Celebrity dress code

Orch at Sea

We have just returned from our 1st Celebrity cruise (on the Silhouette, wonderful ship). One evening in the MDR I wore smart knee length tailored shorts, & was politely asked to change. This was no problem, as I wasn't aware of the dress code.On the formal nights I wore a DJ but gentleman were allowed in wearing polo shirts, double standards I think....A dress code is a dress code...Rant over ( Still had a fantastic cruise :) )

We have just returned from our 1st Celebrity cruise (on the Silhouette, wonderful ship). One evening in the MDR I wore smart knee length tailored shorts, & was politely asked to change.

Fantastic news we dont want standards dropping, we can slum about for 50 weeks a year!

We have just returned from our 1st Celebrity cruise (on the Silhouette, wonderful ship). One evening in the MDR I wore smart knee length tailored shorts, & was politely asked to change. This was no problem, as I wasn't aware of the dress code.On the formal nights I wore a DJ but gentleman were allowed in wearing polo shirts, double standards I think....A dress code is a dress code...Rant over ( Still had a fantastic cruise :) )

If people would read the information provided them by their travel agent or Celebrity then they would know what is expected. That being said, you took a very gracious approach and made the change. If the dining room manager allowed a gentlemen into the MDR on formal night in shirt sleeves then he was wrong and that should be reported to Celebrity. Indeed, you were not fairly treated and he was not doing his job.

On the cruises we have been on with Celebrity if a man did not have a coat on formal night the where first offered one to use or asked to leave. If you do not like the rules on Celebrity than try a less formal ship or go to buffet or specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Fantastic news we dont want standards dropping, we can slum about for 50 weeks a year!

Did you miss the second part of the OP? Polo Shirts (t-shirts with a collar) do not even approximate a sport coat let alone a dinner jacket. It would appear to me that standards are dropping - even worse, the standards are being applied unevenly.

Did you miss the second part of the OP? Polo Shirts (t-shirts with a collar) do not even approximate a sport coat let alone a dinner jacket. It would appear to me that standards are dropping - even worse, the standards are being applied unevenly.

Didnt miss it, chose to ignore that bit!

There's another thread going now where I'm quite vocally in favor of maintaing the dress code.

One point that I haven't made there, is one afternoon I went to the Elite cocktail event, not realizing it too had a dress code, I arrived in nice shorts and a golf shirt. Walked in went to bar and got a drink. There were perhaps 30 other people there wi the Sky Lounge on Summit docked in Bermuda, like 5 of the tables had people at them - the place was empty.

I was asked to leave as I wasn't in dress code, and I did, and arrived the rest of the week in long pants as the code required. SO to attend the elite events in the afternoon, one needs to change from their resort wear to smart casual, then back to resort wear after the event then into formal wear on formal nights. But that's the policy, and I respect that.

But then I go to formal night in MDR, in my Tuxedo, and see them let people in there without following the dress code, about sent steam thru my ears. There were short sleeved hawaiian shirts even.

I'd say relax both or relax neither, but enforcing a silly elite cocktail event rather than the true formality of the MDR seems outrageous to me.

This has been an issue for a while according to some posters here on CC. There were reports on one of the ships that a restaurant manager was requiring formal dress in one of the specialty restaurants on formal night when in fact the dress code is smart casual on all nights in specialty dining. I have not heard of that happening lately but it seems that each manager must have their own definition of the dress code.

This has been an issue for a while according to some posters here on CC. There were reports on one of the ships that a restaurant manager was requiring formal dress in one of the specialty restaurants on formal night when in fact the dress code is smart casual on all nights in specialty dining. I have not heard of that happening lately but it seems that each manager must have their own definition of the dress code.

That was about a year ago and apparently Celebrity got the message that these people can't go rogue. The problem with what occurred on that ship was they were changing the rules after the game started. Can't tell people to not bring formal clothes on your web site and then require formal in certain areas once they are on board.

Even or uneven, I get it. But at dinner, shorts are shorts and I would rather see the code applied there than not.

I would venture that if the male with the polo had shorts on, he too would have been asked to change also.

Even or uneven, I get it. But at dinner, shorts are shorts and I would rather see the code applied there than not.

I would venture that if the male with the polo had shorts on, he too would have been asked to change also.

I agree.

IMHO Celebrity offers some type of venue each evening based on what a person chooses to wear for dinner. As I have stated on previous threads, I no longer prefer to dress formally which is why we like the specialty restaurants but there is no way I would enter the MDR on formal night unless I was dressed appropiately. It's only fair to those that took the time to bring and dress in formal attire be able to enjoy their meal in a formal atmosphere.

I seldom notice what another guest is wearing unless it's something that stands out. In the end there will always be those that feel that the rules do not apply to them and in reality it's up to the cruise lines to enforce their own policy/rules/suggestions.:)

Really... Another dress code thread!

Do people really get that affected by what other people wear for dinner... If your happy with your own outfit what does it matter what the others are dressed like? I couldn't careless what the person next to me is wearing, I would just be glad they are wearing cloths... if they are nice and polite to others around them and the crew what the hell does it matter if they have a polo shirt on or a tux?

I know what the dress code rules are and personally I always follow them myself but does it really ruin your cruise if someone has a polo short on rather then a dinner jacket! :rolleyes:

Really... Another dress code thread!

Do people really get that affected by what other people wear for dinner... If your happy with your own outfit what does it matter what the others are dressed like? I couldn't careless what the person next to me is wearing, I would just be glad they are wearing cloths... if they are nice and polite to others around them and the crew what the hell does it matter if they have a polo shirt on or a tux?

I know what the dress code rules are and personally I always follow them myself but does it really ruin your cruise if someone has a polo short on rather then a dinner jacket! :rolleyes:

It's not a matter of an assault on my eyes (although there have been a few!) or RUINING the cruise to see people inappropriately dressed. I think for most people who enjoy dressing formally for formal night(s) or dressing up in cocktail attire/suit or sports jacket for dinner the perceived problem is that if more and more people start attending in "less than" attire it may lead to the elimination of formal nights altogether.

Edited by Truffle
Spelling

It's not a matter of an assault on my eyes (although there have been a few!) or RUINING the cruise to see people in appropriately dressed. I think for most people who enjoy dressing formally for formal night(s) or dressing up in cocktail attire/suit or sports jacket for dinner the perceived problem is that if more and more people start attending in "less than" attire it may lead to the elimination of formal nights altogether.

BINGO!

We have a winner.

Edited by cle-guy

It's not a matter of an assault on my eyes (although there have been a few!) or RUINING the cruise to see people inappropriately dressed. I think for most people who enjoy dressing formally for formal night(s) or dressing up in cocktail attire/suit or sports jacket for dinner the perceived problem is that if more and more people start attending in "less than" attire it may lead to the elimination of formal nights altogether.

If that happens because the majority are not dressing formally then surely that's just a sign that things are changing... It's part of life & Nothing stays the same forever... Should we go back to a clearer class system like the titanic days and have people that don't like to wear a tux be sent to steerage class... No of course not because we have moved with the times and changes in lifestyles dictate how life/style/views change!

If you like dressing up... great and continue to do so as no one is going to tell you not too, and there's plenty of people that cruise celebrity that love to dress up still so for the foreseeable future I doubt anything will change so nothing really to worry about... Formal or non formal if you want to dress up its up to you!

As I've said before I do follow the dress code, I don't wear a tux because I don't feel comfortable wearing one but I do wear a shirt, jacket & trousers which regardless of opinion fits perfectly within the dress code, does it bother me that people don't... No! My prime rib taste the same regardless of what the person next to me is wearing!!

Happy cruising everyone whatever you choose to wear! 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I once had my luggage delayed getting to the ship on a HAL cruise. The maitre `d "permitted" me to dine in the one outfit I had packed. Yes, I was embarrassed, but sometimes we don't know the whole story.

You can flame me for this all you want :p but what others wear does impact my cruise experience - or at least it almost did. Last cruise, 1st formal night we had dressed to the nines expecting to dine with other like minded people. The hostess attempted to try to seat us with 2 couples that looked like they were dressed to eat at the Golden Corral:mad:. I made a quick U-turn and went back and requested a table for 2. So in the end I did get what I had expected - a formal evening. Seriously I could care less if you want to push the boundaries - but I don't want to sit with you. I'll continue to say then ask for a table for just yourselves and don't put those dressing to the guidelines in an uncomfortable situation.

You can flame me for this all you want :p but what others wear does impact my cruise experience - or at least it almost did. Last cruise, 1st formal night we had dressed to the nines expecting to dine with other like minded people. The hostess attempted to try to seat us with 2 couples that looked like they were dressed to eat at the Golden Corral:mad:. I made a quick U-turn and went back and requested a table for 2. So in the end I did get what I had expected - a formal evening. Seriously I could care less if you want to push the boundaries - but I don't want to sit with you. I'll continue to say then ask for a table for just yourselves and don't put those dressing to the guidelines in an uncomfortable situation.

Why flame, dont understand why anyone should do that! It is an opinions board after all.

If there is a dress code it should be strictly enforced. If Celebrity dont want a dress code then they should make that clear.

...and no it wont affect my cruise if others are not correctly attired, however if there are rules they should be enforced.

Just try driving North on a South heading carriage way!

Edited by SWORRUB1
Added the word 'not' quite crucial really !

I once had my luggage delayed getting to the ship on a HAL cruise. The maitre `d "permitted" me to dine in the one outfit I had packed. Yes, I was embarrassed, but sometimes we don't know the whole story.

And we sat next to a gentleman who did not get his luggage for the entire cruise, always two sides to every story.

We always loved cunard(and it's dresscodes!)But due to less Caribbean trips we tried the Eclipse this past Jan. It was fantastic. It was a 2 week trip. We did notice the crowd generally quite a bit older than us(which we prefer anyway)The dresscodes were followed quite well overall. We normally had a tie every night. We left our tuxes at home & wore nice suites(think Boardwalk Empire)We did notice some pax really dress "down" after dinner,however. Only a few times were pax asked to leave & properly dress for dinner. If I could change something..It would be to lower the temp. in the Moonlight Sonata MDR. It really got pretty hot at times at dinner.Food was excellent overall. Quite a bit better than our last few Cunard trips in Britannia MDR.