Has anyone ever had a BAD private Guide in Turkey?

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced a bad private guide in Turkey?

The ones I have had have all been outstanding, even the ones contracted by the ship excursions, so I was just curious if anyone has had a bad experience there?

I actually had a REALLY bad guide on a ship tour in Turkey. The tour was in Antakya, but they had bussed some guides down from Istanbul to handle all the tours. (Antakya doesn't get a lot of cruise ship calls....)

I don't know if this guide was in a bad mood due to this or was just not good. She told us right off the bat that she wasn't going to tell us any history or dates "because we would just forget it all anyway" (her exact words). Then she proceeded to either shill for places where we should buy stuff or talk on her cell phone during the long-ish bus ride into the town.

What really got me, though, were the jokes she made at the expense of an ethnnic minority in Turkey -- not once, but several times during the tour.

Made me realize anew how much I do NOT like ship tours....

Also have had a so-so private guide in Kusadasi for Ephesus. He told us some pretty tall tales that I already knew were not true. However, it wasn't a terrible tour overall.

definitions of a bad guide can be subjective-we had issues with a guide which others raved about

we booked with PK travel for both Ephesus and Istanbul

Taner, our guide for Ephesus was fantastic!

next day we had Lale for Istanbul

we found her patronising, condescending and worst of all had not read the email communication detailing our wishes for the day

she tried to direct us to her "friends" market stalls and restaurants.Whilst we went along with the rug factory visit once one couple in our party showed an interest in a rug she completely ignored the rest of the party who were visibly bored-she did the same in the grand bazaar when one member wanted to buy but the rest of us were clearly uncomfortable

in the end I had to be sharp with her when it became obvious she had her own agenda for the day which was not in line with the majority of the group

guess what am trying to say is if you make your wishes clear at the beginning of the day you should be able to avert a "bad" guide

guess what am trying to say is if you make your wishes clear at the beginning of the day you should be able to avert a "bad" guide

Good advice. Whenever I arrange a private tour, the first thing I do after meeting the guide at the port exit is review the itinerary I reserved. That way there are no misunderstandings, such as "no shopping". It also is helpful because often what the guide understands from the company is not the same is what you arranged. On our recent visit to Ephesus, our guide thought there would be many more than the six in our group and also had been told a much longer tour time, price and itinerary.

I always bring a printout of the email of my final arrangements with the tour company with me; this often has saved me a lot of debate and confusion.

Edited by CintiPam

Been to Turkey twice and had excellent private tour guides. All were in in thier late twenties, thirties and were college graduates, official Turkish guides.

I used, Ekol, Ephesus Now, a local uide in Kusadasi and one local guide through our TA in Istanbul.

I got Christmas cards from two of them! I still email one of them for the lasted updates about the political happenings in Turkey.

I love Turkey.