Taxis in Cobn, Dublin, and Edinburgh for 5 passengers

Hi

Do you know if they have taxis that can fit 5 passengers in Cobn, Dublin, and Edinburgh (queensferry) ports. If so, could you pass on any contact info.

Thanks

The standard black cabs which operate in Edinburgh have space for 5 passengers. There are usually cabs at the port but if you want to pre-book to be sure it's there waiting for you, try these companies which have a huge amount of taxis:

http://www.citycabs.co.uk/

http://taxis-edinburgh.co.uk/

Remember to allow enough time to get ashore as South Queensferry is a tender port.

• 1 year later...
In Dublin and Cobh you will have to specify you need a large taxi.

In Dublin, if it's just to take you into the city, there is a bus near where your ship gets in.

We are a family group of seven: can you recommend reliable taxi company to email? I know we will do only a short travel from dock (to Trinity or Archeology Museum) and apparently our visit begins after noon! Also, wonder if on a Friday afternoon 1500-1700 do pubs between city center and dock offer traditional live music with your beer?

This is my second visit in five years, but never to Dublin on a visit that starts Friday afternoon! Much thanks,

DJ:)

Temple Bar pubs will have music in the afternoons. Are any of your party very young? The pubs might have an issue with children.

For example, Oliver St. John Gogarty's ;

http://www.gogartys.ie/music/

I'm sure there are others, but that place I know for sure has music. It's close to Trinity.

http://www.gogartys.ie/location/

Dublin's not that big.

It's very much aimed at a tourist market. The real sessions would not start until night time in places like the Cobblestone in Smithfield.

I would expect there to be taxis waiting at the boat (are you sure the boat doesn't have its own shuttle?) but if you want a good company to book with, I have never had any issues with National Cabs.

http://www.nrc.ie/

Edited by newgrange
added info

• 3 weeks later...

Something that might be fun for a mixed group of ages is the Irish Dance Party held mid afternoon. I did this on last trip to Dublin.

Ages from 5-80...but can accommodate younger or older. Music and lyrics "safe" for the ears of young children. A variety of Irish music was played and sung. Several "sing along" options for the participants. Live music with a variety of instruments.

Dance was demonstrated and taught in a group circle. Eventually the less fit drop out...with lots of laughing and merriment. Skills not required...just a good attitude~ Great reviews on TA also.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186605-d1553319-Reviews-The_Irish_Dance_Party-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

Taxis are not cheap, though it does work out cheaper the more people you fit in. You can book a cab in Cobh, there are a couple of companies, you just let them know how many and what number. Also in Cobh there are usually a couple of Taxis out side the ship, the taxi will contact the taxi Base and request a bigger cab, but you run the risk of it already being booked.

In Cobh, where do you want to go?

Taxis are not cheap, though it does work out cheaper the more people you fit in. You can book a cab in Cobh, there are a couple of companies, you just let them know how many and what number. Also in Cobh there are usually a couple of Taxis out side the ship, the taxi will contact the taxi Base and request a bigger cab, but you run the risk of it already being booked.

In Cobh, where do you want to go?

Hello Kerry in Cork. Our specific port visit to SE Ireland (Thursday 21 July) was posted originally as Cobh, but Princess arrivals seem to be slowly moved to the Ferry port across the water, south (Ringaskiddy). I had noticed last year when we selected this date that a Celebrity cruise ship

was also scheduled in to Cobh on 21 July, arriving and departing this port at the same time! Is it possible that Cobh only accomodates one large cruise ship? Looking at previous Cruise Critic forums, apparently this is not a new issue at all?

The best question for you to answer to this general audience is what people should do now that they know they will wake up 21 July at Ringaskiddy. It seems that the only people who will be comfortable concerning their day are those who have selected either a cruise ship excursion, developed their own private tour and have a van waiting for them, or are signed up with purchase per seat of a private day's tour? Do you think that taxis will be at this port? Are you aware of resources that passengers can contact now to arrange transportation or even more?

Cobh can handle two medium ships, but any bigger then only one. There is nothing in Ringaskiddy, a small shop and a pub. Definitely better to pre-book a taxi. The nearest taxi company is in Carrigaline, you would be better booking them or a private tour company. Sorry I've never taken a private tour in Cork. But you can hire a small mini-bus (holds about 15) if you fill all the seats , it works out cheaper per person & they will take you where you want .

Also that side of the city you are closer to Kinsale & Crosshaven but further away from Blarney & Middleton. About the same to the city.

Cobh can handle two medium ships, but any bigger then only one. There is nothing in Ringaskiddy, a small shop and a pub.

We are scheduled to dock in Cobh on 3rd June on Fred Olsen's Boudicca (about 28,000 ton). Caribbean Princess (just over 100,000 ton) is also scheduled to be there. Both companies seem convinced that is where they are docking, but the Port of Cork website gives Cobh for Princess and Ringaskiddy for us. Is there any chance we may dock in Cobh with the Princess ship, or is it much more likely that Fred have got it wrong?

If we do end up in Ringaskiddy, do you have any idea what a taxi would cost to Cork? It is very difficult to book a taxi as we are not sure where we will dock, but we may be able to ring for one when we arrive if the situation is not clarified before then.

s

We are scheduled to dock in Cobh on 3rd June on Fred Olsen's Boudicca (about 28,000 ton). Caribbean Princess (just over 100,000 ton) is also scheduled to be there. Both companies seem convinced that is where they are docking, but the Port of Cork website gives Cobh for Princess and Ringaskiddy for us. Is there any chance we may dock in Cobh with the Princess ship, or is it much more likely that Fred have got it wrong?

If we do end up in Ringaskiddy, do you have any idea what a taxi would cost to Cork? It is very difficult to book a taxi as we are not sure where we will dock, but we may be able to ring for one when we arrive if the situation is not clarified before then.

Really good to hear that other cruise lines are just as stubborn, and frequently wrong. Have had many experiences where I would find out something and then have it confirmed by the port, while the cruiseline stuck with what they had written months before (both Princess ans Celebrity). This July we are also in the Cobh/Ringaskiddy situation. The port of Cork, that controls where all ships dock, doesn't care what Princess (California) says about the situation. We are at Ringaskiddy, the Celebrity ship is at Cobh. (Look at Google map, this change of location can be useful depending on where you want to go.) We are leasing a van and driver for the day from Butlers, and they now know where to come to get us.

I sent a message to Port of Cork a couple of hours ago - if they reply I will post here, but must admit I am of the opinion it is Fred who are wrong. They changed the itinerary of the cruise soon after it was released and a change of day may well have meant a change of dock.

I have had a reply from the Port of Cork. Yes, it is Fred Olsen who are wrong and it did change when they changed the itinerary. It seems Caribbean Princess was already booked for 3rd. June and the port book Cobh on a first come first served basis.

The itinerary changed before we booked last May and Fred are only just saying now that they are awaiting confirmation of the docking location for 3rd June!

The good point is that the port have told me there will be shuttle buses.

Edited by tring