attn: @Celebrity Cruises -- questionable business practices

LKN-NC

@Celebrity Cruises

I have a problem that my TA was unable to resolve today after many hours on the phone, despite being Celebrity's fault and the "I can't change that" attitude that's becoming mentioned more and more in posts on this board.

I'm not a complainer, anyone can review my posts. This is a real problem and not fair to your clientele. I'm not going to cancel, but I wonder about a company that cares so little.

In March we booked a 2015 cruise while onboard, in Concierge Class with the OBC and beverage package that is now 'standard' with the promise of being able to add a 3rd perk. The current 1-2-3 promo started Sunday June 1 and on June 2 I had my TA call to add my 3rd perk. I checked the rates and the price had only changed less than $70 TOTAL so $350 in "free gratuities" was a no brainer.

At the time the rep said they were so busy it would be 2 weeks until we could get a confirmation, but reassured my TA that all was good.

2 weeks later I make final payment on our September cruise and ask the TA again to request a confirmation and again we get the 'we're still behind' but the rep 'checked' and reassured my TA that everything was in order.

Meanwhile the prices have soared close to $1000 more before the category sold out. No chance of price drops.

Yesterday I remembered I hadn't gotten the confirmation so I asked my TA to call yet again and she did. Imagine my shock when my fare went up $400 plus gratuities were added AND no promo for the free gratuity perk. $750 total more added to the most expensive cruise we have ever booked. I realized this at midnight last night, let the TA know by email (she's always available) and she was on the phone this morning for several hours, despite having her brother in the hospital.

I've booked 14 cruises with this TA and I know she would never have agreed to a fare increase that exceeds the value of the promo itself, she's as careful as I am about fares and price drops and would never have agreed to this.

Fast forward to today and the result of the first call was addition of the promo code. The rep implied that would make things right, but it doesn't. We spend little on board so we planned to use the OBC for gratuities. The free gratuities promo is not worth it if I pay $400 more for the cruise. We don't plan on many shore excursions so we won't spend it there. We don't drink much so the drink package and Elite cocktails are more than enough. Even if we did want to spend the extra dollars in no way does paying $400+taxes for a $350 perk would ever make sense to anyone.

The second 2 hr phone call was to request making things right. We would have been happy with just going back to our original booking and forgetting the 3rd perk. We're pretty easy to please. She called me while on hold and said they were pulling up the original booking with the hope of restoring what we had.

The end result was "No", Celebrity can't/won't be doing anything. It stands as is. My TA (in a small local agency) is going to pay the $400 if it comes to that.

We should not be expected to pay for something that was a result of the 1-2-3 promo overwhelming the booking system to the point our promo didn't get added until the price had gone up significantly. This leaves a feeling of betrayal too as we've spent a lot of money with Celebrity as have others and now being treated this way.

@Celebrity Cruises, I hope you read this and can explain how this is right.

LKN-NC

I am sorry to hear of your problems.

Were the conversations between your TA and the Celebrity rep recorded or in a written form ?

Promises seem to be kept more often when there is proof .

It shouldn't make a difference but sometimes it does.

It sounds like your TA has a problem....once you have a booking through the TA, then all billing/perk type stuff is arranged through the TA. In this case, if I understand it correctly, you made the request in a timely way to your TA...and for whatever reason the TA didn't do their job...it's not important to you whether it was the TA who didn't push enough or Celebrity that caused the delay.

Although only reading one side of the story, I think your TA has to make you whole on this...and they can figure out with Celebrity who is responsible and who pays for what.

I would call the head person in your TA's office, go through the dates/conversations and ask them how they are going to resolve this with what you requested in a timely manner. Let them figure it out....because Celebrity won't talk to you anyway.

Edited by ghstudio

I agree with ghstudio. Sounds like your TA didn't insist and make sure things were right.

I would never agree to wait because they were 'too busy' and would have called back right away.

Did your TA give you a confirmation in writing?

Hopefully this will get resolved to your satisfaction.

I agree with ghstudio. Sounds like your TA didn't insist and make sure things were right.

I would never agree to wait because they were 'too busy' and would have called back right away.

Did your TA give you a confirmation in writing?

Hopefully this will get resolved to your satisfaction.

MonicaJay, ghStudio and all --

Thanks all for your concern. I guess you live and learn not to trust a company you've dealt with comfortably in the past.

I booked directly with Celebrity on board and Celebrity transferred the booking.

They weren't too busy, it was Celebrity that said they couldn't send the confirmation on 2 occasions and it would be 2 weeks, not my TA. The TA was on top this from the beginning. How would we suspect a problem if we didn't know one could possibly exist? I checked prices the day the request was made and it definitely was not $400 more.

I'm not the first one to note that Celebrity couldn't/wouldn't send a confirmation immediately during this promo. I didn't even get one originally from Celebrity on booking, the TA had to track that one down when we returned back to the US.

Let's not assume the TA was negligent (which she wasn't). Celebrity was clearly wrong this time.

as they used to say be careful out there ;)

Is it really possible to have all 3 of the 123/PYP perks: Beverage, OBC and Grats?

Yes, but only if you book onboard (new in March). Choice of 2 onboard and the option to add the 3rd later.

:)

I didn't even get one originally from Celebrity on booking, the TA had to track that one down when we returned back to the US.

This is very weird, when I book on board, they print the 3 page confirmation out right there in the sales office while I sit there, then they highlight the deposit schedule and perks even...They even emailed it to me and I got it in email while sitting there - I have an international data plan on my iPhone so get emails while cruising.

odd....:confused:

Yes, but only if you book onboard (new in March). Choice of 2 onboard and the option to add the 3rd later.

This is news I've got several I've booked on board since march. I'm gonna have to call. I thought the 123 isn't combinable with 123.....

Sorry about your booking problems.

I have never had any of the problems that you had. I have had to wait five minutes on hold or had them call me back in 10.

I have never had to wait more than a few minutes for my email confirmation. Two weeks is unacceptable.

I don't use a TA, and I have noticed many on cc have had issues with their reservations that traced back to the TA. This is not likely the case here.

Celebrity needs to rethink its promotions and just go with best price.

Why would you have the "option" to add the third later? If it's three out of three...there is no 4th choice to pick? You just take all three...

Can you explain what you mean? [is there a reason you wouldn't wanted the 3rd option?]

[i too just had the 1,2,3go promotion, that the online Celebrity agent told my TA that I qualified for for my sailing, denied from my cruise...and only got $150 for using ChoiceAir when my TA was told $200. She said she argued at length as these were offered by the agent, not requested by my TA...but nothing worked]

HLR

This is very weird, when I book on board, they print the 3 page confirmation out right there in the sales office while I sit there, then they highlight the deposit schedule and perks even...They even emailed it to me and I got it in email while sitting there - I have an international data plan on my iPhone so get emails while cruising.

odd....:confused:

They gave us one immediately WITHOUT the package and OBC on it - was so new it wasn't in the computer, I think we were one of the first. Thats why we had to request one when we got back, as all we had was hand-written what the perks would be. We had planned to book onboard for the CC early booking bonus for the new Europe itineraries and were surprised by the 1-2-3 promo and bigger OBC. Even the flyers were wrong.

Prices weren't published until after we had already booked, we check the website the next day on ship. on April 10 we got one that reflected the OBC and promo. It didn't show in my Celebrity until a couple weeks ago and then disappeared for a while during the change to website format. So yes, we'e been on top of everything this cruise booking!

Why would you have the "option" to add the third later? If it's three out of three...there is no 4th choice to pick? You just take all three...

Can you explain what you mean? [is there a reason you wouldn't wanted the 3rd option?]

[i too just had the 1,2,3go promotion, that the online Celebrity agent told my TA that I qualified for for my sailing, denied from my cruise...and only got $150 for using ChoiceAir when my TA was told $200. She said she argued at length as these were offered by the agent, not requested by my TA...but nothing worked]

HLR

It was onboard bookings only, an OBC PLUS pick a perk from 1-2-3 -- could have had 2 OBCs if we wanted. And the promise to be able to add one perk later. So who wouldn't do this?

We were on board the a Reflection March and booked another cruise. We were given an OBC and only one choice of the 1-2-3 perk. Nothing was ever said about being able to add another perk. Our invoice also had the OBC and our choice of perk listed on the invoice.

Edited by cruisingator2

Here is the program that was presented to us in March on the Reflection. No mention of adding a third perk.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/whats-new?event_date=2014-03-28&sequence_code=a&pageNumber=

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037573_CEL_Cruise_Now_Form_Future_Cruise.pdf

Note in the fine print at the bottom, combinable with one additional offer up final payment.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037573_CEL_Cruise_Now_Form_Future_Cruise.pdf

Note in the fine print at the bottom, combinable with one additional offer up final payment.

To Qualify for the 123go! Shipboard Offer, the following requirements must be satisfied. Cruise must be booked on or after March 1, 2014 while you are currently onboard a Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean, or Azamara Club Cruises vessel and must be a 3-night or longer cruise. Offer is only valid for Celebrity Cruises and cruisetours,excludes Celebrity Book & Go and Premium Vacation packages, Xpedition, Transatlantics and Transpacific cruises. Offer requires ocean view or higher stateroom booking at the non-discounted standard cruise fare. Offer is only combinable with a Cruise Now reservation that is booked while onboard and cannot be combined with any other offer, promotion or price program. Offer is applicable to new individual bookings and to staterooms in non-contracted group bookings, which must be named and deposited at time of booking. Bookings that meet all of these requirements are “Qualifying Bookings.” The first two guests in a Qualifying Booking may choose one of these options for all sailings: Classic Beverage Package for Two, Free Gratuities for Two, or Onboard Credit (“OBC”). The first two guests in the stateroom must select the same options. Limit of one Offer per stateroom. All guests in the stateroom must book while they are onboard. You must notify Celebrity of the option(s) at time of booking . Provide promo code CNBEV123go for Beverage, CNOBC123go for OBC, and CNGR123go for Gratuities. Classic Beverage Package for Two option applies to two guests per stateroom and includes beers up to $5 per serving; and spirits, cocktails, and wine up to $8 per serving, all soda selections, fresh squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees, teas and non-premium bottled water and server gratuities (amount based on gratuity guidelines). Premium Beverage Package upgrade available for an additional charge of $11.50 per person, per day which includes gratuities by contacting Celebrity Cruises. Beverage Packages: Terms of Celebrity’s Alcohol Policy apply, including a minimum drinking age, which varies by itinerary. Each guest must provide date of birth by minimum 10 days prior to departure date.Free Gratuities for Two option applies to two guests per stateroom and provides for prepaid stateroom, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter gratuities in the amount suggested by Celebrity’s guidelines.Onboard Credit option is one per stateroom and the amount is based on the number of cruise nights: 3-5 nights $100; 6-9 nights $200; 10 nights or more $300. OBC has no cash value, is applicable to cruise only, non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and will expire if not used by 10:00 PM on the final night of the cruise. Trade: Group bookings that are named prior to the Offer Period cannot be cancelled and rebooked under this Offer.All Offers are non-transferable and applicable only to the Offer Cruise. Offers exclude interior staterooms. No refunds or credits for unused options. Offers are subject to availability and change without notice, and are capacity controlled. Offers not applicable to charters or contracted groups. Cruise portion of cruisetours eligible for Offers based on number of cruise nights. Single occupancy bookings eligible for Offers. Refer to Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. ©2013 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships registered in Malta and Ecuador. 14037573 • 2/2014

We booked 6 cruises while onboard the Reflection and the Constellation in March. For booking onboard we received the booking OBC plus our choice of one perk from 123. We also took advantage of the free one catergory upgrade. There was never any mention of a 2nd 123 perk nor after reading the fine print, did we expect one.

We booked 6 cruises while onboard the Reflection and the Constellation in March. For booking onboard we received the booking OBC plus our choice of one perk from 123. We also took advantage of the free one catergory upgrade. There was never any mention of a 2nd 123 perk nor after reading the fine print, did we expect one.

i'm not imagining this...

I guess this is why I usually only post on roll calls. not going to argue any more. good night

Cruise Now program may be combinable with one additional offer of your choice available up to the final payment due date. If you change your current Cruise Now reservation in order to combine with another offer at a later date, your Cruise Now reservation would adjust to prevailing rates as of the date of your requested change and the new offer would then be applied. Cruise Now program excludes certain promotions and discounted rates, including, Share Holder Credit, Exciting Deals, net rates, gross rates, cruise certificates, Interline, travel agent, and employee rates. Single occupancy guests and the cruise portion of cruisetours are eligible for offers. Modern Luxury is a trademark of Celebrity Cruises Inc. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice. ©2013 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships registered in Malta and Ecuador. 14037573 • 3/2014

Edited by LKN-NC

i'm not imagining this...

I guess this is why I usually only post on roll calls. not going to argue any more. good night

Cruise Now program may be combinable with one additional offer of your choice available up to the final payment due date. If you change your current Cruise Now reservation in order to combine with another offer at a later date, your Cruise Now reservation would adjust to prevailing rates as of the date of your requested change and the new offer would then be applied. Cruise Now program excludes certain promotions and discounted rates, including, Share Holder Credit, Exciting Deals, net rates, gross rates, cruise certificates, Interline, travel agent, and employee rates. Single occupancy guests and the cruise portion of cruisetours are eligible for offers. Modern Luxury is a trademark of Celebrity Cruises Inc. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice. ©2013 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships registered in Malta and Ecuador. 14037573 • 3/2014

But it is the next sentence that describes your situation. You're requesting a new offer so prevailing rates apply.

Edited by Oville

The OP appears to have been requesting the Europe offer which allows 2 of 3 perks vs. the 1 of 3 perks for booking onboard. The onboard booking contract provided additional OBC for booking aboard as well as the option to choose one additional offer in the future at the prevailing rate at that time.

She made the request on June 2nd, understood that the rate had increased by $70 per person, but felt the extra benefit outweighed the increased cabin cost. Evidently her TA was told by Celebrity that written confirmation would take two weeks but her revised reservation was not processed by Celebrity.

Should the TA have been more diligent in her follow through, IDK?...

For our upcoming European cruise, we booked aboard the Millennium in April and chose the $200 OBC for the "1" allowed us of the 1-2-3 offered then + received $150 additional OBC for the onboard booking. When the 1-2-3 began, the pricing of our cabin was $200 per person more, and I decided adding either the classic beverage or prepaid gratuities options wasn't worth paying that much more for the cruise.

Had it been worth it to request the one additional offer as allowed per our booking, we might be in the same boat as the OP who was told there'd be a delay in processing her revised confirmation, because our $1695 rate is now $2325:eek:!

Edited by TMLAalum

I had never heard of 3 perks

As far as I know

It is 1 perk unless you do Europe then it is 2

But it is combinable with 1 other promotion but at the prevailing rate

In my own case I had obc from onboard booking & free gratuities when another promo came out along with price reduction

I lost free grats but with price reduction and additional obc I was still ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The OP appears to have been requesting the Europe offer which allows 2 of 3 perks vs. the 1 of 3 perks for booking onboard. The onboard booking contract provided additional OBC for booking aboard as well as the option to choose one additional offer in the future at the prevailing rate at that time.

She made the request on June 2nd, understood that the rate had increased by $70 per person, but felt the extra benefit outweighed the increased cabin cost. Evidently her TA was told by Celebrity that written confirmation would take two weeks but her revised reservation was not processed by Celebrity.

Should the TA have been more diligent in her follow through, IDK?...

For our upcoming European cruise, we booked aboard the Millennium in April and chose the $200 OBC for the "1" allowed us of the 1-2-3 offered then + received $150 additional OBC for the onboard booking. When the 1-2-3 began, the pricing of our cabin was $200 per person more, and I decided adding either the classic beverage or prepaid gratuities options wasn't worth paying that much more for the cruise.

Had it been worth it to request the one additional offer as allowed per our booking, we might be in the same boat as the OP who was told there'd be a delay in processing her revised confirmation, because our $1695 rate is now $2325:eek:!

Thank-you! Exactly my point, this should not happen and when mistakes are made they should be reversible. I added the 1-2-3 to my fall cruise for a $100 increase fully aware of how this works (and now aware of how it doesn't work!) Both I and my TA knew the rules, I had actually told her how much extra was OK. Paying more than the value of the perk itself is never OK in any situation.

I had never heard of 3 perks

As far as I know

It is 1 perk unless you do Europe then it is 2

But it is combinable with 1 other promotion but at the prevailing rate

In my own case I had obc from onboard booking & free gratuities when another promo came out along with price reduction

I lost free grats but with price reduction and additional obc I was still ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think the OBC is for booking onboard plus pick one now and the option for another later. so technically not 3 since I could have picked another OBC at booking and added drink package later. This is for Europe if that makes any difference. I have 2 separate 1-2-3- codes on the confirmation plus a coded OBC