inside our forward facing OV this past May.

I count 7 steps from deck 5 up onto the helipad... I really hope you have the ability to get up there! Note all the bench seating I mentioned. Also notice me standing there on the second bench from the right :p ... another rare personal photo to add to my collection :D

DSC06561_zpsab8ce94a.jpg