Do You Wear a Slip?

I have a half slip that I've had in my drawer for years!! Still put it in under my dresses that can be seen threw in the sun. I don't care if I never see those people again , to me it's the point that it's not Just my legs they can see it's all the way to my to my pantie covered crotch and I like to not expose myself to just anyone.

I guess I'll just never get to that point where I have the " who cares / I paid for it me" mentality.

...disclaimer this is just my opinion please do not throw stones...

I have a half slip that I've had in my drawer for years!! Still put it in under my dresses that can be seen threw in the sun. I don't care if I never see those people again , to me it's the point that it's not Just my legs they can see it's all the way to my to my pantie covered crotch and I like to not expose myself to just anyone.

I guess I'll just never get to that point where I have the " who cares / I paid for it me" mentality.

...disclaimer this is just my opinion please do not throw stones...

So agree with you toxicfairy I have three half slips (black,white and nude) that have served me well over the years. They have given me a smooth silouhette , helped with clinging fabrics and occasionally helped protect my modesty !! Almost all my dresses now are fully lined negating my need for a slip.

I'm another who still wears a half slip if I am afraid of see through. Since you're going to Alaska and tropical heat won't be an issue, I might be inclined to opt for a pair of white capri leggins. I have a couple of pair of black ones I wear when I need to do so. That way I'm covered -- literally -- even if a big gust of wind comes along!

Since the OP's question had to do with transparency, I wonder what value "slip shorts", bike shorts, even capri leggings might be? If other can see through the dress, they will still see one's legs, and not know that those legs are covered with a "second skin." What's the point? I get the idea of these undergarments might provide smoother lines, and most likely warmth, but not visual camouflage.

Good point.

I rarely wear slips. I do have some long knit evening skirts that I sometimes wear a half-slip with.

I think it very much depends on how the skirt drapes. I would wear beige (nude) underwear under a white dress (never white). If the dress was very sheer and clingy I would probably wear a beige slip, but if it's floaty and drapes nicely I wouldn't bother.

I now have a few pairs of Jockey's Skimmies Slipshorts and find them useful for skirts and dresses when I don't really want to wear shapewear but I'm worried about lines or show-through. They come in several colors, lengths, and styles; the wicking ones are good for warmer weather.

Quite a few colors are on sale at jockey.com

Thanks for the tip - these look perfect!

Since the OP's question had to do with transparency, I wonder what value "slip shorts", bike shorts, even capri leggings might be? If other can see through the dress, they will still see one's legs, and not know that those legs are covered with a "second skin." What's the point? I get the idea of these undergarments might provide smoother lines, and most likely warmth, but not visual camouflage.

The pettipants are fuller so don't show exact outline of legs so function somewhat like a slip.

I wear slips. In addition to the reasons others have mentioned, I think they prolong the life of skirts/dresses and lessen the skirt's wrinkling if you need to sit for long periods of time (all day at the office, for example). JC Penneys on-line has a good selection of half and full slips.

Edited by carol louise

Over here you can get them from ebay, or in department stores, see through is not a good look even if you have wonderful legs, perhaps it's because I'm British but underwear should be keep under, preferably unseen, a slip helps with that.

I'm guessing that you'll see all sorts of things being paraded as acceptable though, so go with what you're comfortable with.

I replied earlier that I do wear a half slip some time. The need for this was brought home to me at church on Sunday. A newly ordained Deacon was helping to serve Communion. She had on a somewhat tight, clingy light colored dress and black panties. IMO this was tacky under any circumstances but particularly tacky in this circumstance. A light colored slip would certainly have helped.

Mary Lou

Wearing light colored panties under light clothes would also solve that. Of course, there was no doubt she was wearing panties.

Slips and petti pants is a walk down memory lane. It also dragged out the nightmares of girdle wearing. Perhaps I should wear Spanx or something similar. I just can't go back to being confined and uncomfortable.

Back to the question, on the rare occasion I would wear a slip if modesty or the fabric requires it. I bought a cute little lined skirt that I found still left too much visible. It wasn't easy to find the right slip. I found it in a thrift store and it still had the old tags on it. Guess that was another person who gave up on slips a long time ago.

I always thought a maxi dress needed a maxi slip to look right. I don't know if they even sell these now.

I wear skirts or dresses all the time in hot weather. This isn't a fashion statement. I find them much cooler than anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I am 38 and live in Florida. I wear a full slip often. In addition to the modesty issue, I think they make many dresses more comfortable. I like having a lining in a dress, but if that's not included, a full slip does the job. It keeps things from clinging. It wicks away any sweat that would be captured by cotton. And I think the overall look is better.

I'm another who wears slips. Cotton in the summer. Ever tried to find cotton slips rather than nylon? vermontcountrystore.com. Not a stylish site, but loaded with old-fashioned things that are a hoot. Including cotton slips.

Under my little black dress, I love my full lacy silk slip from Wintersilks.com. I feel Sooooo slinky. And should you ever be going somewhere cold, Wintersilks has delicious silk long johns that just glide under tight pants and tops and add a lovely layer of warmth.

Slips and petti pants is a walk down memory lane. It also dragged out the nightmares of girdle wearing. .... I just can't go back to being confined and uncomfortable.

I loved petti pants way back when I used to wear white dresses and skirts! The last time I went digging for a slip was for a wedding a few years back, and all the elastic was gone, so I just threw them out.

Darker colors on the bottom, nothing short, and no more problems with show-through. That being said, if someone wants to get all het up over my sports bra and granny panties, more power to them!

I spend as much of my cruise time as possible on a dive boat in head-to-toe lycra or neoprene dive suits. You can't see through them, but every lump and bump is right there on display.

Wendy

The pettipants are fuller so don't show exact outline of legs so function somewhat like a slip.

Of course. This I understand, as I am familiar with pettipants. What I didn't understand was the several posts which suggested body-com "skimmies" and other "leggings" to solve a transparency issue.

But since you have mentioned pettipants -- I have often thought of wearing them to deal with see-through under light cotton skirts here in Georgia. My question for pettipants, split-slips and culotte-style undergarment wearers is this: do you find the crotch seam much too low -- hanging somewhere down between the thighs -- rather than comfortably up in the vicinity of the anatomical crotch? This has always been my problem with this style of underwear. I have never found any with good fit. My experience is, in order to get the crotch anywhere near where it should be, I have to hike the waistband up to the vicinity of my chest! I am average height and weight, and short waisted.

Has anyone found pettipants or split slips which fit well in the crotch, and if so, where?

I think I *might* have a half slip or two tucked away somewhere but it has probably been decades since I've worn one. I generally try not to buy clothing that is see-through, although it's easy to miss that it is in the store. I used to need them if wearing wool, but I solved that problem by never buying wool. Plus, of course, back in the day (pre-1970's) everyone wore slips.

But, if you will be more comfortable with a slip, go ahead, especially for Alaska.

This discussion reminds me of how old-fashioned slips may be these days. Recently I asked a young clerk at Macy's if they had any petticoats and she did not know what a petticoat is!

An older clerk came over and showed me where the petticoats were. I think they had about five. I guess they don't get much demand for them anymore. Macy's did have a very large selction oF Jockey Skimmies and of Spanx however.