New TSA procedures for flights back to USA

What will they do about checking those devices that are checked in luggage? Even though I would never put my devices in my checked luggage, obviously, there are those that still do. How would TSA check these. I guess more stringent scanning of luggage? That could involve delay of luggage, as well.

Thanks for the tip about not having devices charged. :) Sometimes, my Kindle and cell phone have died when I am out of the country. Not until I get to a US airport do I charge them back up. I keep my Ipad charged to use for reading during the flights.

Here is another link. So if your phone or tablet is not charged (won't power up) you may have to leave your iPhone, iPad etc behind.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/tsa-tightens-airport-security-on-electronics-1.2698166

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the link... we are traveling to Italy next week for our cruise on the Reflection. :)

Lately I have left my devices on until I get on the airplane. I then turn them off or put them in airplane mode and charge them while on the airplane. I also carry a charger call ENERGI TO GO. It will charge phones or pads. We are flying on British Airways nonstop to London on Wednesday for a 2 week land vacation. We will see how it goes on the way home to Seattle.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see more stringent exams instituted here too. We cruisers sail out of major ports and for those of us who have been cruising for years know, security has become a part of cruising too.

The enhanced TSA regiment has been a part of our flight plans since we were at La Guardia the day we started the bombing in Afghanistan.

Thanks for posting. If people don't like the airport security, they should find another way to get where they are going! I'm all for keeping everyone safe.

Cheers!

Except the TSA is NOT security. It is nothing more than theatre with the illusion of safety!

Thank you for the heads up. Whenever they implement new procedures, it always slows things down way more than one would expect. Having to turn on electronics could slow things WAY down.

This was on the news tonight. Initially I think it will slow things down but people will get used to it.

Thanks for posting. If people don't like the airport security, they should find another way to get where they are going! I'm all for keeping everyone safe.

Cheers!

Everyone wants to be safe but at some point we have to stop giving up our liberties to get there. Giving up freedom for safety results in neither.

Edited by KirkNC

What will they do about checking those devices that are checked in luggage? Even though I would never put my devices in my checked luggage, obviously, there are those that still do. How would TSA check these.

Please note: TSA would not be checking. This post is about flights back into the US, from other countries. TSA only operates in the US; other countries have their own security systems so it would be those other private/government security agencies that would actually be doing any such checking of electronic devices. TSA will need to coordinate with all those other countries and get their cooperation for these new procedures to be enacted.

Except the TSA is NOT security. It is nothing more than theatre with the illusion of safety!

Sad but true. I can't count how many times I have accidentally left a water bottle in my carry on, and it subsequently went right through the scanner undetected on my return trip. I also forgot to take out my 3-1-1 bag for a recent international flight and no one said a word. Never mind all the people who have access to aircraft, besides passengers, and go largely unscreened.

They just announced extra measures for all international flights from London Heathrow, not just USA and TSA.

Same ones, you have to be able to switch on any device, so make sure you charge your things before getting to the airport

They just announced extra measures for all international flights from London Heathrow, not just USA and TSA.

Same ones, you have to be able to switch on any device, so make sure you charge your things before getting to the airport

Can only imagine how long it is going to take for every passenger to turn on and their cell phones, computers, cameras, iPad's, electronic scales. Some good old fashioned "profiling" could eliminate 90% of this.

Cheers!

I am with you. I'll do anything to be safe, but more personnel need to be hired to handle these request. Perhaps first a separate line to go through with an electronic device in hand and on (like when you show your passport), and then go through the normal lines to have your other things checked...including the device put in tray as usual.

Please note: TSA would not be checking. This post is about flights back into the US, from other countries. TSA only operates in the US; other countries have their own security systems so it would be those other private/government security agencies that would actually be doing any such checking of electronic devices. TSA will need to coordinate with all those other countries and get their cooperation for these new procedures to be enacted.

I meant to say the TSA equivalent in other countries. ;)

I am just glad that DH and I have already had our two trips overseas this year. We don't plan another until 2016 when we head to Australia. Staying in the Caribbean and U.S. for the next two big trips. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea