Cruising Tomorrow- Will I be Denied Boarding?

Add me to the list of "maiden name as middle name." I'm also in the south. I'm also an attorney who was already practicing and had established myself with my maiden name in my city, so I didn't want to lose it completely.

Not a bright note, I suppose, but the "maiden name to middle name" makes it easier to go back to the "maiden name as last name" upon divorce.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

*If DH ever follows through on what he said he wants to do, which is to change his to my last name, I bet 18,000 bucks that they WILL check his legal paperwork to figure out why/when/how his name changed, if he used a BC and ID..... So they should check it out for women, too.

I had changed my name a while back to match my husband's. As part of that process, I had my passport updated with my new name.

For those who don't know, at least back then, an updated passport was merely a typed note added to one of the back pages that said something like "As of <date>, name was changed to X Y Z" and a brief note added to the front page saying "See page 31" where the additional note was.

I had two experiences that I remember using that passport as ID:

1. When flying to the cruise port, the ticket agent looked at the front page, verified that it was my picture, but failed to note that the name on the front page didn't match the ticket. I was able to board the plane and fly to the port just fine.
  2. When getting ready to board the ship, the counter agent got very confused that the name on the front page of the passport didn't match my name for the cruise. I'll note that I did change my name from First Middle "Maiden-Last" to First "Maiden-Last" "New-Last", so there was some commonality. I pointed out to the counter agent the note that referred to the back page, she looked there, verified that the name did then match, and all was well.

I thought it was interesting that the cruise agent was more exacting about the passport name versus the passenger manifest than the airline agent.

I've never needed a marriage certificate.....but I do use my maiden name as my "middle" name....all married women should.

They are looking at birthdates...no worries...they won't ask for the marriage cert.

Better yet, don't change your name and you want have to worry about things like this :p.

OP, I'm confused about what role a marriage certificate would play. Does your wife's drivers license have one name and her passport another? What name did you use to book the cabin?

I hope you find your passport this evening but if not I think you have enough doc's you should be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

OP posted yesterday. They are cruising today so hopefully they are onboard.

OP, I'm confused about what role a marriage certificate would play. Does your wife's drivers license have one name and her passport another? What name did you use to book the cabin?

if you use the birth cert + DL, then the marriage cert would show how you went from one last name to the other.

This just reminded me to get my passport changed with my new name. I chose to use my maiden name as my middle name. It is SO much easier for explanations with official documents and such, or when changing names at doctor's offices, etc.

I tried desperately not to change my name at all, but my husband said that was a slap in his face. I really liked my last name and didn't want to ever give it up!! I hate that I have to pay almost the full price just to change a stupid name though!!

Edited by life_dizzy

My passport with my married last name did not arrive in time (sent it in 6 weeks out...) so I used my birth certificate and driver's license but I DID need my marriage license as well to use as the bridging document. Mine was a certified copy, but I'm not sure she actually looked for the raised seal. I'd definitely bring it just in case!

Much ado about nothing. The agents, going on and off the ship had zero interest in the birth certificates. Both only checked our drivers licenses.

Are you saying you checked in with just your driver's license? If so, that goes against every rule in place for cruising. DL and BC or passport is "required" to cruise. Don't lead people to believe they can cruise with only a DL, because they can't.

Edited by BND

Much ado about nothing. The agents, going on and off the ship had zero interest in the birth certificates. Both only checked our drivers licenses.

I believe the OP is referring to getting on and off the ships while in Caribbean ports. I'm sure they had to show Birth Certificates or Passports prior to going through security (to the TSA agent) and at the check in desk before obtaining Set Sail passes. After that happens, just getting on and off the ship while visiting ports is accomplished with driver's license and set sail pass. The OP would have had to show Birth Certificates or Passports when arriving back in the country to go through Customs.