Pantheon route help - easiest option

cruising3tlr

Hi there,

I am traveling with my 2 young daughters and the 12 year old (older daughter) has asked that the one place we see is the Pantheon. We will be in Rome for one day and HAL offers 2 options which I think are both poor and one will involve a 2 mile walk from where they drop us off. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts. We leave in a week and this is ONE OF my final details to figure out. :)

Traveling alone with 2 children is difficult and I tend to pay more and book through the cruise line, but in this case I am really repelled by the choices.

Is there an easy public transportation option from the cruise port of Civitavecchia?

Thanks so much!

The least expensive way to make the trip is via train with the purchase of a BIRG ticket. The latest info I have is they cost €12,00 each...could be a bit more by now. With a BIRG you get round trip train travel between Civitavecchia and Rome along with bus and metro transportation while you're there. The ticket is good for one day and can be purchased at a newsstand in Civitavecchia.

We've visited Rome many times and have seen most of the sites, but we always visit the Pantheon. It's one of my favorite sites anywhere.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

I assume you are doing a day trip during port of call, you can either walk from the dock out to the terminal gate then train station, but they provide free shuttle from the dock to the terminal gate and you walk to the train station from there. You can then take the train to Rome, most likely you want to get off at San Pietro then jump on the Metro to Spagna or Barberini and walk to Trevi, Pantheon is in the same area. Not much to see in Spanish Steps but merely a photo op, then you can walk or Metro one stop to Barberini for Trevi and Pantheon. I suggest you bring some pennies to cheat when you toss the coins into Trevi, or maybe not, coins collected are for maintaining the fountain. If you get the BERG ticket as someone suggested, that ticket is good for all train and Metro all day in Rome, so it is a good deal. Or if you don't mind spending a few more Euros, you can take the express train and pay for Metro, I think express train costs 16.50 Euros per person, pricey but very quick. I suggest you do your research and book tickets ahead of time and keep track to make sure there is no strike when it is near your travel day.

If you are serious about taking the train, just google for more information or wait for someone to reply. I'm sure you would have a wonderful time.

I assume you are doing a day trip during port of call, you can either walk from the dock out to the terminal gate then train station, but they provide free shuttle from the dock to the terminal gate and you walk to the train station from there. You can then take the train to Rome, most likely you want to get off at San Pietro then jump on the Metro to Spagna or Barberini and walk to Trevi, Pantheon is in the same area. Not much to see in Spanish Steps but merely a photo op, then you can walk or Metro one stop to Barberini for Trevi and Pantheon. I suggest you bring some pennies to cheat when you toss the coins into Trevi, or maybe not, coins collected are for maintaining the fountain. If you get the BERG ticket as someone suggested, that ticket is good for all train and Metro all day in Rome, so it is a good deal. Or if you don't mind spending a few more Euros, you can take the express train and pay for Metro, I think express train costs 16.50 Euros per person, pricey but very quick. I suggest you do your research and book tickets ahead of time and keep track to make sure there is no strike when it is near your travel day.

If you are serious about taking the train, just google for more information or wait for someone to reply. I'm sure you would have a wonderful time.

Don't forget, Trevi Fountain is under reno. No water and a big fence. :(

Don't forget, Trevi Fountain is under reno. No water and a big fence. :(

I remember how disappointed we were one year we were there and they had a TV event and closed off the whole fountain, so we doubled the coins last year when we were there. But I heard even for the work underway now, they reserved a small pool of water or something so people can still toss coins and walk up to the mostly dry fountain. Also, if I remember correctly, Piazza Navona is not that far away, Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi is impressive as well, especially if you are a fan of Angels and Demons.

Why not take the trouble to do a little research on your own? There are lots of maps on the internet. Or check out a guide book at the library or on line.

IF you like to walk, you could get off the train at S. Pietro, go to St. Peters, then stroll by Catello Angelo, cross the bridge to Piazza Navona, walk over to P. di Fioria, then head to the Pantheon (very close by), after that head to the Spanish Steps/Trevi. IF you still have time, take a cab to the Colosseum.

Lot's in between if you do not want to see it or walk it but ONLY you know what interests you.

Edited by iancal

Thank you so much for all of your help. I have read too many books I think, because the more I read, the more I want to see and I need to also be accountable for the little ones at the same time. How do you feel about safety on the train and the reliability?

Thanks again!

Tiffany

We have been all over Italy by train. Never an issue and we have found them to be very reliable. Just have to watch your luggage and your purse.

You could always get off at S. Pietro, then get on the number 64 bus (just outside the train station) which will drop you a few blocks from the Pantheon. Or you could take it just down the hill, get off before it turns to go under the tunnel, then cross the street via the pedestrian underpass and you will find yourself at St. Peters! This is assuming you are taking the train in from the port. Or simply take a cab..but make sure that the meter is on and that it is turned to fare code 1 if you are there on a weekday.

Edited by iancal

Wow, not even worth going right now.

I wonder how many restaurants have shut down ? The tourist shops? Gelato?

Trevi area is one of my least fav locations in Rome.

We seem to be drawn to the spanish steps. And I for some reason am hypnotically drawn to the colesieum

Wonder if I was a patrician or plebeian in my former life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums