Mediterranean weather vs price

thethreeofus

We are looking at booking a cruise in the Mediterranean for next year. I've noticed that April-May and Sept-Nov prices are lower than mid-summer. However looking at weather reports, there appear to be much higher chance of rain in the "off season". Anyone who has taken a cruise during the Sept-Nov - was it worth the price drop for the chance of bad weather? When did you go and just how much rain and bad weather did you experience. I also remember reading that the summer months can be bad due to the heat. Please help direct me. We are specifically interested in the Barcelona to Venice or Venice to Barcelona cruise.

We were in the Med last Oct. and will be again this coming Oct. The weather was mixed. There were a few days of rain, but nothing that stopped us from touring, and the days weren't consecutive. Springtime can also be the same. The nice thing about Fall weather, is the mild weather days. Nothing extreme.

I'd rather RISK rain than deal with FOR SURE heat, esp. if you plan to do quite a bit of sightseeing. I often do land trips in May and cruises in Sept. / Oct. - often even in late Sept. early Oct. the weather is definately warm. We were in Athens one year on Nov. 1 and it was a lovely day, as opposed to an earlier trip when we were there mid-May and IMO it was too hot to walk around. I think many of the stops on a Med. cruise (Rome? Athens?)would not be pleasant for intense sightseeing in the summer. If you are mostly wanting water time (Greek isles?) then maybe summer. By the way, I am from Atlanta - I know summer heat - I just don't deal well with it.

We did the Celebrity Constellation 25 September 2013, 12 day cruise out of Istanbul that went to the Aegean and Black Sea.

While in the Aegean, temps were in the high 70s or 80s and dry, but once in the Black Sea we ran into a storm from the North that brought unusually cold weather (50s and 60s) with some rain.

The Black Sea storm was unusual for that time of the year, and it diminished our enjoyment of Ukraine, but we still enjoyed the cruise.

The Mediterranean has generally a dryer climate than the Caribbean. We have done four Med cruises and had very little rain to deal with. Those cruises were in March, May, July and September.

We did Rome to Venice with Amalfi Greece & Dubrovnik in late Oct last year -- no rain but some fog in Venice perfect weather 70s mostly little cooler in Venice at the end

I'd do it again that time of year in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi. The 'Med' is a pretty large area so temperatures and weather conditions can vary. In general though, July and August will be very hot - too hot sometimes if you are not used to sunshine. Spring and Autumn are cooler, and generally quieter. Prices in July and August can be inflated due to the fact that many UK travellers are restricted to taking their holidays then.

I would say June and September are two of of the best months to go; pack light but take a light waterproof and an umbrella just in case (doubles up as a sunshade!) :)

We have cruised the Mediterranean in September as well as been on about half a dozen land trips to Italy during that period of time. In general, the weather in September is still quite warm during the day. For example, I am comfortable in capris/skirt and short sleeves during the day with some type of light sweater in the evening.

Of course early September is warmer than mid-October. My experience has also been that the second half of October is when things get more unpredictable. After October 15th, I have seem much cooler days and some crazy rain storms as well.

Also remember days get shorter the later you go into fall as well. I would try to sail as early in that timeframe as your can.

We have only cruised the med in late fall and have enjoyed it tremendously. I'm not sure if we like the nice weather (not hot) or the smaller crowds. Have run into some places where some of the high season tourist places are shut down...but I would gladly have that than the huge crowds.

I have read some reviews about some of these ports with crowds and heat. Not my cup of tea.

Enjoy your cruise whenever you go!

We consider July and August to be the absolute worst time to take a Med cruise.

Our strong preference-for both cruises and land travel in the Med in mid May-mid June, mid Sept-Oct. On our last land trip to the Turkish Med coast we had temperatures in the high eighties during the third week of October. We have also had a little rain at that time as well.

We cruised the latter half of October in Turkey and Greece last year. Other than a bit of rain in Istanbul, we had sun and warm temps. It could get chilly at night when sailing (low 60's) but days were warm enough that we were in shorts or capris and short sleeve tees. Even went to the beach one day! Crowds were more manageable as well

I have done this cruise 4 times since 2008 in October/November. The weather was wonderful most of the time. Did have rain in Dubrovnik and Kotor both times I was there. I would do it again. Perfect touring weather

Gail

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've been on the Mediterranean in May, June, July, October and November and I have to say the shoulder seasons are the best! The mornings may start out cooler but by lunch you're taking your jacket off and enjoying the sun. Without the massive crowds. ;)

We did love our September and May cruises! Not so many people to deal with each port. However, the way the weather is nowadays, who knows what you are going to get. Even the weather people have no clue until after the fact! Just go and enjoy and be prepared for some rain or coolness...:) the experiences are what makes life interesting and memorable!

We have sailed the Med in the last week of April, early May, and June. I much prefer the earlier time frame. Springtime in Europe is just beautiful, very green and flowers everywhere, a real sense of excitement in the air. By June, the weather was hotter, airfare cost more, and everything was more crowded. If you are going to sightsee, absolutely look for the shoulder season. As mentioned above, if you are going for the beach, stick with summer. Touring Europe is mostly about walking around, give me the cooler weather any day.

We cruised on Reflection in Nov 2012 from Venice to Barcelona. Had temps in 50s to low 70s and no rain to speak of. It was very comfortable. Would do it again in November.

Sent from my AT100 using Forums mobile app

Cruises are cheaper because summer is the height of the tourist season. Kids are out of school from mid-June to late August. April- May will be more rainy than September and October. If you look at airfares for September and October they don't really go down much in price. This time of year is still very popular with tourists. You'll usually get the cheapest prices in airfare in April and May.

I have been to Italy in late March-early April and it was dry

I've been to Europe in Mid- May and it was beautiful. The season is just starting and there is a lot of energy

July and August in the Med is hot and not the most desirable time to sightsee

September and October- the days are getting shorter, the season is coming to an end and the vibe in Europe is less frantic.

As someone said earlier, the Med is large and covers a number of countries. Mid summer can be extremely hot and not very comfortable for sightseeing. Also when you dock in some places like Venice, if you go during the height of summer there are too many tourists (mostly off cruise ships!!!). Whilst the weather at the eastern and western ends can be more settled and predictable it's probably best to go between May and early July or September to late October