Celebrity dress code

Orch at Sea

Exclude: To keep somebody out... To prevent somebody from entering... To prevent somebody from being accepted

Exclusionary: The act or practice of excluding... The condition of being excluded.

By definition, the mandated formal dress code in the main dining room is EXCLUSIONARY.

Identical twins, booking identical cabins, paying identical fares, are entitled to identical access to onboard amenities. Right up to the point where they put on different CLOTHES. Suddenly one is EXCLUDED from an onboard amenity, the Main Dining Room. I believe that proves beyond any doubt the concept of EXCLUSIONARY.

The fact that Celebrity (and/or other cruise lines) sanction a REQUIRED "formal dress code" does not change the fact that it is exclusionary.

Blu is NOT exclusionary, because people dining there have paid for the extra service. Nor is the soon-to-be-offered "suite restaurant" as those in suites will have also paid extra.

A MANDATED formal dress code in any of the specialty restaurants is similarly NOT exclusionary, as you are paying for the extra service.

That many people (including myself) enjoy dressing up for formal night, does not change the fact that it is exclusionary.

That many people (including myself) have "willingly attended" alternate dining venues to comply with the dress code, does not change the fact that it is exclusionary. Many people in the past "willingly attended" the back of the bus, and alternate dining venues as well.

That Formal Night dress codes are so very blatantly and obviously modeled on exclusionary past traditions, that the dress code is so blatantly and obviously based on past "social class standing," should shame and embarrass those who support, or demand the continuation of the practice. (the exclusionary aspect as opposed to formal dress aspect)

As counterintuitive as it may sound, the addition of ONE SINGLE WORD to the present policy would change everything. The new policy would no longer be exclusionary. Those that WANTED to dress formally COULD... and those that did NOT want to dress formally COULD.

That ONE SINGLE WORD is *O*P*T*I*O*N*A*L*

Sounds like the epitome of "open minded and flexible," but I am fairly sure SOME will disagree. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, please don't make ME (or anyone else) accept a lower level of service, (buffet) or make ME (or anyone else) pay extra, (specialty restaurant) because YOU want to dress up, AND want to EXCLUDE those who DON'T.

I don't think your argument is very strong, and I am not sure where to start, so I'll just state the fact that Blu too, has a dresscode, and it is too exclusionary. Just as people pay for Blu, others pay for the cruise. I still can't show up to Blu in a bathing suit, because it too, by your definition, is exclusionary, no?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Yep, that's a ridiculous argument, and brings up a point I've made more than once in these threads, which is universally ignored by the "I'll wear whatever I want to wear because I want to!" set. EVERYONE wants a dress code of some kind in the restaurants. I doubt that anyone here would be happy if people were allowed into the MDR for dinner in robes, swim suits, barefoot, shirtless, etc. So the claim of "EXCLUSIONARY" is just silly. Yes, by that definition pretty much every single restaurant on the ship, and every single restaurant on land - including McDonald's - is EXCLUSIONARY! Ever notice those signs "no shirt, no shoes, no service?" EXCLUSIONARY!!! Hmm, so the tortured point seems to be - "I actually want exclusionary, but I think the limits should just be at a different line than the line set by the establishment currently."

So let's say I decide to take some people's advice and choose another cruiseline because I prefer the dress code (which is akin to choosing Celebrity ONLY because it has a formal dress code). I then discover that this new cruiseline allows smoking. I am horrified.

Now I'm not going to run around the ship grabbing lit cigarettes from people's mouths and throwing them overboard but I am going to give my feedback to the cruiseline and probably get on the relevant CC board and vent my feelings. I'll probably be shouted down by those smoking zealots who love the smoking policy and told to choose another cruiseline but hey, I really dig the dress code so maybe I will cruise with them again (depending on far more important factors like price and itinerary). Maybe enough people will complain and get the smoking policy changed. Who knows?

I see the Celebrity dress code as a deficiency in an otherwise fine product. I will obey the rules (by eating elsewhere) but I will also register my complaint. Others can defend Celebrity as is their right, but please don't tell me to choose another cruiseline - to me that just sounds like someone yelling "Get off our ship! We don't want your kind around here!!!"

I see the Celebrity dress code as a deficiency in an otherwise fine product. I will obey the rules (by eating elsewhere) but I will also register my complaint. Others can defend Celebrity as is their right, but please don't tell me to choose another cruiseline - to me that just sounds like someone yelling "Get off our ship! We don't want your kind around here!!!"

My apologies, I didn't realize you were one of those who would actually respect the policy and dine elsewhere. You are most welcome and thank you for respecting the policy even if you choose not to participate in the Formal evenings.

The "Get off our ship!" component is meant only for those who board the ship and then choose to override the ship policies that are well known, much like smoking policies - which does make a great analogy really.

What if I enjoy smoking after dinner, or on my private veranda as some lines allow, should I be able to disregard the policy on Celebrity of no smoking because I just think it isn't right and I want to smoke.....I doubt any would say yes.

But for some reason some feel the same logic does not apply to following the dress code on formal nights in the MDR the policy of which also says if not in proper dress you are welcome to dine elsewhere.

Registering an opinion with the line is fine and I agree, do so and maybe someday they get enough comments like that to stop the formal nights, but for now it is part of the Celebrity culture and custom, and for me, charm. And honestly part of why I cruise the line, I love getting dressed up, don't get to do it a lot at home. I even bought a tuxedo for such purposes exclusively for on my cruises, with 3 different accessory sets and shirts to have a different look each evening....and a formal Kilt as well....just for fun sometimes. :D

If you book another line and find out they allow smoking, that would be your fault for not researching and knowing those policies, but if the policy allows it, certainly you can't go pulling smokes out of their mouths.

However if the policy was no smoking, you should most certainly alert ship staff to resolve the situation and not decide yourself to also start smoking where its prohibited.

Again, I apologize to you, I respect your opinion that Formal dining is outdated, and appreciate that you still respect those of us who enjoy it, and do in fact suggest you let the ship staff know your position, as time goes perhaps the policy will too. But for now, policy is policy.

Again, I apologize to you, I respect your opinion that Formal dining is outdated, and appreciate that you still respect those of us who enjoy it, and do in fact suggest you let the ship staff know your position, as time goes perhaps the policy will too. But for now, policy is policy.

Apology heartily accepted. It's good to have someone here who is willing to look beyond the ideology and respect someone else's point of view. If only politicians could do the same.

I'm not opposed to the concept of formal night, just dress codes. Interestingly, my experience of Blu is that most people will dress up on formal nights despite the more relaxed requirements. Do we really need a dress code if people just need to be encouraged to dress formally, rather than forced to?

I'm not opposed to the concept of formal night, just dress codes. Interestingly, my experience of Blu is that most people will dress up on formal nights despite the more relaxed requirements. Do we really need a dress code if people just need to be encouraged to dress formally, rather than forced to?

Honest question - how would you have a formal night without a dress code?

As for your question - I think for 95% or more, encouragement is enough. It's that disrespectful few who need the enforced code - otherwise they'll be showing up on formal nights in shorts, t shirts & flip flops "because it's my vacation & I'll wear whatever the hell I feel like wearing!"

Honest question - how would you have a formal night without a dress code?

As for your question - I think for 95% or more, encouragement is enough. It's that disrespectful few who need the enforced code - otherwise they'll be showing up on formal nights in shorts, t shirts & flip flops "because it's my vacation & I'll wear whatever the hell I feel like wearing!"

Simplest way I could think of would be to have "suggested" rather than "required" attire. Given the lax enforcement we are virtually at that stage already.

The piece of the puzzle you are conveniently leaving out of this argument about exclusionary practices, is that you accepted these practices once you booked your tickets.

And anyway so what if they are in fact EXCLUSIONARY, that's their right to do so...just like it's their right to be exclusionary of people don't follow other rules, polices, and procedures, such as smoking in a cabin they will exclude you from the rest of the ship, if you forget a passport on most sailings they will exclude you from that sailing all together. If you don't have status in the Captain;'s Club, they will exclude you fro the Sky Lounge on certain days and times...

Why oh why do people find it so hard to follow the rules and policies, and still try to justify their point that infringes on the experience those who do and who may have booked SPECIFICALLY since X is one of the few left cruise lines hat does advertise formal dining on occasion.

Why can't those so dead set against the policy and its enforcement cruise on a ship or line that does not institute formal nights, (or respect the policy to dine elsewhere, the policy of which was agreed to in the booking contract and process and not a surprise) -

Deaf ears will never hear... [sigh]

It seems the problem might be more that blind eyes will never see. (sigh)

As SOME people are quite able to see in the highlighted areas of my post below, I left nothing out.

As stated below, I do indeed follow the rules and comply with the formal night dress code policy. Perhaps some people just hope to distract, confuse and mislead. (sigh)

You are correct that it is indeed, Celebrity's right to establish their policy. (exclusionary as it may be) I stated that I (and based on other posts here, many others) think it is exclusionary and therefore inappropriate... as it now stands.

Your examples of passport, and smoking policy are inane and embarrassing attempts at subterfuge, as neither bear any resemblance to the dress code issue. So lets stick to the issue instead of intentional distractions. (sigh)

(Although I ALSO support the use of coupons/vouchers for "Elite Drinks" as you correctly state that the closing of the Sky Lounge, a formerly "open venue," I also consider an inappropriate policy)

The answer to your "so what" was ALSO already included in my post below. (underlined in red)

THAT is what makes it an unwise and inappropriate policy.

FIXING the policy, from inappropriate to appropriate, by adding one word, is ALSO included...

...As is the very easy to predict responses from those who claim to be "open minded and flexible" but reveal themselves as neither. (sigh)

The NEW policy would not in any way, shape, or form, prohibit or restrict those who want to dress formally from continuing to do so. I would even support PORTIONS of the MDR being reserved for each side. That way formal types wouldn't have to sit in such disgustingly close proximity to the commoners.

[quote name=teecee60;43464321

By definition' date=' the mandated formal dress code in the main dining room is EXCLUSIONARY.

Identical twins, booking identical cabins, paying identical fares, are entitled to identical access to onboard amenities. Right up to the point where they put on different CLOTHES. Suddenly one is EXCLUDED from an onboard amenity, the Main Dining Room. I believe that proves beyond any doubt the concept of EXCLUSIONARY.

The fact that Celebrity (and/or other cruise lines) sanction a REQUIRED "formal dress code" does not change the fact that it is exclusionary.

Blu is NOT exclusionary, because people dining there have paid for the extra service. Nor is the soon-to-be-offered "suite restaurant" as those in suites will have also paid extra.

A MANDATED formal dress code in any of the specialty restaurants is similarly NOT exclusionary, as you are paying for the extra service.

That many people (including myself) enjoy dressing up for formal night, does not change the fact that it is exclusionary.

That many people (including myself) have "willingly attended" alternate dining venues to comply with the dress code, does not change the fact that it is exclusionary. Many people in the past "willingly attended" the back of the bus, and alternate dining venues as well.

That Formal Night dress codes are so very blatantly and obviously modeled on exclusionary past traditions, that the dress code is so blatantly and obviously based on past "social class standing," should shame and embarrass those who support, or demand the continuation of the practice. (the exclusionary aspect as opposed to formal dress aspect)

As counterintuitive as it may sound, the addition of ONE SINGLE WORD to the present policy would change everything. The new policy would no longer be exclusionary. Those that WANTED to dress formally COULD... and those that did NOT want to dress formally COULD.

That ONE SINGLE WORD is *O*P*T*I*O*N*A*L*

Sounds like the epitome of "open minded and flexible," but I am fairly sure SOME will disagree. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, please don't make ME (or anyone else) accept a lower level of service, (buffet) or make ME (or anyone else) pay extra, (specialty restaurant) because YOU want to dress up, AND want to EXCLUDE those who DON'T.

Edited by teecee60

So let's say I decide to take some people's advice and choose another cruiseline because I prefer the dress code (which is akin to choosing Celebrity ONLY because it has a formal dress code). I then discover that this new cruiseline allows smoking. I am horrified.

Now I'm not going to run around the ship grabbing lit cigarettes from people's mouths and throwing them overboard but I am going to give my feedback to the cruiseline and probably get on the relevant CC board and vent my feelings. I'll probably be shouted down by those smoking zealots who love the smoking policy and told to choose another cruiseline but hey, I really dig the dress code so maybe I will cruise with them again (depending on far more important factors like price and itinerary). Maybe enough people will complain and get the smoking policy changed. Who knows?

If you did throw the cigarettes overboard you could get into big trouble :eek: :p

I heard that Celebrity is going add more formal nights to try to fill the specialty restaurant

Two week cruise going to 6 formal nights from 3

I heard that Celebrity is going add more formal nights to try to fill the specialty restaurant

Two week cruise going to 6 formal nights from 3

I realize this post is likely tongue in cheek. But it's a good time for this point...

I don't believe formal night has anything to do with filling specialties. I've been in Specialty restaurants on formal nights and they felt empty. I've tried to get a reservation at Tuscan and Qsine on non formal nights and found no reservations available (though in one instance, my butler did get me in).

I think formal night is one of Celebrity's traditions and customs and one of the few things that make it unique and hold a niche place in the amalgamation of cruise lines.

I think formal night has been around on Celebrity longer than celebrity has had its specialty restaurants, though if I am incorrect in this assumption, someone please let me know.

Celebrity needs to change the dress code on their website and in their dailies to reflect the reality of what they permit. The formal night tradition ended a good 5-7 years ago when dress codes were required in the MDR only and not ship wide.

Over my last three years of cruising on Celebrity, I have seen fewer and fewer people in formal dress and less and less effort to enforce it. On my last cruise in March on Summit, there were actually an equal number of men not wearing jackets as there were wearing them in the MDR on formal nights. That cruise was the first one ever that my husband did not wear a tux. I questioned the maître de about enforcement and his reply was that they had stopped trying.

Now that Celebrity has relaxed their codes to the degree that they have, I don't ever expect them to try to tighten them back.

Celebrity needs to change the dress code on their website and in their dailies to reflect the reality of what they permit. The formal night tradition ended a good 5-7 years ago when dress codes were required in the MDR only and not ship wide.

Over my last three years of cruising on Celebrity, I have seen fewer and fewer people in formal dress and less and less effort to enforce it. On my last cruise in March on Summit, there were actually an equal number of men not wearing jackets as there were wearing them in the MDR on formal nights. That cruise was the first one ever that my husband did not wear a tux. I questioned the maître de about enforcement and his reply was that they had stopped trying.

Now that Celebrity has relaxed their codes to the degree that they have, I don't ever expect them to try to tighten them back.

Well stated. Times have changed. In a few years the MDR as we know it will have disappeared on most of the major cruise lines.

On our recent 11 night reflection cruise. Not many tuxes and gowns to be seen. Mostly suits and sports coats with and without ties.

On our last night in Blu, a gentleman in cargo shorts and sandals wearing a white collared button down shirt was seated. Didn't bother us in the least. He looked okay to me and there was never a word said about his attire by the Matre'D. Not a big deal for anyone, crew or guests.

Yes, times have changed. Sometimes when you get what you wish for you realize maybe it wasn't what you really wanted. One thing I know for sure is when the customers don't care what kind of a product they receive, neither will the purveyors.

There have been many changes made through the years that have been good for the cruise line and the passengers. It seems to me that recently the bean counters are pushing it as far as they can and will give you less and less for your money until you wake up one day and realize that the reasons you decided Celebrity was a great cruise line for the money are not applicable any more. Why should they provide a special experience when the customers just don't care.

We just came off of the Reflection (Eastern Mediterranean) last week. We love dining in the specialty restaurants or BLU (never eat in the MDR). We were SHOCKED to have another man seated next to us in Murano (fine dining venue) in shorts, sandals and a polo shirt. This should not be allowed. I think it's wrong for Celebrity to allow him in the restaurant, and for the man to even try to go in. Go somewhere else if you don't want to respect what a dress code "should be" in a fine dining restaurant. If I was him, or his partner--I would be embarrassed beyond belief to dine there in that attire.

This might sound harsh--but the word "trashy" might be warranted.

Shawn

It was not against the accepted mode of dress, that is only not accepted at dinner in the MDR. All other venues and times it is okie dokie.

Um, actually, no. The Celebrity dress code for international sailings, as stated on their website, does not include shorts at all, except in port. Yes, I know...strange but true.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#internationalSailings

I feel your pain! I am new to Celebrity and Cruise Critic myself. Now I better understand the response I got when posting my innocent, but genuine question regarding dress on formal nights for the Solstice in Alaska on a different thread! After wading through the multitude of posts on this thread, ignoring those that appeared highly opinionated or sarcastic and chuckling over many that were obviously tongue-in-cheek, I've come to the conclusion that I will find a wide interpretation of the term "formal" in the MDR. I'm not looking to change policy or break the rules! For packing purposes (I want to lighten that suitcase and I have a habit of over-packing) So I will leave the long dresses at home and pack 2 short cocktail outfits. Will I still be overdressed????
Yes you will find a wide interpretation of the term "formal". I wore two formal 3/4 gowns on my last cruise and felt way overdressed. It bothered me, but some are not bothered by it. Wear what you feel comfortable in (you will see everything from a few gowns, to cocktail dress to everyday dresses to beach type dresses) and never mind what anyone else's opinion is, because they are never going to say it to your face. Edited by NLH Arizona

Um, actually, no. The Celebrity dress code for international sailings, as stated on their website, does not include shorts at all, except in port. Yes, I know...strange but true.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#internationalSailings

What are is an international sailing ?

Are not all sailing international ?

Full Definition of INTERNATION :existing or occurring between nations < rivalry>

Origin of INTERNATION inter- + nation

Just when i thought this thread couldn't get any more ridiculous, we now have shorts aren't allowed except in port ...sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, by that definition pretty much every single restaurant on the ship, and every single restaurant on land - including McDonald's - is EXCLUSIONARY! Ever notice those signs "no shirt, no shoes, no service?" EXCLUSIONARY!!!

I'm just glad I don't have to wear pants to get service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I get the debate between the folks who oppose and for the formal nights. Personally i am for free will, dress up if you like, make your self feel good,if i could afford a tux, and had one, i would wear it everywhere i could. I wear nice comfortable clouting,clean and the only person i am worried about what i am wearing is my wife. Dress code means they want just certain people, so i feel its part discrimination. That's me, just my opinion,its Celebrity's ship,so there policy. We will go to the MDR,dress as best as we are,if they let us sit fine, if not we love Buffets and we will head there on formal night. No harm. I am just having such a hard time reading how people here, get so personal about what other people, strangers do?, weather they like it or not why??. If i am eating?, unless you are wearing something so offensive, being abusive or wearing nothing!, i am not worried what you look like, and i am astonished that grown adults are bickering over peoples looks, i thought we passed that point as humans. I am not a seasoned cruise tourist or even a long term cruise critic veteran(lol not very long at all) but here at least in a small community(Cruise critic forum) we can see past what we look like as people gather for a meal? can we

I've always loved this part. Be warned - if you try to leave the ship in anything other than comfortable walking shoes you may be refused, or offered a pair of ill-fitting loan shoes!

The lost luggage thing is overstated, there are probably very few but you never know what has happened, that is why I would never question anyone because I don't know the circumstances.

Case in point which I have mentioned before is a gentlemen who worked for the city of New York whose luggage was lost for the entire cruise. He sat next to us and was the nicest person you would ever want to meet. Problem he had was that he was extremely and Celebrity did not have any clothes that fit him. I remember specifically a couple of

"snobs" who stated that even though he did not get his luggage, he should not be seated in the MDR. At the time Celebrity had three dress codes however all he had was shorts from when he boarded the ship. I can tell you who I would rather spend time with on that cruise and it wasn't the snobbish ladies. Only point I'm making is you never know what the circumstances are and yes I agree with those that say this is rare but it does happen.

I think this is a very good point, and a good reason to "not judge lest you not be judged" to paraphrase a quote from a very good book:). One of our family members, for example, also does not wear sizes that are found in the onboard stores and for that matter are not easily found at port stops either on the cruises we take which are primarily Caribbean (men's size 3X). And for the record, if you are a woman over a size 12 good luck with that as well! It is very conceivable that if his luggage was lost he would not be able to find decent clothing for an entire cruise. To suggest that the appropriate thing to do would be to eat each meal in a location other than the MDR is very unkind. We plan for potential lost luggage by cross-packing our suitcases (a practice I highly advise for everyone), but neither own nor could afford the extra weight of putting extra formal clothes in each suitcase.

I always come down on the side of "there are rules, you should follow them". But judging others onboard is an entirely different situation. Let's give people the benefit of the doubt on the ship, and spend our time on more important things like having a good time and meeting nice people.

I always come down on the side of "there are rules, you should follow them". But judging others onboard is an entirely different situation. Let's give people the benefit of the doubt on the ship, and spend our time on more important things like having a good time and meeting nice people.

Well stated. It should also be noted for those newbies who view these threads with a growing sense of alarm that this attitude is almost universal once on board. Dress code drama is primarily an interwebby-type thing.

Well stated. It should also be noted for those newbies who view these threads with a growing sense of alarm that this attitude is almost universal once on board. Dress code drama is primarily an interwebby-type thing.

Yes. We were treated to dress code angst regarding Blu for our first cruise in 2011. We ended up taking formal wear rather than risk being ostracized on board.

Threads like this had us quaking in our shoes.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1408932

In 2012, we relaxed and left the finery at home.

Yes. We were treated to dress code angst regarding Blu for our first cruise in 2011. We ended up taking formal wear rather than risk being ostracized on board.

Threads like this had us quaking in our shoes.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1408932

In 2012, we relaxed and left the finery at home.

Sad you had to go thru that k9x8. gek is right as you found, the 'warm' air on here never has the wind to make it to a real face to face on a ship. :rolleyes: