Why does Princess "skip" 13th deck?

Dreamer333

It seems the idea of them skipping "numbering" the 13th deck (yup, the 13th deck is there) is more related to hoteling than nautical superstitions. There's really nothing mentioned nautically regarding the number 13.

Thought I'd pass this on.

http://www.boaterexam.com/blog/2011/07/boater-superstitions.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Loved that link.

Any of the office building that I worked in did not have a labeled 13th floor. It was there, but so was the HVAC for the building.:)

Maybe there were only life vests for 12 passengers? If the boat was rated for a higher number, that seems kind of crazy.

No - plenty of life vests, in fact he tried recruiting additional people from the pier. He just kept crossing himself and saying "No 13, No 13"!

Most airliners don't have a row 13.

BA have row 13 and on the three class 777 (no first, 40 or 48 business class seats and 24 world traveller plus seating configuration) which serve some US destinations from Gatwick (notably Tampa and Orlando) row 13 is without doubt the best row in WT+ (premium economy).

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Why does Princess "skip" 13th deck?

Superstitious? Tradition? Trouble with booking that level?

Just curious if anyone knows.

I have always wondered that. In this modern technological age superstition simply does not exist. Society is so advanced that a single number is not going to hurt you. It is certainly not unlucky.

To me it is irrational and unintelligent to omit the number 13. Take this as an example if the number 13 was removed from all forms the ship would not be able to navigate the seas as they rely on a precise sequence of numbers to set courses and speeds.

Some think the silly superstition originated over the murder of the Knights Templar on Friday 13th.

To me I cannot tolerate irrationality and unintelligent acts. Omitting the number 13 is an unintelligent act and I consider it completely stupid and irrational. If I were running Princess cruises I would actually order that 13 be restored to all decks, lifeboats and cabin numbers to maintain uniformity and a proper sense of sequence and intelligence.

You will be hard pressed to find a building with a "13th" floor selection on an elevator, ships are no different.

Mike:)

P&O UK ships have a deck 13. It is numbered as such. In particular the Aurora and Oriana both have deck 13. It is called Deck 13 (Sun Deck) it is the equivalent of the deck 15 on the Princess Grand class ships.

On the Norwegian Star, you won't find any cabins with a "4" in the last two digits. I heard they didn't want a deck 4, but had to number it due to emergency regulations.

The ship was originally destined to be for Star cruises in China, but was turned over to NCL.

The superstition of four comes from an Asian culture. Norwegian is owned by Star Cruises and has a lot of association with Asia.

I can confirm that in Japanese culture the number four is called "shi" 四 which is often not used and instead they will say "yon" instead. The reason being is that "shi" is very similar to the Japanese verb "shinu" 死ぬ which means "to die" As Japan borrows Chinese characters and there is a link in superstition because some words are similar but I do not know the full details of the link. I know many Asians consider the number 4 unlucky.

P&O UK ships have a deck 13. It is numbered as such. In particular the Aurora and Oriana both have deck 13. It is called Deck 13 (Sun Deck) it is the equivalent of the deck 15 on the Princess Grand class ships.

There are exceptions to everything but the point was in the majority of all buildings in the US one will not find a "13" as a choice in an elevator.

And thank goodness you are not running Princess Cruises.

Mike:)

I have always wondered that. In this modern technological age superstition simply does not exist. Society is so advanced that a single number is not going to hurt you. It is certainly not unlucky.

To me it is irrational and unintelligent to omit the number 13. Take this as an example if the number 13 was removed from all forms the ship would not be able to navigate the seas as they rely on a precise sequence of numbers to set courses and speeds.

Some think the silly superstition originated over the murder of the Knights Templar on Friday 13th.

To me I cannot tolerate irrationality and unintelligent acts. Omitting the number 13 is an unintelligent act and I consider it completely stupid and irrational. If I were running Princess cruises I would actually order that 13 be restored to all decks, lifeboats and cabin numbers to maintain uniformity and a proper sense of sequence and intelligence.

I personally have no problem with 13, and I've booked myself in row 13 on airplanes plenty of times.

But I wonder if Princess would have problems booking cabins on deck 13?

I remember reading a story about some guys sneaking onto a hotel rooftop to bungee jump. They didn't take the missing 13th floor into account so their bungee cords were TOO LONG. Needless to say, they splattered.

Elevator panel in our hotel across from the cruise ship pier in San Diego.

DSC04381_zps2ec0dd41.jpg

I personally have no problem with 13, and I've booked myself in row 13 on airplanes plenty of times.

But I wonder if Princess would have problems booking cabins on deck 13?

I would happily book a cabin on a deck 13, I would stay in a hotel on level 13 and be happy to stay in a room number with 13.

I think as younger generations start becoming more predominant (the technology generation) we will see less of the superstitions.

.....................................snip.......................

I think as younger generations start becoming more predominant (the technology generation) we will see less of the superstitions.

Not necessarily a good thing. There's a lot to be said for superstitions and traditions.:)

But

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a32272867/dml_666_license_plate

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1174958/The-devils-work-Supercar-registration-plate-666-destroyed-mysteriously-bursts-flames.html

I live in an apartment building that was designed by a Japanese architect. As a result, it has no 4th, 13th or 14th floors, so the floors go 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15 (although it does have a P4 in the parking garage.) I've also heard that in China, buildings that are tall enough have been known to skip straight from floor 39 to 50.

Our 13th cruise was the worst we have had and it was last year 2013 :rolleyes:

Maybe Princess should just skip our 13th cruise credit and go right to 14:D

Edited by Musky Ike

Loved the OPs question. If anyone remembers the TV show "Batman" some of the bad guys lived on the 13th floor! We have been told that Howard Hughes is still alive an moves from ship to ship to live in his 13th Floor Suite!

Hank