Cruising Tomorrow- Will I be Denied Boarding?

My wife and I did some extensive house cleaning last month and when I went to get our passports tonight, they were not where they should have been.

I'm sure they are around somewhere but time is running out.

Our cruise is closed loop, so we can use drivers licenses and certified birth certificates, which we used many times, before getting our passports. I also have copies of our passports, for whatever that is worth.

My concern is that I read somewhere, that the agent might ask for a certified copy of the marriage license to verify the change from the wife's maiden name. I have an uncertified copy.

Have any married couples, not using passports been asked for a certified copy of the marriage license?

With the documents you have you should have no trouble. I hope you find your passports this evening, just because it will make your life so much easier... but you should have no trouble. Don't Worry... Be Happy... Enjoy your Cruise!!!

Used my birth certificate and drivers license, brought my marriage license and they never asked for it. Just bring everything you have, relax and have a great time! (But if your like me you will still worry until your on the ship!)

Used the documents many times before getting passports on closed loop cruise and on an Alaskan cruise. Never took a marriage license and was never asked for it.

Call Royal if you have any doubts. They will let you know the kind of ID you need. Good luck on finding your passports. Have an awesome cruise.

My wife and I did some extensive house cleaning last month and when I went to get our passports tonight, they were not where they should have been.

I'm sure they are around somewhere but time is running out.

Our cruise is closed loop, so we can use drivers licenses and certified birth certificates, which we used many times, before getting our passports. I also have copies of our passports, for whatever that is worth.

My concern is that I read somewhere, that the agent might ask for a certified copy of the marriage license to verify the change from the wife's maiden name. I have an uncertified copy.

Have any married couples, not using passports been asked for a certified copy of the marriage license?

Dog ate my passport:o

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

HEY!!!!! LaLa ate your passports!!!!!! :eek: :p

HEY!!!!! LaLa ate your passports!!!!!! :eek: :p

At least you know where they are now! Cute dog :)

I agree, give them a ring to confirm what ID, explain the situation, and then you will be more relaxed. I would believe the people here that have actually done it also.

I know the feeling when you tidy up and the passports are not where you thought you left them. I am feeling your pain!

Edited by goodycruising

I've never needed a marriage certificate.....but I do use my maiden name as my "middle" name....all married women should.

They are looking at birthdates...no worries...they won't ask for the marriage cert.

I've never needed a marriage certificate.....but I do use my maiden name as my "middle" name....all married women should.

So women should mess with TWO of their names just b/c they got married? Jinkies, that's a lot of names being moved or done away with. Even weirder for me, since I was the only that chose my middle name. (apart from my mom, who was born in '44 and is no longer with us, I know literally NO woman who changed her middle name to anything when she got married.)

Glad neither DH nor I changed our names. Much easier.

OP, although I personally wish they would check marriage certificates b/c it just seems like a huge security hole to me that they don't*, the fact is, they don't seem to check them. Alas, cruiselines don't listen to me... Lucky for you!

How'd you end up with an uncertified copy, though? First thing DH and I did on our way from marriage city to home to honeymoon was stop in, turn in the forms (our officiant had a new baby at home and rushed away, and we married on a Sunday, so it was easiest for us to stop at the registrar's office on Monday), and get two certified copies to bring home with us. :)

But I'm 99.99999% sure you'll be fine. Glad for you that cruiselines don't listen to me. :p

*If DH ever follows through on what he said he wants to do, which is to change his to my last name, I bet 18,000 bucks that they WILL check his legal paperwork to figure out why/when/how his name changed, if he used a BC and ID..... So they should check it out for women, too.

So women should mess with TWO of their names just b/c they got married? Jinkies, that's a lot of names being moved or done away with. Even weirder for me, since I was the only that chose my middle name. (apart from my mom, who was born in '44 and is no longer with us, I know literally NO woman who changed her middle name to anything when she got married.)

Every woman in my family (maybe it is a southern thing?) has done this as far back and extended sideways as I can tell.

When married, drop either the first or middle name that wasnt used and add married surname. So A B C became A C D or B C D depending on whether they went by their first or middle name.

Of course, at least one child would end up with her maiden name as a middle name as well, which makes ancestry research much easier.

Soooooooo, how many of you have cruises booked and are going to double check the location of your passports :p and don't forget to check the expiration date! :D

seriously....I am :o

Soooooooo, how many of you have cruises booked and are going to double check the location of your passports :p and don't forget to check the expiration date! :D

I would be embarrassed to reveal how often I check for the passports. Can you say OCD?

Edited by clarea

I would be embarrassed to reveal how often I check for the passports. Can you say OCD?

Me too lol. I probably check for them 10 times the day we leave home and I always know where they are in my house because I keep them in one of two places all the time.:D

We saw a couple when we were waiting in line for security for GR this past March who were fighting. He was yelling at her (hushed voice yelling, but still really berating her) because she couldn't find their passports. He was a bit illogical as he stated that "he was going on this cruise whether she could find them or not" Really? Anyway, boarding ID seems to be what most people sweat. And, I have no idea if they ever boarded but he was being so obnoxious that he completely rattled her so she was having trouble searching her bag.

I've never needed a marriage certificate.....but I do use my maiden name as my "middle" name....all married women should....

Since you do, it necessarily follows that every married woman should, since we all know that whatever you do is the only way things should be done.:rolleyes:

Same here. It's the one item I'm most worried about before leaving.

Heck...even throughout the year when I'm not cruising I randomly check on it. Too many times I've put something where I won't forget it and forget where I put it. :o

Me too lol. I probably check for them 10 times the day we leave home and I always know where they are in my house because I keep them in one of two places all the time.:D

And then I check my purse a couple of times while driving to the port in case they decided to jump out of there or something :eek:

Every time we look at the docs for our next cruise:o

As soon as we get back from a cruise, the passports go straight into the folder for the next cruise, so any time we need to do anything on the next reservation, the passports are there already:o

Every woman in my family (maybe it is a southern thing?) has done this as far back and extended sideways as I can tell.

When married, drop either the first or middle name that wasnt used and add married surname. So A B C became A C D or B C D depending on whether they went by their first or middle name.

Of course, at least one child would end up with her maiden name as a middle name as well, which makes ancestry research much easier.

First time I have heard of that.....do you go through the Legal Change Of Name Act? Is it changed on the Marriage Cert.? Can't just add or change a name up here.

Add me to the list of people who went from ABC to ACD when I got married.

Here in MA (I don't know if this is universal), when I asked about doing this when filing for the marriage license, I was told that middle names have no real legal standing, so you can use whatever you want for your middle name without having to legally change it.

You still have to change it with Social Security, the DMV, Passport, etc. if that's what you want to be known by But, it was just a matter of filling out my license application that way.

OP...by chance did you scan them and leave them on the scanner?

Or put them in a file?

Oh...good idea! I did that one time years ago and remember the panic of trying to find my DS's passport. Go look, even if you don't think you did!!

And then I check my purse a couple of times while driving to the port in case they decided to jump out of there or something :eek:

OMG I am so glad Im not the only one who does that. I also tell my son 'watch where I am putting these because I will forget' lol.