Yet another PVSA Question

Working 2 Cruise

I'm looking at Alaska in September 2015. I'm hoping to be able to do the 9/12 cruise, then one day Seattle to Vancouver on 9/19 and, of course, Vancouver to Los Angeles on 9/20. Would this trip be considered Seattle to Los Angeles?

If not, I suppose I can take the bus to Vancouver from Seattle... Would Princess offer such a transfer/option?

Thank you!

I'm looking at Alaska in September 2015. I'm hoping to be able to do the 9/12 cruise, then one day Seattle to Vancouver on 9/19 and, of course, Vancouver to Los Angeles on 9/20. Would this trip be considered Seattle to Los Angeles?...

My understanding is yes. I wanted to do a Seattle/Vancouver/LA on the Golden, but was told it needed 24 hours between voyages on the same ship. In other words, no back-to-back. But, for example, if the Ruby had done the Seattle to Vancouver part, and I switched to the Golden for the Vancouver to LA segment, then it would be okay. Ridiculous? Yes, but that is the law...

I don't know about the transfer question. I'm sure someone will know here, or you can always call Princess. But sometimes CC is a better source ;).

Edited by Ryndam2002

I'm looking at Alaska in September 2015. I'm hoping to be able to do the 9/12 cruise, then one day Seattle to Vancouver on 9/19 and, of course, Vancouver to Los Angeles on 9/20. Would this trip be considered Seattle to Los Angeles?

If not, I suppose I can take the bus to Vancouver from Seattle... Would Princess offer such a transfer/option?

Thank you!

If I understand correctly you wish to book the Crown Princess:

9/12/15 RT Seattle,

9/19/15 Seattle to Vancouver

9/20/15 Vancouver to L.A.

As I understand the Law you can not sail from Seattle to L.A. without stopping in at least one "Far" port (South America or The ABC Islands are the closest "Far" ports). Princess will not allow you to book the 9/19 & 9/20 trips as b2b. To make this journey you would either have to change ships in Vancouver or stay overnight. Maybe you can find another cruise line that is sailing from Vancouver on the date you wish.

9/12/15 RT Seattle,

As I understand the Law you can not sail from Seattle to L.A. without stopping in at least one "Far" port (South America or The ABC Islands are the closest "Far" ports). Princess will not allow you to book the 9/19 & 9/20 trips as b2b. To make this journey you would either have to change ships in Vancouver or stay overnight. Maybe you can find another cruise line that is sailing from Vancouver on the date you wish.

You are part right. You can book the RT Seattle plus the Seattle to Vancouver as that would actually be a Seattle to Vancouver cruise. Where you get into trouble is adding the Vancouver to LA.

The FAR distant port only comes into play when the Embarkation and Debarkation ports are two different US ports. The last time I looked the one day Seattle to Vancouver cruise is Vancouver Canada and not Vancouver, WA. And for those inquiring minds there is a port of Vancouver, WA.

9/12/15 RT Seattle,

That is another good option, thank you!

Thank you!

Princess does offer a bus transfer from Seattle to Vancouver, but from what I understand, they don't offer it for the Coastals, only for the 7-day voyages.

Princess does offer a bus transfer from Seattle to Vancouver, but from what I understand, they don't offer it for the Coastals, only for the 7-day voyages.

I would have the 7 day cruise to Alaska... Does this mean that, in addition to that cruise, I would have to do another 7 day to LA?

I would have the 7 day cruise to Alaska... Does this mean that, in addition to that cruise, I would have to do another 7 day to LA?

Starting in Vancouver?

If so, you can stay on the same ship to any USA port it has a segment that ends.

Starting at Anchorage?

Only USA port you could end the cruise in is Anchorage if you are only traveling on the Pacific side of the country.

As already covered above you could do any two of the three - assuming you skip the 1-day in-between, you can go by Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver (scenic journey as the train hugs the coast much longer than I-5 does). The morning train arrives just before noon - enough time to board a cruise - or you could travel the previous evening (arrive just before midnight) and overnight in Vancouver. Book enough in advance on a nonrefundable fare and you can pay as little as $19 per person - so it's also the cheapest way unless you score one of the near-mythical 'Bolt for a Buck' bus tickets.

NB: all but these two departures on Amtrak are buses, not trains - for which they make you pay a lot more than Greyhound/Bolt/Quickshuttle fares.

Another option would be to do the 12 Sep Star 1-way Southbound, arriving Vancouver on Sep 19th. Overnight in Vancouver, board Crown on 20th, off to LA with no PVSA violations involved.