Star Level on Room Keys

SilvertoGold

LOL. No need for HAL to add those instructions as we are sure there are some that would never abandon ship without their beloved Medallions and Pins.

Hank

Loosen up eh? We're having some fun here. A rare commodity on the HAL boards these days.

Well, let's hope so! :rolleyes:

I do expect that my gold medallion should trump a mere 5*, too. Should I drape the medallion around my neck before , or after, donning my life jacket???

HAL needs to add these directions to the muster drill instructions.

Make sure you take some chocolate, that's the most important. :):D:)

Helen

Ryndam jul 19 will be my first HAL cruise. No stars on my card. Kind of embarrassed.

I wouldn't worry about it. It will still open your door and let you buy things. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. It will still open your door and let you buy things. :)
I agree. Absolutely nothing for them to be embarrassed about. After all, we had a first cruise sometime. ;) They'll still go to the same ports as the person on board who has sailed the most days. (I've never known it to be anyone other than the Captain.)

Well, let's hope so! :rolleyes:

I do expect that my gold medallion should trump a mere 5*, too. Should I drape the medallion around my neck before , or after, donning my life jacket???

HAL needs to add these directions to the muster drill instructions.

Straight from HAL'S website for those with gold medallions:

An exclusive life boat with a fully stocked bar, a gourmet kitchen and not one, not two, not three but four studly cabana boys to ensure your comfort while waiting for rescue. Each cabana boy will be assigned to massage your shoulders and feet to guarantee your comfort.

Please make sure you have your room card though as you will be charged for your drinks.

I doubt my wife would want to be rescued!

Ryndam jul 19 will be my first HAL cruise. No stars on my card. Kind of embarrassed.

I have never looked at anyone else's card to see how many stars were on it; I am hardly aware that it is on my own card.

I know I have my stars in my signature but that is more of a Cruise Critic HAL board thing ;)

Edited by Boytjie

An exclusive life boat with a fully stocked bar, a gourmet kitchen and not one, not two, not three but four studly cabana boys to ensure your comfort while waiting for rescue. Each cabana boy will be assigned to massage your shoulders and feet to guarantee your comfort.

Please make sure you have your room card though as you will be charged for your drinks.

Now we're talkin'! :D I'll sit next to your wife. ;)

We wish you had not posted this valuable info. DW is now asking me how difficult it would be for her to scuttle the ship!

Hank

Please continue your search......

What can we Platinum holders expect? :D Reclining seats and individual TV's at each seat? :D Will the concierge provide us with direct line to HAL headquarters so we can know when our private helicopter will pluck us from the sea? :D :p

Now we're talking - that's the kind of incentive I need to book another cruise... and another and another.:D

I agree. Absolutely nothing for them to be embarrassed about. After all, we had a first cruise sometime. ;) They'll still go to the same ports as the person on board who has sailed the most days. (I've never known it to be anyone other than the Captain.)

Peter the Purser has about 40 years on HAL, so a remarkable number of days, very likely a lot more than most Captains who are on for only 3 months at a time, whereas the Purser has a much longer contract.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Please continue your search......

What can we Platinum holders expect? :D Reclining seats and individual TV's at each seat? :D Will the concierge provide us with direct line to HAL headquarters so we can know when our private helicopter will pluck us from the sea? :D :p

Unfortunately platinum members will only have 2 cabana attendants onboard the lifeboat and, like the mariner luncheon, may not be an exclusive lifeboat depending on the amount of platinum members sailing on your cruise.

For gold medallion members happy hour will run 24 hours a day. For platinum members happy hour will only be available 12 hours a day. Once again all beverages will be charges to your shipboard account.

The one major benefit to all platinum members and gold medallion holders is that upon arrival of the rescue craft you will have a choice of joining the rescue craft or simply having your lifeboat refilled with fuel.

Peter the Purser has about 40 years on HAL, so a remarkable number of days, very likely a lot more than most Captains who are on for only 3 months at a time, whereas the Purser has a much longer contract.

Ahhh, Peter Purser.. Haven't seen him in years but would love to. :)

Do you know why he has 3 1/2 stripes? He may be the only in the fleet. :D

Unfortunately platinum members will only have 2 cabana attendants onboard the lifeboat and, like the mariner luncheon, may not be an exclusive lifeboat depending on the amount of platinum members sailing on your cruise.

For gold medallion members happy hour will run 24 hours a day. For platinum members happy hour will only be available 12 hours a day. Once again all beverages will be charges to your shipboard account.

The one major benefit to all platinum members and gold medallion holders is that upon arrival of the rescue craft you will have a choice of joining the rescue craft or simply having your lifeboat refilled with fuel.

Dang......

Okay, so I'll leave the Platinum home and wear Gold. Will that work? :D

Ahhh, Peter Purser.. Haven't seen him in years but would love to. :)

Do you know why he has 3 1/2 stripes? He may be the only in the fleet. :D

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! (Raising hand...) I know that one.... He was our table mate for all three formal nights on a Mexican cruise a few years ago. (Officers normally rotate, but we were a fun table.) We asked him about the stripes and he told us that it was because his job had once had three and a half stripes and his were grandfathered.

He's a really great guy and we enjoyed his company.

Edited by POA1

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! (Raising hand...) I know that one.... He was our table mate for all three formal nights on a Mexican cruise a few years ago. (Officers normally rotate, but we were a fun table.) We asked him about the stripes and he told us that it was because his job had once had three and a half stripes and his were grandfathered.

Now Now Now...You must wait to be called upon. Mr POA...Go ahead please!

DING< DING< DING<<<< We have a winner!!!

But you forgot about the longevity half.

My understanding is when he was first a Purser, it was a three stripe position. When they added Guest Relations Manager, it became a two stripe position but he was grandfathered and kept his stripe. The half is because of longevity..... he's been in the position (and doing it so well) for so many years. :)

DING< DING< DING<<<< We have a winner!!!

But you forgot about the longevity half.

My understanding is when he was first a Purser, it was a three stripe position. When they added Guest Relations Manager, it became a two stripe position but he was grandfathered and kept his stripe. The half is because of longevity..... he's been in the position (and doing it so well) for so many years. :)

Any credit for partial answers? How about original source research?

Any credit for partial answers? How about original source research?

Those extra points will be awarded when we both meet with the great Peter Purser together and share a nice vino de casa. :D Then again, if he's hosting the table, maybe we can get a bottle of nice bubbly. ;)

Did he teach you his method for tying a tuxedo tie without mirror? :D His specialty......

Those extra points will be awarded when we both meet with the great Peter Purser together and share a nice vino de casa. :D Then again, if he's hosting the table, maybe we can get a bottle of nice bubbly. ;)

Did he teach you his method for tying a tuxedo tie without mirror? :D His specialty......

No, he didn't. He did notice that I had a hand tied bow tie and not a pre-tied one though.

We dined with him on a cruise we were on for DW's 40th birthday (mere moments ago) and it was a in the days when you could go to the wine desk and preorder your wine at a 15% savings. Each day, around noon after we received the day's dinner menu, I would head down to the wine desk and pick out the evening's wines.

We were a party of 5, so formal night meant a bottle of red, a bottle of white, and a vintage Champagne. (I like to cover all the food & wine pairing contingencies.) We tend to like better wines and since it was a "big birthday," I chose some extra nice bottles.

We didn't know we were picking up a 6th person (Peter Wallis) but being good hosts, we offered to have him join in our wine. Since the wine was pre-paid for in the afternoon, he reciprocated by picking up of our drinks for the evening.

Fast forward to formal night #2. I preordered the red, white and Champagne in the afternoon like I always do. We get to the MDR. We have an extra guest once more. Again it's Peter the Purser. At this point, he tells us in no uncertain terms that he will be joining us on the third and last formal night and that I am - under no circumstances - to preorder wine for formal night #3.

He had the cellar master pull wines that weren't on the list - all excellent ones. Having his company at dinner and seeing him around the ship really added to the cruise. I think we saw more of the officers on that Ryndam trip than we have on any other sailing.

He's been on the WC for a while, and as much as we'd like to do that, it's impractical to be away from the office for that long.

Post-script: I can tie a bow tie without looking in a mirror. It does end up with that "This man probably forgot his red-tipped white cane" look, though.