Weird scam phone call today I think?

JAMESCC

I got this phone call at work today, but I couldn't hear it great because I was in a truck. It sounded like a person at first, but then I could tell it was an automated person. It said something about being considered for a free cruise on one of their brand new ships to generate some sort of buzz and all I had to do was come home, and tell everyone I know how beautiful the ship was and how great the cruise was.

They then asked me to answer a few question. Two question were normal, but then I heard them ask if I had a bank account or something to the effect. As I said I couldn't hear great I was in a very loud truck. Anyone hear of this scam? Anyone else get this call? Thanks for any info on the subject, I'm quite curious.

I get one of these calls probably once a week. Never let them get beyond "congratulations you have been selected for a free cruise" before hanging up. Frustrating since it's a recording so I have no one to yell at.

I get one of these calls probably once a week. Never let them get beyond "congratulations you have been selected for a free cruise" before hanging up. Frustrating since it's a recording so I have no one to yell at.

Pretty much this. I've actually stopped answering my cell phone unless I recognize the number because 8 out of 10 calls I get are these telemarketers.

I got this call last night from "Caribbean Cruise Line". I like to play with them sometimes so I got through the automated questions and actually got to a live person with a thick Jamaican accent. Asked me something about if I would come back from the cruise and tell all my friends what a wonderful time I had, I would have a great free cruise and they would get more business. I said, "If it actually works out that way." He seemed stunned as he asked me to repeat that. I did and he hung up. Guess he figured he wasn't getting anywhere with me.

This has nothing to do w/ the post, but there are a few phone calls where people will ask about your computer and say their from "such and such" company and they are showing an "error" from your computer and can you go to your computer and do 'such and such' - well, I ask "where are you located, what company' and THEY hung up. Also, my friend got the same call.... So, beware

This has nothing to do w/ the post, but there are a few phone calls where people will ask about your computer and say their from "such and such" company and they are showing an "error" from your computer and can you go to your computer and do 'such and such' - well, I ask "where are you located, what company' and THEY hung up. Also, my friend got the same call.... So, beware

I used to get a lot of these calls. I would tell them I didn't have a computer but they would still call again. Maybe a week later. Then another time they would tell me that there was something wrong with my computer . I told them my computer was working just fine and I didn't see anything wrong with it. I haven't gotten any of their calls in 2-3 months.

I used to get a lot of these calls. I would tell them I didn't have a computer but they would still call again. Maybe a week later. Then another time they would tell me that there was something wrong with my computer . I told them my computer was working just fine and I didn't see anything wrong with it. I haven't gotten any of their calls in 2-3 months.

I get the same phone calls every now and then and they say they are calling from Microsoft. Yesterday my caller ID indicated it was a call from a cell phone#. I answered, they said Microsoft and I can not even print a word of what I said to them.

I get the same phone calls every now and then and they say they are calling from Microsoft. Yesterday my caller ID indicated it was a call from a cell phone#. I answered, they said Microsoft and I can not even print a word of what I said to them.

Yeah, because swearing at strangers on the phone seems much more rational than simply not answering!:rolleyes:

We used to get tons of those Congratulations You've Won a Free Cruise calls, but then we started screwing with them and they don't call us much anymore.:p My favorite was when DH got the real person on the line, he acted VERY excited. Told the guy he couldn't wait to go, but he'd have to talk to his parole officer because he wasn't sure how the cruise would work with his ankle bracelet. He assured the man his felony was a non-violent offense and asked if there were any cops, FBI agents, or G-men on the cruise who could monitor him. (Dude hung up.)

Another time, they asked for a credit card and DH told the caller that the bankruptcy court order said he was not allowed to ever have a credit card again. Could he send $20 a week through Western Union?

My best one is when I asked the caller to hold, put down the phone, and yelled as loud as I could, "YOU KIDS GET THEM DAMN DOGS OFF THE KITCHEN TABLE OR I'LL BEAT YOUR BUTTS. I'M GONNA COUNT TO 10 AND GO GET THE BELT." Then I counted to 10 loudly. When I picked up the phone again he had hung up. (That one works quite well with the time share people too.)

When the Microsoft man calls, we get all excited and ask him if he knows Bill Gates. Where does Bill Gates live? What kind of a dog does Bill Gates have? Does Bill Gates ever wear jeans? What's Bill Gates' favorite food?

We used to be aggravated by these calls, but now it's a competition and we try to outdo each other. Our objective is to turn an aggravation into entertainment. If we don't have time, of course, we just hang up, but we mess with them when we have the time. It's become a sport.:D

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Next time, have some fun with the Microsoft man! Something like this could work…

Hey! Are you Bill Gates?

Hey, man, you're like the richest dude in the world, right?

Wow! This is so cool talking to Bill Gates!

Dude - could you send me some money? My old lady got beat up and she's still in the hospital. I can't buy beer and I can't pay the bills without her money from the street corner. Can you send me some money?

Try it - it'll keep your blood pressure down and give you something to laugh about later.

Judy

Next time, have some fun with the Microsoft man! Something like this could work…

Hey! Are you Bill Gates?

Hey, man, you're like the richest dude in the world, right?

Wow! This is so cool talking to Bill Gates!

Dude - could you send me some money? My old lady got beat up and she's still in the hospital. I can't buy beer and I can't pay the bills without her money from the street corner. Can you send me some money?

Try it - it'll keep your blood pressure down and give you something to laugh about later.

Judy

When we get calls selling the local newspaper, I do tell them we are blind.

Thank you :)

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

When we get calls selling the local newspaper, I do tell them we are blind.

Thank you :)

I've done that too!!!! Only I don't tell them I'm blind, I just ask them if I can get it in braille. Sometimes I tell them I only read Portuguese and ask if they have a Portuguese version. They always hang up.:D:D

Judy

I've done that too!!!! Only I don't tell them I'm blind, I just ask them if I can get it in braille. Sometimes I tell them I only read Portuguese and ask if they have a Portuguese version. They always hang up.:D:D

Judy

Those are good ones too. When we get calls and they are asking for hubby trying to sell something, I just tell them he has passed away, or I tell them he is jail for murder charges, they no longer call back.

You guys have a great sense of humor, love it.

Those are good ones too. When we get calls and they are asking for hubby trying to sell something, I just tell them he has passed away, or I tell them he is jail for murder charges, they no longer call back.

You guys have a great sense of humor, love it.

You can also pretend to be a police detective and start asking the caller questions…Where were you at 10am this morning? Do you know anything about this crime? Do you have an alibi? We need to ask you some questions. I'm tracing this call so I can send an officer to pick you up…(they hang up fast!:eek:)

We like to spend a little time over cocktails periodically coming up with new 'script' ideas for phone fun. I'm much better at this if I have some ideas in mind.

Ahhh…the only limits in this game are your imagination and the amount of time you're willing to spend messing with them. We think of it as our own personal TAKE BACK OUR PHONE campaign.:p

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich