Dress Code enforced on The Carnival Glory

I just got off the Glory yesterday. So many people were turned down at dinner, and asked to go change. On the first night a teenager in front of me was sent back because he was wearing a sleeveless jersey. On formal night a lot of men were sent back because they were wearing dressy short cargos with polo shirts. They want long pants to be worn on formal night.

In my 18 cruises, I have never seen anyone being turned down at the dining room. The worst part was the way they spoke to and addressed the teenager with the sleeveless jersey.

It's all about respect. I hate it when I dress up and my table mates look they just rolled in from the bar. Way to go Glory. (Of course, they didn't need to be rude to the passenger).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm actually glad to see them enforce the dress code. The dress code for elegant night clearly states no shorts so it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the dream a couple years ago we were turned away on elegant night. We both had shorts on. It was totally my fault, I read the funtimes for the previous day. My first clue should have been everyone else was dressed nice. Lol, the crew was very nice and respectful. I felt like a fool. Again, all my fault.

As a newbie, only two cruises so far, I can't say I have seen as much as you have regarding the dining room. But I have to say that on my two trips I was amazed what people would wear in the main dining room. I understand people are on vacation but come on, how hard is it to dress for dinner? And formal night? Most people in the MDR are in jeans, shorts and T shirts. I say it's about time that they turn 'em back. If you want casual, eat at the buffet. I say enforce the dress code! As far as how they were spoken to, I wasn't there but I have experience chastising people who think rules don't apply to them, and I know that anything critical said in the most sugary smiling voice is usually taken as a personal attack.

I for another am all for enforcing the dress code. I don't think the sundresses that go over bathing suits should be allowed either and as a parent because my teen is a reflection on me if he is coming with us to the dining room he knows that he is to be at the room to be showered and dressed by 5 as we normally have anytime dining or early seating. although my teen would not attempt to go to dinner in shorts... he loves his tux and would wear it to dinner every night... no matter what the age a passenger should not be talked to in a rude manner

I'm actually glad to see them enforce the dress code. The dress code for elegant night clearly states no shorts so it shouldn't have been a surprise.

I agree, glad to hear it.

I feel that rudeness is never acceptable from a cruise employee. They are trained to deal with difficult people without rudeness.

I like the look of cargo shorts for most places. I don't see cargo shorts as dressy on elegant night.

I am surprised to see the dress code enforced. I hope this is a trend.

I never, never, ever walked into the MDR for dinner with shorts or a polo shirt. Heck, the waiters were wearing tuxes or similar. I was ALWAYS suit or jacket and tie. It was comfy for me! On formal nights ("elegant") I was always in a tux.

I'm glad to hear they are enforcing it, as I am tired of the "slumming" down of many pax. If you can afford the cruise you can afford the clothes, and don't tell me about airline baggage fees either. If you can't afford the fees or the clothes, then you cannot afford the cruise. It is as simple as that.

If you want to wear your shorts and polo, then go to the lido or similar venue for the buffet.

Show some respect!

I agree 100%. Dress accordingly people. If theres a tablecloth on the table then you better be wearing some pants and at least a nice shirt. I'm afraid that Carnival taking away the tablecloths on some of the ships will add to the problem of not dressing appropriately. If the room doesn't look worthy of nicely dressed diners then they are going to get less. Carnival shouldn't expect diners to dress more elegantly if the just have wooden tables to dine on. I know how to dress by the way a restaurant looks and I think most people do too.

I never, never, ever walked into the MDR for dinner with shorts or a polo shirt. Heck, the waiters were wearing tuxes or similar. I was ALWAYS suit or jacket and tie. It was comfy for me! On formal nights ("elegant") I was always in a tux.

I'm glad to hear they are enforcing it, as I am tired of the "slumming" down of many pax. If you can afford the cruise you can afford the clothes, and don't tell me about airline baggage fees either. If you can't afford the fees or the clothes, then you cannot afford the cruise. It is as simple as that.

If you want to wear your shorts and polo, then go to the lido or similar venue for the buffet.

Show some respect!

Dress shorts and polo or nice top are approved for casual nights in MDR.

I've told this before, but back in November, on the Pride, a young man tried entering the dining room on elegant night with a tshirt and jeans shorts. He was turned away, but when the hostess turned to help someone with a scooter, the guy snuck in and sat with his cruisemates, who were dressed more appropriately. Then came the guy with his best satin Nike jogging suit. He was let in!

I agree with the others, if you don't want to bother with long pants and a buttoned down shirt at the least, eat on the lido. You don't HAVE to eat in the MDR. It's their ship, they can make the rules, but there are other options.

Hope they enforce it more.

I agree 100%. Dress accordingly people. If theres a tablecloth on the table then you better be wearing some pants and at least a nice shirt. I'm afraid that Carnival taking away the tablecloths on some of the ships will add to the problem of not dressing appropriately. If the room doesn't look worthy of nicely dressed diners then they are going to get less. Carnival shouldn't expect diners to dress more elegantly if the just have wooden tables to dine on. I know how to dress by the way a restaurant looks and I think most people do too.

I have no issue with nice pair of short and decent tops on both men and women, but on elegant night, (showing my age here) wear your Sunday best clothes.

I am not a fan of novely t-shirts at dinner what I find even more frustrating at any restaurant not just on a cruise ship is guys wearing ball caps at the table. showing my age again sorry

Show some respect!

I have never ever not worn shorts in a mdr.. It's what I'm comfortable in I don't care what you are wearing why do you care what I am .. I would follow the rules on formal night and just not go.. Shorts are allowd every other night

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no issue with nice pair of short and decent tops on both men and women, but on elegant night, (showing my age here) wear your Sunday best clothes.

I am not a fan of novely t-shirts at dinner what I find even more frustrating at any restaurant not just on a cruise ship is guys wearing ball caps at the table. showing my age again sorry

Ditto...I really prefer at least long pants and button shirt...at the worst dark black jeans in non-formal if allowed..I always have to read the thing and never worried abt anyone but me.

The ball hats are the real dumbing down of dressing I think..that and any hat at the table..when that went out it was bad..I think even at home..clean newly washed shirt and wash up at Sunday dinner and no hats allowed at the table period..this should be forced,,,the problem is..society has gone to heck with manners so much period...and I am almost mid fifties.

Edited by sjn911

If carnival has a dining room dress code and (some) passengers shop and pack for it, it seems only right that it be enforced.

Otherwise, the Lido deck and room service are available for those who choose a more casual setting. What's the big deal?

This seems so simple.

This is what worries me. My dad only wears shorts, generally. Even in winter. He usually wears jean shorts that I affectionately call "Dad Shorts". I'm hoping that he will be ok for casual nights wearing those and a polo.

I'm also hoping that using lobster and prime rib as an incentive to get him in khakis for elegant night will work. If not, will he be ok in jeans (pants, for clarification)? Black jeans? Fingers crossed, I don't want him to be turned away on his first cruise.

Edited by JillySue

There was a lady last cruise that showed up in fuzzy slippers and a housecoat. I didn't see if she was turned away, but I sure hope so.

I'd be happy wearing a gown every night. I understand that not everyone is like that, but there has to be some sort of code.