Dress Code for Blu on Formal Nights

Amerie

I know Blu is technically classed as a specialty restaurant.

Does that mean that the dress-code is smart casual every night, and that my husband doesn't have to bring a suit or tux?

I'm not saying that he won't....I'm just wondering if he has to. ;)

Thanks!

Hi, actually Blu is not considered a Specialty Restaurant. It is considered

THE Dining Room for AQ Class cabins.

Does that mean that the dress-code is smart casual every night, and that my husband doesn't have to bring a suit or tux?

Thanks!

Smart casual every night......suits or tuxes for formal night!

This is a problem for cruisers since Celebrity has conflicting entries on their web site.

In several sections of the web site Celebrity describes Blu as the specialty restaurant for AQ passengers...Here's one

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/media.do?pagename=staterooms&cS=Ship_page&ICID=Cel_10Q1_staterooms

In another section they state that all specialty restaurants are smart casual everynight regardless of the dress code for the evening.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3377&pagename=faq_answers

The problem arises for patrons is when they read these two sections and believe that they can dress smart casual everynight if they are AQ patrons and don't bring formal clothes.. What has occurred is some confusion however they are apparently aware of this at the door to Blu. Recently they have been providing jackets for men. I just wish they would clear up their web site...

The above is not expressing a personal preference, only providing the facts.

This is a problem for cruisers since Celebrity has conflicting entries on their web site.

In several sections of the web site Celebrity describes Blu as the specialty restaurant for AQ passengers...Here's one

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/media.do?pagename=staterooms&cS=Ship_page&ICID=Cel_10Q1_staterooms

In another section they state that all specialty restaurants are smart casual everynight regardless of the dress code for the evening.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3377&pagename=faq_answers

The problem arises for patrons is when they read these two sections and believe that they can dress smart casual everynight if they are AQ patrons and don't bring formal clothes.. What has occurred is some confusion however they are apparently aware of this at the door to Blu. Recently they have been providing jackets for men. I just wish they would clear up their web site...

The above is not expressing a personal preference, only providing the facts.

It is not a problem for those who pay attention to these boards and to the specifics of cruising. Anyone booking in AQ should know that Blu is the MAIN Dining Room for AQ and is not considered a specialty restaurant. And Formal means that a Jacket is required. If you do not have one, X provides one so that the "Formal" Atmosphere will be consistent.

It is not a problem for those who pay attention to these boards and to the specifics of cruising. Anyone booking in AQ should know that Blu is the MAIN Dining Room for AQ and is not considered a specialty restaurant. And Formal means that a Jacket is required. If you do not have one, X provides one so that the "Formal" Atmosphere will be consistent.

Actually, if you pay attention to the specifics of cruising and do your research on the Celebrity Web site you will draw the exact opposite conclusion of what you are suggesting

I agree that it is the MDR for AQ however only maybe 10% of cruisers actually come on any type of boards. Those are the ones who are getting confused because in almost every mention of Blu on their web site they call it a Specialty restaurant....There have been numerous people coming back and complaining about this....I might also point out that in my two cruises in AQ, no jacket was required and none was offered....By the way, on both of those cruises I wore suits on formal night...

The other point to make is if you are in a suite and dine in Blu, it is a specialty restaurant, not your MDR. More confusion due to the web site...

It is not a problem for those who pay attention to these boards and to the specifics of cruising.

What do you think the actual ratio is of cruisers who follow Cruise Critic to cruisers who don't know what CC is? I would wager that it's fairly low. I only just discovered CC myself after many previous cruises.

A much higher percentage of people are going to glean information from the website or informational pamphlets of the company that they are patronizing, so IMO, Don has a good point.

Recently spent two weeks in Blu while cruising the Caribbean. Let's just say that you saw almost everything in Blu during the formal nights from formal wear to open shirts. Didn't see anyone offered a jacket. Did notice that on smart casual nights men in shorts were turned away.

Sorry if I offended anyone. But it seems like this question (and the same old responses) keep coming up about every three days.

I look at it that if you are springing for AQ and the additional cost, and are planning on eating in Blu rather than the MDR, then you already should know that on Formal Nights the dress code is slightly more formal than Applebees. You should know that Jacket should be required for men and that something sparkly for women.

I cannot really imagine that someone who has cruised enough that they would choose AQ over Concierge, Inside, or Oceanview, does not realize that the Dress code is there. And by reading the simple phrase, "Blu is the Dining Room for Aqua Class" would be enough to classify it as the main dining room and not a Specialty Dining Room.

We all realize that Blu is NOT a specialty restaurant. And the Specialty restaurants are actually higher class than Blu, which is a step up from the MDR. (Why anyone would go to Murano ANY Night in Smart Casual is beyond me.)

But we keep getting the same question and the same responses.

(Why anyone would go to Murano ANY Night in Smart Casual is beyond me.)

Because that is what the cruise line requests and many do. Sorry, you are unhappy with it, blame X not those who have dressed appropriately according to the dress code for Murano.

These discussions and comments will just always continue. The truth is most people know what "formal" means and dress accordingly for the evening. There will always be a few who don't and that's up to them.

Thanks!

Sorry, to answer your question, most do dress according to the Formal Night recommendation, but there are those who do not and are by no means turned away.

Sorry if I offended anyone. But it seems like this question (and the same old responses) keep coming up about every three days.

I look at it that if you are springing for AQ and the additional cost, and are planning on eating in Blu rather than the MDR, then you already should know that on Formal Nights the dress code is slightly more formal than Applebees. You should know that Jacket should be required for men and that something sparkly for women.

I cannot really imagine that someone who has cruised enough that they would choose AQ over Concierge, Inside, or Oceanview, does not realize that the Dress code is there. And by reading the simple phrase, "Blu is the Dining Room for Aqua Class" would be enough to classify it as the main dining room and not a Specialty Dining Room.

We all realize that Blu is NOT a specialty restaurant. And the Specialty restaurants are actually higher class than Blu, which is a step up from the MDR. (Why anyone would go to Murano ANY Night in Smart Casual is beyond me.)

But we keep getting the same question and the same responses.

YOu are missing the whole point of my posts on this subject. You are expressing an opinion which you are of course entitled to. That opinion is not consistent with what the cruise line is requesting as per their web site. You should realize there are more and more people who are going on cruises with Celebrity who are avoiding formal nights for whatever reason, just look at all the threads on these boards..Again, I am not expressing an opinion, just the facts...

Hi, actually Blu is not considered a Specialty Restaurant. It is considered

THE Dining Room for AQ Class cabins.

I have seen in about 15 different places -- on the Celebrity website, in my Celebrity brochure and in my cruise documents -- that Blu is constantly referred to as a "specialty restaurant":

From the main Celebrity website:

Tab: PLANNING

Tab: STATEROOM

AquaClassSM

Designed for the ultimate spa enthusiast. Available only on Celebrity Cruises, these serene staterooms, each with a private veranda, are located high above it all, nestled comfortably close to the AquaSpa® by Elemis® Relaxation Room, the Solarium and the Persian Garden. And dine in your own restaurant, Blu, featuring health-conscious dishes you'd never guess were good for you.

Features

Priority seating in Blu, a specialty restaurant that also serves a complimentary and healthy continental breakfast every day

AquaClass A brand new class of staterooms on Celebrity Solstice , AquaClass brings a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere into your stateroom, while providing unlimited access to many of the AquaSpa ® amenities. Features: In addition to our Concierge class amenities, AquaClass guests receive: Priority seating in Blu, a specialty restaurant created just for AquaClass guests that also serves complimentary healthy continental breakfast daily Double occupancy only

A welcoming and unique on board environment, you'll discover new wines, receive recommendations and enrich your knowledge of the world of wine. Blu Restaurant. This specialty restaurant is the exclusive dining venue for all AquaClass SM guests, serving healthy fare in a sophisticated and soothing atmosphere.

Savor fine Italian wines and panoramic views along with your Caesar salad, made tableside. Blu Restaurant. This specialty restaurant is the exclusive dining venue for all AquaClass SM guests, serving healthy fare in a sophisticated and soothing atmosphere.

If Celebrity consistently refers to Blu as a specialty restaurant, what is anyone to understand from the following? (quoted from the X website)

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

My question stems from a rational application of grade nine geometry: if a = b and b = c then a = c. If Celebrity calls Blu a specialty restaurant, and the dress code in specialty restaurants is smart casual every night, then the dress code in Blu is smart casual every night.

We always abide by the dress code. I am a dress code supporter and a formal night supporter as well. Sometimes my husband would choose to be less formal, as we attend a lot of black-tie events, and I just wanted to know what his options were.

I was simply looking for some factual information about what is currently happening in Blu on formal nights, as things have been changing over time on Celebrity and we haven't cruised for a little bit. Regardless of what Celebrity is calling Blu in print, I didn't want to transgress any norms if, in practice, Blu is actually observing the formal dress code.

I think it is reasonable to ask what the dress code is NOW in Blu, in that it is consistently referred to as a "specialty restaurant" by Celebrity.

If everyone on CC tells me that Blu observes the formal dress code on formal nights, then DH will dress accordingly, but you can't really defend a position that Blu isn't a specialty restaurant when everything that Celebrity says is to the contrary.

Thanks!

FORMAL

We just returned from a 7 night on the Solstice and my DH and I were APPALLED by the men eating in BLU and the MDR that did not even wear a tie on Formal Night. What is wrong with men today? AND what is wrong with their wives? If my DH would not put on a tie I would not go to dinner with him!

EVERYONE IS PERFECTLY AWARE OF THE DRESS CODE BEFORE THEY CRUISE - IF THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO FOLLOW THE DRESS CODE OF THAT CRUISE LINE'S DRESS CODE THEY SHOULD FIND A CRUISE LINE THAT SUITS THEIR CASUAL DESIRES! STOP RUINING IT FOR EVERYONE THAT LOVES THE FORMAL DRESS CODE!!! PLEASE!!!!

I have seen in about 15 different places -- on the Celebrity website, in my Celebrity brochure and in my cruise documents -- that Blu is constantly referred to as a "specialty restaurant":

From the main Celebrity website:

Tab: PLANNING

Tab: STATEROOM

AquaClassSM

Designed for the ultimate spa enthusiast. Available only on Celebrity Cruises, these serene staterooms, each with a private veranda, are located high above it all, nestled comfortably close to the AquaSpa® by Elemis® Relaxation Room, the Solarium and the Persian Garden. And dine in your own restaurant, Blu, featuring health-conscious dishes you'd never guess were good for you.

Features

Priority seating in Blu, a specialty restaurant that also serves a complimentary and healthy continental breakfast every day

AquaClass A brand new class of staterooms on Celebrity Solstice , AquaClass brings a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere into your stateroom, while providing unlimited access to many of the AquaSpa ® amenities. Features: In addition to our Concierge class amenities, AquaClass guests receive: Priority seating in Blu, a specialty restaurant created just for AquaClass guests that also serves complimentary healthy continental breakfast daily Double occupancy only

A welcoming and unique on board environment, you'll discover new wines, receive recommendations and enrich your knowledge of the world of wine. Blu Restaurant. This specialty restaurant is the exclusive dining venue for all AquaClass SM guests, serving healthy fare in a sophisticated and soothing atmosphere.

Savor fine Italian wines and panoramic views along with your Caesar salad, made tableside. Blu Restaurant. This specialty restaurant is the exclusive dining venue for all AquaClass SM guests, serving healthy fare in a sophisticated and soothing atmosphere.

If Celebrity consistently refers to Blu as a specialty restaurant, what is anyone to understand from the following? (quoted from the X website)

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

My question stems from a rational application of grade nine geometry: if a = b and b = c then a = c. If Celebrity calls Blu a specialty restaurant, and the dress code in specialty restaurants is smart casual every night, then the dress code in Blu is smart casual every night.

We always abide by the dress code. I am a dress code supporter and a formal night supporter as well. Sometimes my husband would choose to be less formal, as we attend a lot of black-tie events, and I just wanted to know what his options were.

I was simply looking for some factual information about what is currently happening in Blu on formal nights, as things have been changing over time on Celebrity and we haven't cruised for a little bit. Regardless of what Celebrity is calling Blu in print, I didn't want to transgress any norms if, in practice, Blu is actually observing the formal dress code.

I think it is reasonable to ask what the dress code is NOW in Blu, in that it is consistently referred to as a "specialty restaurant" by Celebrity.

If everyone on CC tells me that Blu observes the formal dress code on formal nights, then DH will dress accordingly, but you can't really defend a position that Blu isn't a specialty restaurant when everything that Celebrity says is to the contrary.

Thus the problem I described. I can only tell you that on my two AQ cruises it was Smart Casual every night. Orator said it was smart casual every night in the last two weeks. I have found on many Celebrity cruises that there are differences between ships. Everyone can give their opinion of what they would do but that is not necessarily Celebrity dress code. Final decision of course is up to him.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason BLU is allowed to be "smart casual or above" every night is because X wants to compete with Oceania for customers who are willing to pay a little more in order to NOT have formal nights? I happen to be one of those people. If it wasn't for the itinerary and being able to not be relegated to the buffet or my stateroom, I would probably have chosen a less desirable Oceania cruise. Instead, I have the option of not dressing to the nines and still have a wonderful meal. Sorry if I'm going to ruin someone's cruise by not being dressed formally.

And as we continue this discussion on proper dress in BLU for Formal Night, please remember that one of the Guildelines, much like the proper dress guideline' is not to use All Caps because it is considered Yelling.

From Cruise Critic Guidelines:

All Caps:

Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considering shouting by many, so please double check your caps lock key before posting.

So it kind of defeats your position when you are telling people to follow the dress code guidelines and capitalizing you favorite descriptive words and full all-cap sentences and so on.

Just a thought on following your own advice.

My opinon on the subject: funny how its always us Men who can't seem to follow basic guidelines and rules. I guess its because we are so use to acting as teens and have never grown. And yes, this specific thread has turned into a discussion of is BLU a specialty restaurant and therefore 'exempt', but my view is that is just another excuse for us men to not dress up and show how 'independent' we are.

Excuses: its a specially restaurant, not enough room in suitcase, and my favorite, 'I have to wear a suit at work' - interpreted to mean, 'I'll dress properly at work for money, but won't do so for my wife' Got it. Now we can continue.

Den

And as we continue this discussion on proper dress in BLU for Formal Night, please remember that one of the Guildelines, much like the proper dress guideline' is not to use All Caps because it is considered Yelling.

From Cruise Critic Guidelines:

All Caps:

Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considering shouting by many, so please double check your caps lock key before posting.

So it kind of defeats your position when you are telling people to follow the dress code guidelines and capitalizing you favorite descriptive words and full all-cap sentences and so on.

Just a thought on following your own advice.

My opinon on the subject: funny how its always us Men who can't seem to follow basic guidelines and rules. I guess its because we are so use to acting as teens and have never grown. And yes, this specific thread has turned into a discussion of is BLU a specialty restaurant and therefore 'exempt', but my view is that is just another excuse for us men to not dress up and show how 'independent' we are.

Excuses: its a specially restaurant, not enough room in suitcase, and my favorite, 'I have to wear a suit at work' - interpreted to mean, 'I'll dress properly at work for money, but won't do so for my wife' Got it. Now we can continue.

Den

Den:

I hate to disagree with you but using the Specialty restaurant reason is not an excuse, it is what Celebrity is telling us is their guidelines. Just like cruise critic has guidelines, so does Celebrity. You may treat it differently and so may I but the average person going on Celebritys web site can only come to one conclusion. Again, you are expressing an opinion which I respect but it is not what Celebrity is telling their cruisers...

Also, which no one has questioned which I brought up earlier is Blus status to suite passengers. To them it is nothing but another Specialty restaurant such as Tuscan, Murano, etc. How do you ask AQ passengers to be formal when suite passengers are allowed to dress smart casual due to Celebrity's guidelines...

Again, I am not expressing an opinion, only trying to answer the OPs question who may be new to Celebrity and not know any of this...

We are going in AQ for the first time in November and one of the reasons we are willing to spring for the extra money is that we understood from the web site that smart casual applies every night in Blu as in Oceania.

It is really helpful to know from some of the previous posters that that is the case.

It is not helpful to continue the argument about other people's attire. I respect the right of the cruise line to suggest appropriate attire, but I feel no need to police others who dress down or up. It's none of my business.

We are going in AQ for the first time in November and one of the reasons we are willing to spring for the extra money is that we understood from the web site that smart casual applies every night in Blu as in Oceania.

It is really helpful to know from some of the previous posters that that is the case.

It is not helpful to continue the argument about other people's attire. I respect the right of the cruise line to suggest appropriate attire, but I feel no need to police others who dress down or up. It's none of my business.

On both my Equinox cruises Blu's attire was formal on formal nights, not smart casual.

Just to add to the confusion, we sailed on the Solstice a few weeks ago. In the daily, Celebrity Today, they list Blu as the AquaClass dining room. Farther down the list of "Culinary Delights" they have a sub heading of Specialty Restaurants: Murano, Silk Harvest, Tuscan Grille.

In any event, on the two formal nights, every man I saw in Blu was wearing either a tux or a suit.

Thank you. Well said! Unfortunately way too many others on this board have chosen to make it their business although I am not sure why.

Obviously, Celebrity is less than consistent re: formal nights in Blu. As I've posted earlier, on our November Solstice cruise formal dress was enforced by warning us the day before and handing out jackets to men who arrived that night without same.

Perhaps it's well past time for Celebrity to establish clear rules that do not vary by date, ship or itinerary. That may also serve to put an end to some of the critical comments on this board.

I have no idea why the policy seems to vary.

Archived