Maasdam: on the way, then "live from".

Moriah

Thanks, Moriah, for all the information.My concern is about spa. Is there a steam room or a sauna included. This pool is too small to be a thalasotherpy pool with varying jet locations. I am thinking of the QM2 , which has a large warm pool with sauna and steam rooms. Does this resemble in any way what is on the Maasdam. Also, if I don't buy the week, and have a spa treatment, am I entitled to use of this area?

The soda card/ Does it still cost $25 for $50 worth of soda? I am a new 3 star mariner,isn't there a reduced price on specialty coffees? Also, the Pinnacle?

There is very little action on the Roll call. I mentioned that I could meet anyone interested at a bar after muster Can you suggest a good one for sail away?

Thanks again for your information.

Best,

Tom

Tom, it actually is supposedly a "mineral pool" although it is, as you said, very small and nothing at all like the ones on the larger ships. Still nice, though. The one you describe on the QM2 probably resembles the ones on the HAL Vista and larger ships.

Yes, there is a steam room and sauna included. I forgot to mention those because I am not a heat-seeker and rarely use them, but those who do say the ones on Maasdam are very nice. If you don't buy the pass to the thermal suite for the entire cruise, you can buy single days for $40, and if you have a spa treatment you can add use of the thermal suite for $20 (I believe that has to be used directly after your treatment, but not 100% sure about that - probably at least same day).

Sorry, I don't drink soda so can't help you on that, but YES - as a 3 star mariner you get a discount on specialty coffees and on meals at the Pinnacle. These discounts are tallied automatically when you pay with your room card (the only way you can pay, anyway). The system already has you in it as a 3 star mariner and will give you all your benefits. You'll see your stars right on your room card.

IMO a good place for a meeting right after muster would be the Crow's Nest, or the Lido Pool bar - depending on the weather. You will sail away almost directly after muster drill, so you may want to be out on deck or at least in the Lido area where you can get the breeze and feel the movement... But from the Crow's Nest you'll at least get a "bird's eye view" of the sail away. The Hal Cats will probably be playing at the pool, so keep in mind it could be noisy. The Crow's Nest might be quieter, but it's all enclosed.

When you go to the Explorations Cafe for your specially coffees please say hello to Caryl - Barista extraordinaire! :)

You are very welcome. I love answering questions because it keeps me connected with my wonderful cruise!

Also thanks to everyone else who has commented without questions - my SO sees me typing away and thinks I must be writing way too much detail and nobody could possibly care. Sigh.. he just doesn't understand forum people. :) To each his own, but I loved writing the report BECAUSE I love reading reports that others write!! And.. want to give back to CC that has given me so much over the years.

Edited by Moriah

Moriah, your reviews have been a joy to read. We will board mid August and look forward to enjoying sail-away from the ports on the bow of the ship, thank you for that insight.

When you attended the musical in Charlottetown, was the theater full? If they do not play to a full house, we may purchase our tickets that day. We are considering lunch prior to the production and possibly enjoying the free outdoor presentation at noon.

Were you able to order your burgers sans the bun? They sound so good!

I enjoyed reading your take on cruising solo and how this sailing differed from your other sailings. We know we will be enjoying a lobster lunch in a couple of ports and will not want to go the MDR each evening. A light supper on the back deck is a real treat and adds variety to our vacation.

Hope you soon feel better.

Moriah,

Enjoyed your review. We were looking to do this as a b2b next summer but all the lower class rooms seem to be booked for every cruise next summer (only verandah and higher cabins are available). We have done a round trip from Boston to Sydney and enjoyed that. Your review brought back many good memories of our first cruise with HAL.:)

Thanks for writing about your cruise.

Edited by Traveling Dot

Moriah, your reviews have been a joy to read. We will board mid August and look forward to enjoying sail-away from the ports on the bow of the ship, thank you for that insight.

When you attended the musical in Charlottetown, was the theater full? If they do not play to a full house, we may purchase our tickets that day. We are considering lunch prior to the production and possibly enjoying the free outdoor presentation at noon.

Were you able to order your burgers sans the bun? They sound so good!

I enjoyed reading your take on cruising solo and how this sailing differed from your other sailings. We know we will be enjoying a lobster lunch in a couple of ports and will not want to go the MDR each evening. A light supper on the back deck is a real treat and adds variety to our vacation.

Hope you soon feel better.

Yes! When weather is good don't miss the bow - it's an exhilarating experience!

No, the play was NOT sold out, and I think your plan sounds wonderful.

I didn't bother asking for "sans bun", but instead simply removed it, although I realize this was wasteful, the Dive In does not serve on plates. Your burger comes wrapped in foil, on a tray. So getting it without a bun would be tricky. The "tray" is supposed to look like (well, and it does) those metal trays they would attach to the window of your car at a "Drive In" hamburger joint in the 50's and 60's. Since I'm old enough to remember that, I thought it was cute! So I just grabbed a plate and silverware from the Mexican buffet right next to the Dive In and dumped the contents of the bun onto it and ate it that way. Yum. Sometimes I even dressed it up with stuff from the Mexican buffet like guac... I thought the Dive In burgers were wonderful.

Yes, if you are lobster lovers this is your itinerary! Bar Harbor has some wonderful places just steps from the tender landing... I didn't do that this time, but have been there on road trips with friends and SO..

Thank you (and everyone else). The cold is pretty much over and I'm back in the "routine" as of today... I'm going to read over my entire trip journal tonight and maybe come up with some more insights on solo cruising. It's definitely something I want to repeat.

Moriah,

Enjoyed your review. We were looking to do this as a b2b next summer but all the lower class rooms seem to be booked for every cruise next summer (only verandah and higher cabins are available). We have done a round trip from Boston to Sydney and enjoyed that. Your review brought back many good memories of our first cruise with HAL.:)

I think knowing that Maasdam is sold is drawing all her loyals to "one last cruise" which may be why next summer is booking quickly... I suggest having a travel agent watch it for you. You could book a veranda on your favorite date just to get your deposit down, and hope that before final payment (which is about 9 months from now, depending on the date you choose for your sailing) a "lower" cabin will open up. Then if one doesn't and you really don't want the veranda you can cancel with no penalty. Meanwhile an agent could watch more dates for you.

Hope you get to go - it's a wonderful cruise.

I was going to ask the same about the Maasdam...perhaps OP is thinking about the Statendam or Ryndam leaving the HAL banner. I did a quick search of this board and Google and could find nothing about the Maasdam leaving the fleet.

Moriah,

Thanks again for all the information. I think I shall spring for the spa as long as there is a steam room. I like to clear my lungs out. I am looking forward to this cruise. I took one similar to this several years ago out of Quebec on the QE2.We stopped in Newport,RI.

I often travel solo and enjoy it a great deal. You get to do what you want, when you want. and where you want. You don't have to please others. I like to go with a large group as well because you can sneak away. When you travel with a SO you often feel responsible for their fun because you are the avid cruiser. Nobody is there to count your calories!!!--Just my opinion.

Again thanks,

Tom

When was the announcement of the Maasdam being sold??

.. sorry, I don't know about an "announcement" - but it is being talked about and was bandied about as "common knowledge" among guests on the cruise I was just on. Maybe someone else has more information. I hope I'm wrong and was just taking on the "knowledge" as a given because I kept hearing it...

Also, I found this recent thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064919

This poster also said it was talked about on a recent cruise. So now I don't know if it's true, or just some weird rumor being circulated!

I was just looking at 2016 sailings of the Maasdam from Ft Lauderdale to Rio. My impression was that it had been sold but I don 't know that I have ever seen it written as fact.

Thank you for taking time to reply to my questions, I still have hope for the burger bar. This itinerary and Alaska are our favorites.

Well it is very sad if they are selling all the smaller ships off, especially the ones that do the itineraries we enjoy. Out cruising days sound like they may be ending sooner than we expected.

Moriah,

Those cabins are not all booked. I questioned that also, but CC member informed me that they try to sell as many one way trips as they can because it adds up more money for them. I have a back to back booked, but I did it in two seperate trips which will be tied to together and hopefully the price will drop some, if not I will bail out.

I was on the same cruise as Moriah - and found it to be exceptional in every possible way. This was the smallest, and oldest, ship I have ever been on (excluding the Norway many years ago) but it was definitely one of my best cruises. Food, service, condition of the ship - everything exceeded my expectations.

My only negligible complaint - and not even a complaint - was that the Crow's Nest often ran out of Martini glasses - so Martinis were served in tumblers or wine glasses - i know, i know, first world problems....

In terms of staff: Too many to mention but here are a few:

Bar waitresses Evelyn (explorer's Lounge) and Esmerelda (Ocean Bar)

Cabin Steward: Manto - we were in cabin #536, and it was a great location, since we disembarked right near the cabin on three occasions - also this port side cabin gave us great views in port.

Front Desk: Jennifer and Marlette

Dining Room - where do I start? WE had as you wish dining - the first two nights everything was great - the third night it was beyond outstanding. We asked if we could make a reservation for the same table the next night - and we got it for the rest of the cruise. Table #306, in the centre section, a table for four, just in front of the large floral planter. Service by Mang and Adi was reminiscent of service levels from 15 years ago. Wine steward Rey as well. The dining room is run by Iman - who brought me soda water to try and get a stain out of my pants, and prepared a fruit plate for my mother the night she got seasick. And let us not forget the delightful and friendly Hostess Aurora.

I would also like to add a comment regarding the taxi situation to the antiquated Iberville terminal. It is NOT a common destination - the taxi dispatcher who spoke flawless English said he would explain to the driver. The driver spoke extremely limited English, and he had no idea where the terminal was. Luckily on the HAL boarding pass, they have the street name - highlight it, and show it to the driver. We managed - and it is understandable - the number of people going from the airport to the pier is negligible in a year. The terminal was built in 1967 - and NOTHING has changed - in the waiting areas, the tables have metal things attached which turned out to be ash trays - and still have cigarette butts in them. The actual check in and boarding area reminded my parents of when they immigrated from Italy in the 1950's. Really Montreal it is shameful.

Also, as Moriah mentioned, the rumours onboard are that next year will be the last Canada/New England season. If you are considering this cruise - I would not delay.

I was on the same cruise as Moriah -

Also, as Moriah mentioned, the rumours onboard are that next year will be the last Canada/New England season. If you are considering this cruise - I would not delay.

RD64! So glad you enjoyed the Maasdam as well! You were right down the hall from me - I was in 598! I agree it was so convenient getting on and off when the gangway was on deck 5. No congested stairways or elevators to deal with!

I just booked the same itinerary this afternoon - for next summer! This time I got an ocean view on deck 6, right next to the door going out to the promenade deck. The difference in price between that and a Lanai (my first choice, I thought) was so great it just didn't seem worth the premium to get the Lanai. It will be just as good - if not better - to have the ocean view right next to the exit, so I'm already getting excited, LOL, and it's a year away! Meanwhile, I'm still going to Alaska on Oosterdam in September! Life is good!

Moriah - I have to agree - I do not think the Lanai would have been worth it. That was my original choice, but the Lanai cabins do not hold three people, so we were limited. Oddly enough, most of the larger outside cabins do not sleep three - ours was a little tight - but certainly manageable. We did quite a few laps of Deck 6 - and I did not find the Lanai chairs to be occupied often.

To be honest with you, I thought this would be a one off cruise - my parents wanted to do this itinerary. However, I cannot believe how much I enjoyed it (except for Sydney). I would gladly do it again - and hopefully - cross your fingers - the Maasdam will do one last season in 2016. Next year we are going to do Barcelona to Venice.

We did quite a few laps of Deck 6 - and I did not find the Lanai chairs to be occupied often.

I know! I don't think I *ever* saw them occupied and I wondered about it! Although, I'm not much of a deck-sitter, myself. If I did have a lanai cabin the benefit would be quick access to the outdoors - not to sit, but to be moving about. Still... I've read threads where people were complaining of folks sitting in their reserved lanai chairs, and others where people said there were not enough deck chairs because so many were reserved.. and on our cruise nobody was in any of those chairs - reserved or otherwise! One of those curious things... :) I think I'll get the best of both worlds with my cabin near the door. It's also near the elevator so I can scoot right up to the spa :) Wow, I have transitioned quite quickly from talking about my very recent cruise (just got home yesterday from Boston!!!!) to talking about next year's cruise! I just have to laugh.

I'm surprised to read about Maasdam having been sold. There have been announcements about Statendam and Ryndam being transferred to P & O but I had not heard Maasdam is leaving the fleet.

We have sailed Maasdam over 30+ cruises and I surely want to sail her at least one more time. I love that Canada/NE itinerary.

I'm surprised to read about Maasdam having been sold. There have been announcements about Statendam and Ryndam being transferred to P & O but I had not heard Maasdam is leaving the fleet.

We have sailed Maasdam over 30+ cruises and I surely want to sail her at least one more time. I love that Canada/NE itinerary.

Sail, where do these announcements appear when something like this happens? how did HAL announce about Statendam and Ryndam being transferred? It would be so great if it's only a rumor about Maasdam and she was staying with HAL. I really hate thinking that HAL is only going to be left with huge ships - the new ones being built being even bigger than Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam... Also, I hate being one that circulates misinformation or rumors, so I hope I have not done that with what I've said in this thread about Maasdam and Veendam. All I really know is that there was talk (also among crew, which is I guess why I took it more as "fact", but still..) about Maasdam and Veendam having already been signed away from Hal... I would hate for someone to quote me though, and I will try to do some research today so we can know for sure, if possible.

Edited by Moriah

Regarding the "sale" of the Maasdam - there has been no official announcement - and it may not be true. Having been on the same cruise, in discussion with various crew members, it seems to be an inevitable thing. It would be a shame - and that was my closing comment on the survey - 'Please don't sell the Maasdam". However, I fear that Economics will seal her fate.

Oddly enough the crew I spoke to said that they should not even bother trying to sell the Veendam - they are of the opinion that she should go directly to the scrapper. The crew seem to not like working on that ship.

Sail, where do these announcements appear when something like this happens? how did HAL announce about Statendam and Ryndam being transferred? It would be so great if it's only a rumor about Maasdam and she was staying with HAL. I really hate thinking that HAL is only going to be left with huge ships - the new ones being built being even bigger than Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam... Also, I hate being one that circulates misinformation or rumors, so I hope I have not done that with what I've said in this thread about Maasdam and Veendam. All I really know is that there was talk (also among crew, which is I guess why I took it more as "fact", but still..) about Maasdam and Veendam having already been signed away from Hal... I would hate for someone to quote me though, and I will try to do some research today so we can know for sure, if possible.

Not Sail but here is that info on an official (I believe) HAL web site:

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2014/05/20/ryndam-statendam-to-move-to-sister-line-po-cruises/

Not Sail but here is that info on an official (I believe) HAL web site:

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2014/05/20/ryndam-statendam-to-move-to-sister-line-po-cruises/

Oh wow, thanks for that link! I had not seen that on the HAL site! Well, it's good to know we don't have to rely on rumors, and that they will actually announce when they let go of a ship.... so does this give us hope that Maasdam is sticking around? Probably at least a few more years...

I'm still glad I'm booked for next July!

I have never sailed on Ryndam or Statendam, but I understand the sadness of those who loved them... I will feel exactly the same if the rumors about Maasdam turn out to be true...