What kind of binder?

Lorey2007

Agree. The only piece of paper anyone should ever need now with the smartphone era and cloud storage..... Passport and Drivers Liscense/ID.

That's only good as long as you have internet access though. I don't want to pay for internet on the ship just to show me my dining reservations. I don't want to bring my cell phone (one more thing to keep up with) on an excursion just to show a confirmation number.

I dont even use a paper boarding pass on planes anymore....smartphone boarding pass.....

I do that when I'm flying solo. But there's no way to do multiple boarding passes (when you're traveling with family) on your phone.

I think it's fine saying the only piece of paper YOU need is your passport. Saying that it's the only piece of paper ANYONE needs is not correct IMO.

Accessing all that data in a foreign country costs a pretty penny. I do not have an international plan for my phone. I take 2-3 cruises a year, so getting such a plan is not cost effective. Yes, I could do that--but, my notebook is free. YMMV

I love technology--but, would not consider taking a trip without a hard copy of a few important items [insurance policy numbers, etc]. . . . and I can access it much faster.

It all comes down to comfort level. :)

Yes you are 100% correct about comfort level. If someone wants to carry everything in folders more power to them. If I want to use my phone also no problem.

Just FYI once you save your documents you do not an International Plan so there is no cost involved. Also I can access all my Cruise Files in about 4 seconds. So for me using my phone is much faster then digging through a notebook.

Once again it comes down to what you are comfortable with.

I use an accordion folder. I got it at the $1 spot in Target, and it's lasted for years!

I use the same one..I was trying to figure a way to explain the material..flexible but rigid plastic? Quite sturdy, whatever it is.

Anyway, it is perfect for this use. I label the dividers as others do, toss what I don't need any more as the trip goes on, and have room for any detritus I may want to bring back (local maps, daily papers, etc,).

I have a lightweight folder with many clear plastic sleeves as pages. I arrange all my documents in the order in which they will be needed and just slip them in..... easy to just slide them out if needed.

That's exactly what I do!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's What I do,

TRIPIT is the best Travel app that I have used.

It keeps all the confirmation , phone numbers and other travel details by Trip and it is free and also it does not use any DATA. That means you can easily access the information when you are on the ship.

Agree. The only piece of paper anyone should ever need now with the smartphone era and cloud storage..... Passport and Drivers Liscense/ID.

Your opionion, and true for the most part. But if I have to deal with a hotel clerk, car rental company, etc with a question on a reservation I want to be able to hand them a paper copy of the reservation. Don't want to rely on cell phone access etc, and a good old paper copy is still best if there is a dispute.

We're as tech savvy as anyone at home and work, but when we travel part of a cruise vacation (for us) is turning the phones and devices OFF for the week.

I will admit having all the paperwork can be tedious but I don't have the iPhones and such so not tech savvy there except my Cell Phone. For me it is easier to pull out a printed document from the folder like a confirmation for Hotel, airlines, tours. Our daughter kept all the tour schedules on her World Phone but with her business it is the only way she travels and keeps her shedules.

Your opionion, and true for the most part. But if I have to deal with a hotel clerk, car rental company, etc with a question on a reservation I want to be able to hand them a paper copy of the reservation. Don't want to rely on cell phone access etc, and a good old paper copy is still best if there is a dispute.

We're as tech savvy as anyone at home and work, but when we travel part of a cruise vacation (for us) is turning the phones and devices OFF for the week.

In that case Tripit would be of no use whatsoever. I assume that in order to save weight you dont even take any electrical devices with you on a cruise vacation.

Not much point in turning them OFF and taking dead weight, is there? Especially in light of recent security actions imposed by the USA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My iPhone

So you don't take any cruise docs with you to the port?

I find half of the fun is in the planning and I really enjoy it, but I realize not everyone shares my level of enthusiasm.

So you don't take any cruise docs with you to the port?

I find half of the fun is in the planning and I really enjoy it, but I realize not everyone shares my level of enthusiasm.

Yes I take my SetSail Pass because it needs to be signed. I agree that planning is half the fun. Why do you think that I don't plan or enjoy it just because I don't print out tons of stuff and put it in a binder anymore? I just find it easier to have everything organized on my phone. I have it in my pocket and only takes seconds to access.

Both of my hotel reservations are on my phone, I can check in my flight and have my boarding passes sent to my phone, all my cruise documents are on my phone. I don't really need much paper anymore. If I do have to print something I can email the document and have it printed or use my app to print on their computer.

If I lose my phone I can also access it on my iPad, my wife's phone or her kindle.

If someone leaves their binder at home or misplaces it they will be spending an awful amount of time trying to look up and print all their documents.

Just easier for me. I used to have binders loaded with all sorts of printed paper but I found this much more organized and easier for me.

I am pretty organized but I am having a problem will all this paperwork I have accumulated for our upcoming cruise. What kind of binder does everyone use and how do you go about organizing it all. I need help and need to start sorting through everything I have.

I usually use a 3 ring binder with sleeved dividers. Then I organize everything as I will need it - usually by day. I see you are heading to Alaska. I did that trip last year and everything was organized by area and then first item to last. For instance on our first "area" was Talkeetna & Denali, I had the Groupon confirmation for my son's flight instruction in Talkeetna, then the hotel confirmation for the hotel in "Glitter Gulch", White Water Rafting excursion confirmation then ATV excursion confirmation. Worked out great for us because every time my family had a question of "what's next", I could refer them to the "travel bible". It got to the point where they stopped asking and went there first!:)

Enjoy Alaska! It was my favorite vacation EVER! Just PHENOMENAL!

I used to use binders or folders all the time, but since the age of technology I just convert everything into a PDF file and put them in folders on my tablet or smartphone. Less paperwork to be carrying around and less weight as well. You will always have the files with you.

I am pretty organized but I am having a problem will all this paperwork I have accumulated for our upcoming cruise. What kind of binder does everyone use and how do you go about organizing it all. I need help and need to start sorting through everything I have.

Since even the smallest binder is thick, I use file folders, different colors for travel info, excursions.

I have clear plastic sleeves that help organise within folders.

Edited by NMLady

Everything I bring, be it for business or vacation, is digital. I see no need to print stuff out and waste paper, time and weight. The idea of bringing a binder on a vacation...no thanks. Something like TripIt is a huge resource for me.

Yes I take my SetSail Pass because it needs to be signed. I agree that planning is half the fun. Why do you think that I don't plan or enjoy it just because I don't print out tons of stuff and put it in a binder anymore? I just find it easier to have everything organized on my phone. I have it in my pocket and only takes seconds to access.

Both of my hotel reservations are on my phone, I can check in my flight and have my boarding passes sent to my phone, all my cruise documents are on my phone. I don't really need much paper anymore. If I do have to print something I can email the document and have it printed or use my app to print on their computer.

If I lose my phone I can also access it on my iPad, my wife's phone or her kindle.

If someone leaves their binder at home or misplaces it they will be spending an awful amount of time trying to look up and print all their documents.

Just easier for me. I used to have binders loaded with all sorts of printed paper but I found this much more organized and easier for me.

What app do you use on your phone to be able to print out documents?

I am with you. Turn everything into a PDF, throw it in iBooks or whatever eReader app you have. Don't need a connection to the internet to access the info. And for those that believe they have to use airplane mode or you will be in the poor house -you can access the docs in that mode.

If the hotel or whoever wants to see something "in writing" show them the doc on your smart phone, tablet or eReader. Most the front desk people at hotels are younger and will not blink an eye when you show them electronic documentation.

Technology can be your friend.