Seeing Dolphins from Ship

I read somewhere that Royal uses their leftover food to feed the dolphins, and sometimes you are able to see the dolphins jumping for the food when they throw it "overboard"? :confused:

Anyone know any details about this.....I think it would be fabulous to see some dolphins jumping! I spent a looootttt of time on the balcony on our last cruise hoping to see something, ANYTHING out there jumping in the water, but nada! :D

RCI is environmentally proactive and very protective of the oceans and will not through anything overboard. I doubt that they do as you have heard and we have never seen that in our cruising experience.

However we have seen dolphin near the ship. One time in particular there were several as we were maneuvering to pull into port in Falmouth, Jamaica, off the side near the front of the ship. We also frequently see flying fish off the side of the ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

RCI is environmentally proactive and very protective of the oceans and will not through anything overboard. I doubt that they do as you have heard and we have never seen that in our cruising experience.

However we have seen dolphin near the ship. One time in particular there were several as we were maneuvering to pull into port in Falmouth, Jamaica, off the side near the front of the ship. We also frequently see flying fish off the side of the ship.

They don't throw food overboard, but they do release some food into the ocean for the fish. We were told about this during the Captain's Corner on one cruise.

Gwen :)

They don't throw food overboard, but they do release some food into the ocean for the fish. We were told about this during the Captain's Corner on one cruise.

Throwing it overboard as the OP mentioned was more what I was responding to. Thanks for the update.

I read somewhere that Royal uses their leftover food to feed the dolphins, and sometimes you are able to see the dolphins jumping for the food when they throw it "overboard"? :confused:

Anyone know any details about this.....I think it would be fabulous to see some dolphins jumping! I spent a looootttt of time on the balcony on our last cruise hoping to see something, ANYTHING out there jumping in the water, but nada! :D

seeing dolphins? yes.

there is NO WAY that Royal or ANY crusieline 'feeds' them or any other sea life. by tossing stuff overboard.

that violates enough international conservation laws that I'd be ashmaed to even admit that I wanted to do so in order to see one.

Throwing it overboard as the OP mentioned was more what I was responding to. Thanks for the update.

You're welcome. Of course that is not saying that someone might not throw food overboard. At least it isn't the cruise line.

I guess long ago maybe they did. I remember on our first cruise on Carnival in 1991, they were hitting golf balls off the back of the ship. I heard that if a cruise line still does this, the golf balls dissolve into food for the fish. They also used to shoot clay pigeons off the back of the ship.

My how things have changed.

You're welcome. Of course that is not saying that someone might not throw food overboard. At least it isn't the cruise line.

I guess long ago maybe they did. I remember on our first cruise on Carnival in 1991, they were hitting golf balls off the back of the ship. I heard that if a cruise line still does this, the golf balls dissolve into food for the fish. They also used to shoot clay pigeons off the back of the ship.

My how things have changed.

...they did that on Sovereign of the Seas in 1992 - and they were of a "water friendly" material. Yes things have changed (but we of course haven't). :D

seeing dolphins? yes.

there is NO WAY that Royal or ANY crusieline 'feeds' them or any other sea life. by tossing stuff overboard.

that violates enough international conservation laws that I'd be ashmaed to even admit that I wanted to do so in order to see one.

It's true they don't toss it overboard, but they do release food into the ocean.

When leaving the ports in Florida, the propulsion disorients the baitfish in the water and the dolphin have a feeding frenzy. I see this daily at Port Canaveral on the port side of the RCL ships and the starboard side of the Disney ships as they leave their berths and approach the turn basin. It's a wonderful sight. Usually see between 6 and 8 at least.

We've never seen dolphins but, on our last cruise on Allure, I was surprised to see a huge school of sharks swimming at the surface and alongside the ship (seas were exceptionally calm).

I doubt Royal Caribbean would condone people throwing anything overboard, no matter the reason.

We've never seen dolphins but, on our last cruise on Allure, I was surprised to see a huge school of sharks swimming at the surface and alongside the ship (seas were exceptionally calm).

I doubt Royal Caribbean would condone people throwing anything overboard, no matter the reason.

That basically is why I posted my comment regarding throwing food overboard. Not even remotely condoned. RCI has a very serious and formal environmental commitment and strictly prohibits anything being thrown overboard and informs and enforces this with its passengers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Dolphins tend to show themselves in shallow water....unless you are in port or coming into port, you are unlikely to see much other than flying fish.....they are sort of cool.

Take a vacation to Va. Beach. Dolphins swim about 30 yards offshore all day....morning and evening, especially. I guess because it's so close to the Chesapeake Bay, and the food sources are great there.

You are unlikely to see dolphins from the ship.

It's true they don't toss it overboard, but they do release food into the ocean.

It is not food per se especially for dolphins. It is biodegradable food waste from the galleys that happens to be safe for the sealife to ingest. No cruise line feeds any sea life deliberately.and you wouldn't be so keen on wanting it if you ever saw a whale get run over by a ship.

It is not a pretty sight(and has one hell of a hefty fine attached)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

Dolphins tend to show themselves in shallow water....unless you are in port or coming into port, you are unlikely to see much other than flying fish.....they are sort of cool.

Take a vacation to Va. Beach. Dolphins swim about 30 yards offshore all day....morning and evening, especially. I guess because it's so close to the Chesapeake Bay, and the food sources are great there.

You are unlikely to see dolphins from the ship.

Dam Neck beach is home to a Pod that feeds nightly. I think they chose it because it is a closed beach(only open to the military and there is extensive training from the guys st Little Creek) and they are rarely hassled by beach goers who want yo 'swim with the dolphins '

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

On a number of cruises we have seen large schools of dolphins swim up to the ship and then in the wake before swimming off. I would say at least 20+. We spend a lot of time on deck looking out. There is never an announcement so if you are not there on deck at the time then you miss out. We have also seen whales breaching beside the ship and sea turtles out of our port hole.

Straits of Gibraltar is normally a good place to see them best to go on the heli deck and look over, also going in to San Juan. Don't most ships now use food Disposal units which discharge into the sea?

Once on an Enchantment cruise, we were standing on our balcony when a lone dolphin leaped out of the water right in front of us, pacing the ship in the open ocean.

It was a magical moment! No pic, but a life long memory. ;)

One of my favorite cruise memories involves a dolphin sighting. On our Explorer cruise last August, my husband and I were taking a stroll along the top deck above the pool just before sunset. It was very quiet, no other passengers in the immediate vicinity. There was, however, two maintenance crew members walking along the rail. As we walked closer to the rail, two dolphins leaped out of the water against the sinking sun. It was pretty cool for us to see, but what made it even more special was the reaction of the two crew members. They spoke excitedly to one another and then turned to us and said simply, "Dolphins! Beautiful." I always think about those two men whenever I find myself too busy or distracted to notice the beauty that surrounds me in my daily life.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app