Good time to Board

canuckinindia

Have a 5pm departure from Barcelona on the Equinox and trying to figure out a good time to board, balancing the desire for a relaxing and non stressful embarkation with the desire to use as much of the morning (arriving the day before so will be in a hotel) to also sightsee in Barcelona.

My cruise ends back and overnights in Barcelona so we do get time to explore the city on the back end as well.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

We were able to do a loop on the hoho bus before going to the ship and they didn't start running until 9.30am so it was after 1.30 when we got there but make sure you check the last boarding time as it can be upto 90 minutes before departure on embarkation day

I always think it best to follow the times given to you in your pre-departure info.

I know we all want to get on the ship as early as possible, but surely that desire comes after wanting a smooth boarding experience, without too much over crowding?

I assume that Celebrity issue these for all cruises, but if not then do as you please!

We were in the same situation as you: we arrived one day prior to stay in hotel. We boarded the cruise by 2pm

Day 1: flight landed, made it to hotel by noon. Checked in, changed clothes, freshen up etc. Then we set out to sight see walking tour on our on. We casually walked down Las Ramblas; making our way to the Christopher Columbus statue. Got dinner, went back to hotel.

Day 2 (day we board cruise): Woke up early, bought tickets for the hop on/hop off bus. Our plan was to ride the bus in one whole circuit, only getting off once or twice. We got off in one of the main areas to see some of the Gaudi buildings. We really enjoyed the ho/ho bus, a nice relaxing way to see the whole city in one setting.

After the ho/ho, we ended back at the hotel where we picked it up. Had a small lunch, changed for cruise. Hotel held our luggage for us. Then grabbed a taxi to the port. Our goal was to be ON the ship by 2, and we were right at our goal.

If you want more details and pictures, you can read my review. I go into our firs 2 days in great detail:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095[/url]

p.s.
When we got to the port around 1:30 (I would guess) there was no one there! Literally, no other cruise passengers. I guess everyone came much earlier. We walked right up the counter and were on the ship in no time. Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

The rooms are usually ready 1.15-1.30pm
For me that would be an ideal time if you want to sightsee in the morning.
Also, no need to waste time in Barcelona buying lunch, as you can have it on the ship.

However if you happened to be sailing from Southampton this summer, you will be given a specific time, as there are road works in the port area.

Have to agree with above posters. There is not reason to hurry and get on before !:00 as the staterooms will not be ready. You can have a free lunch on board the ship if you get there earlier, but will have to lug around your carry ons. We like to be able to sightsee, get to the ship around 1:30, leave our bags in the stateroom and then enjoy some lunch. Barcelona is a greta City with a lot to see. Do enjoy your cruise

I think it really depends on how you want to play your day. We usually like to be on board early but I can understand your desire to spend the morning in Barcelona. The cruise docs usually say you must be checked in and on board 90 minutes before sailing, so that would be 3:30 for a 5:00PM sailing. Personally I'd want to plan on being at the pier no later than 2PM for a time like that just so I wouldn't feel too much time pressure.

[quote name='upwarduk']...Also, no need to waste time in Barcelona buying lunch, as you can have it on the ship...[/quote]

I guess everyone has their own preferences. Once we'd boarded early (after 3 nights in Barcelona) and headed to the buffet for lunch when we decided to get off the ship and grab a cab to a Tapas restaurant we'd discovered the day before for one last lunch in Barcelona. It was wonderful. Edited by Lsimon

We have been to Barcelona more then a dozen times and on one occasion decided to board our cruise ship late in the afternoon. We normally get on ships around noon so we can enjoy lunch and relax. But this one time we had lunch plans in town and took our time going over the port. Since it is only a short taxi ride from the Gothic Quarter (where we were) to the ship we had no concern about missing the ship. So, we got over to terminal building about 3:15 (for a 5pm departure) and it was wonderful. The check-in counters were totally empty (except for a few employees) and we just dropped our luggage, walked up to the counter, were quickly checked-in, and then we walked right through security (no line) and onto the ship. The only down side for some folks would be that we missed having lunch on the ship (but we had a great lunch in town).

Hank

Thanks everyone for the feedback

consensus seems that 2pm works perfectly all around, effortless boarding, room's are ready and get to explore the city.

Seems with that timing we could split it and have lunch on the boat or in the city depending on how we are feeling.

Have to love a no compromise solution :)