Taking food onto or off of ship

Two part question.

Years ago when I last cruised I remember there were rules about food from another country being brough back to the U.S. but never paid attention. Specific to this trip we are planning to bring home some local Bermuda rum cakes for relatives. Is this allowed? Will it be no problem w customs?

Also, since we plan on doing some secluded beach day trips we were wondering if we can take buffet food or room service sandwiches off the ship and onto Bermuda?

Yes, you can bring the Rum Cakes onboard because they are pre-packed and sealed.

No, you are not supposed to bring sandwiches or any fresh foods ashore because of local agricultural rules/regulations. There will be a notice to this effect in the ship's daily newsletter. You can bring anything prepackaged and sealed, such as granola bars, or those small cereal boxes from the buffet/

So, if I wanted to bring something that I made onto the ship when we board in Fort Lauderdale would that be allowed?

I don't think so....I think that it has to be factory packaged and sealed.

So it's ok to bring packed sealed protein bars, correct? I know it's a stupid question considering how much food there is on the ship, but sometimes before breakfast I run and like to eat a protein bar to get me through the run.

Pre-packaged foods - nuts, granola bars, crackers and peanut butter - yes, these are all OK to take off the ship.

We have been searched at many ports, both a physical search of our bags and the sniffer dogs who sit down at your feet if you are "smuggling". This is serious business.

This could have changed, but I was told by an inspector when getting off the ship in Bermuda, that they were looking for meats, fruits, and vegetables. I had a couple of cookies from the café and they said that was OK, and they didn't take them. This was 3 years ago.

Two part question.

Years ago when I last cruised I remember there were rules about food from another country being brough back to the U.S. but never paid attention. Specific to this trip we are planning to bring home some local Bermuda rum cakes for relatives. Is this allowed? Will it be no problem w customs?

Also, since we plan on doing some secluded beach day trips we were wondering if we can take buffet food or room service sandwiches off the ship and onto Bermuda?

factory sealed rum cakes are allowed( I like the ginger myself)

no you may NOT bring anything off the ship that is not factory sealed.

Bermuda is the only port I've ever seen them checking bags when getting off the ship

They have been checking bags at Cozumel this year. It is by Mexican authorities just before entering the International Pier Marketplace.

ALL bags were checked in Mexico when we got off the ship. They asked us if we had anything and then all bags that we had with us were checked out by dogs. I wouldn't chance it with anything that was not allowed as stated in the fun times. Not sure I would want my time waisted in a port having to deal with an apple I brought off the buffet :D HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

On our last cruise we weren't allowed off the ship while eating an ice cream cone had to finish it or throw it away! Kind of thought that was crazy as it wasn't going to last long with temps in the 80's!

On our last cruise we weren't allowed off the ship while eating an ice cream cone had to finish it or throw it away! Kind of thought that was crazy as it wasn't going to last long with temps in the 80's!

About as bad as when we tried leaving the ship with a cup of coffee. They did the same to us!

Judging from the Oasis cruise we just went on, you will be searched at every port. You can take whatever you want off the ship. You can't bring any produce back on the ship. There are security stations where they'll put every bag through a scanner to make sure you don't bring anything back.

So it's ok to bring packed sealed protein bars, correct? I know it's a stupid question considering how much food there is on the ship, but sometimes before breakfast I run and like to eat a protein bar to get me through the run.

no problem with that.

This could have changed, but I was told by an inspector when getting off the ship in Bermuda, that they were looking for meats, fruits, and vegetables. I had a couple of cookies from the café and they said that was OK, and they didn't take them. This was 3 years ago.

We always bring something on that order, a muffin or croissant and they never make us give it up. It's the fresh fruit and meat or cheese / agriculture they want to stop.

...You can take whatever you want off the ship...
Absolutely NOT true. Just because you have not encountered problems, does not mean this is legal. The ship may not search you, but most countries have laws against bringing many agricultural items into their country. Some countries are much stricter than others (Australia, NZ and Chile spring to mind), but agriculture dogs are common in Cozumel. Most countries will allow you to just throw the item, but Australia has been known to throw people in jail for not declaring items (including nuts and packaged goods). I have seen both drug and agriculture dogs working Oasis disembarkment in Port Everglades, and you really don't want to mess with those guys.

My DD's son will not eat a lot of different foods. So when we left the ship she would pack a pbj sandwich and nothing was said. She also brought snacks that he likes. This was in Bermuda.

we docked at Melbourne Australia on one cruise and everybody that left the ship had to line up single file, place any bags on the floor and the sniffer dog would go along the line so if coming to Australia i wouldnt be taking any sandwiches ashore

we docked at Melbourne Australia on one cruise and everybody that left the ship had to line up single file, place any bags on the floor and the sniffer dog would go along the line so if coming to Australia i wouldn't be taking any sandwiches ashore

I agree or more hassle than it is worth.:eek::eek:

Edited by Folk Singer