Taking food onto or off of ship

My DD's son will not eat a lot of different foods. So when we left the ship she would pack a pbj sandwich and nothing was said. She also brought snacks that he likes. This was in Bermuda.

Wouldn't that make him your grandson:confused:.

When we were in Bermuda last summer they inspected bags and only sealed items were allows off/on the ship. My daughter got an ice pop in the dockyard and 1 inspector told her she had to finish it before she reboarded but another said she could go on with it. The 2 of them got in an arguement while we got back on the ship.

We always bring something on that order, a muffin or croissant and they never make us give it up. It's the fresh fruit and meat or cheese / agriculture they want to stop.

Don't expect your "luck" to last indefinitely. At some point you will be stopped and whatever unpackaged foods you brought off the ship will be confiscated. Only sealed, pre-packaged foodstuffs are allowed to be taken off the ships. That you were not stopped is not evidence that the prohibition doesn't cover that muffin or croissant, only that enforcement of the prohibition is sometimes sketchy.

What about bringing food into ship? Same rules?

Heading to the Baltics and dh will stay on at a few stops. I'd love to grab some baked goods to bring back on for him.

I'm assuming I can bring on sealed candies, chips, etc.? I like to bring back chocolates and candies for coworkers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Heading to the Baltics and dh will stay on at a few stops. I'd love to grab some baked goods to bring back on for him.

I'm assuming I can bring on sealed candies, chips, etc.? I like to bring back chocolates and candies for coworkers :)

Never had an issue bringing candies chips etc on or off the ship.

I'm assuming I can bring on sealed candies, chips, etc.? I like to bring back chocolates and candies for coworkers

It seems that the main consumable the ship worries about coming on-board is alcohol. Because of this almost any liquid not factory sealed will be rejected. We have brought food, flowers, etc on-board (not hiding it from the security guys), but assume that most of it will not be allowed to be landed. Taking chocolates and candies off the ship and into the US is usually not a problem, but meats and vegetable mater is often a no-no. If in doubt, declare it on your customs form, there is usual no penalty other than the potential loss of the item; if you attempt to smuggle it and are caught you are likely to be looking at fines. Getting off a riverboat in Basel early we were given a boxed snack which included a roast beef sandwich; the sandwich went into my carry bag and was consumed on the layover in Frankfurt; almost ten hours later upon landing in Washington that cute little beagle sat down next to me and I had a visit from the agriculture guy - he listen to my explanation, sent me to the ag inspection area for a polite search and was allowed to go on my way - but I would have been in deep weeds if I had lied and they found something. Almost all of this is related to protecting against the spread of pests and diseases.

Thanks. Definitely not worried about bringing it back to the us....we'll eat the yummy baked goods well before then!

I was thinking of Danishs and things like that. I always see so many goodies in the European bakeries and can't eat it all at once :)

I'll give it a try on our first stop and see if I succeed. Worse case I have to eat it right away lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It seems that the main consumable the ship worries about coming on-board is alcohol. Because of this almost any liquid not factory sealed will be rejected. We have brought food, flowers, etc on-board (not hiding it from the security guys), but assume that most of it will not be allowed to be landed. Taking chocolates and candies off the ship and into the US is usually not a problem, but meats and vegetable mater is often a no-no. If in doubt, declare it on your customs form, there is usual no penalty other than the potential loss of the item; if you attempt to smuggle it and are caught you are likely to be looking at fines. Getting off a riverboat in Basel early we were given a boxed snack which included a roast beef sandwich; the sandwich went into my carry bag and was consumed on the layover in Frankfurt; almost ten hours later upon landing in Washington that cute little beagle sat down next to me and I had a visit from the agriculture guy - he listen to my explanation, sent me to the ag inspection area for a polite search and was allowed to go on my way - but I would have been in deep weeds if I had lied and they found something. Almost all of this is related to protecting against the spread of pests and diseases.

Yikes! That is crazy that the dog smelled it even after you ate!

I brought some cheese back from Amsterdam this month and no problems. I'm used to going back and forth between Canada/USA and know not to do meats or soft cheeses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yikes! That is crazy that the dog smelled it even after you ate!

I brought some cheese back from Amsterdam this month and no problems. I'm used to going back and forth between Canada/USA and know not to do meats or soft cheeses.

First time we visited Florida my OH had had a banana in his backpack but had eaten it on the plane before landing but that little beagle picked him out in the luggage hall.Second time of the dog returning his handler gave him a little doggie treat and pulled him away.

Those dogs are well trained and super sensitive.

So, if I wanted to bring something that I made onto the ship when we board in Fort Lauderdale would that be allowed?

If you are going to bring some sandwiches, or a snack, don't worry. If you are going to bring a casserole, you will probaly get stopped.

They don't worry about you bringing food products onto the ship, the worry is bringing it off the ship, in any port. You cannot bring open food (meaning not pre-packaged and not sealed) of any kind off the ships.

As the other posters have said you can bring home the packaged rum cakes.

Chile searches every bag coming off the ship. They search by hand, X-ray machine, beagles (dog) or combination. You are also required to fill out a declaration form that you must keep on you when ashore. Puerto montt and Arica screen bags when exiting and when reboarding aswell. Expect to be screened 3 times in these ports as the ship will screen you after the local authorities screen as you are reboarding. Also don't be suprised if you see a lot of dogs around as they have a problem with stray dogs and they may smell food aswell.

Early in the year I went on a cruise to Tasmania in Australia and they were selling honey in jars at the port even though anyone on the ship would have to throw it out at customs on reaching Sydney.

They wouldn't have to throw it out at Sydney if it was packaged right and not open

Early in the year I went on a cruise to Tasmania in Australia and they were selling honey in jars at the port even though anyone on the ship would have to throw it out at customs on reaching Sydney.
They wouldn't have to throw it out at Sydney if it was packaged right and not open
Some years ago we had unopened, commercially packaged Tasmania honey which was confiscated by the New Zealand agricultural authorities at Auckland airport. New Zealand has managed to avoid a number of the honey hive diseases that exist around the world, and was denying entry to imported honey. I was impressed that they inquired if we would be leaving NZ from AKL, and they held the honey which was returned to us some days later in the international departure area as we flew back to the US.

Thom

Busted by the Philadelphia based beagle... DW had a palm hat made for her on a beach. USDA folks very nice. We still love the beagles. They do amazing work for us. Its all to keep us safe. Seems silly, but really it is serious stuff.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

To go slightly off topic here when any of the RCI ships is docked in Australia or NZ they lock up all the on deck rubbish bins to make sure that birds don't come and scavenge. I am not sure if that happens elsewhere.

interesting. :)