Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Smoking on Balconies

Poohsmommi

I am not sure if you are the second person or you are the same person who commented on Nicotine still being in e cigs but I will ask you this as I am curious. How is anyone who is smoking an ecig that does not contain tar affect your health? I am asking because I am truly curious as I have always thought that the tar, and other things are what is harmful to smokers and those around smoke and thought that the nicotine only affected the person smoking.

My mom is one of those who will walk over to me in a designated smoking area and sit down and wave her hand and cover her mouth (which drives me nuts but she's my mom so I just tell her I'll be over there to sit with her in a little bit) but in the car or in a hotel room she is not in the least bit bothered by my ecig mine is cinnamon and is vapor not like one of those that the end lights up it has a small button I push to get the vapor. I am just wondering why nicotine is brought up with ecigs??

As to the smoking ban on balconies well I don't like it but I"ll deal with it by not paying more for a balcony and just getting an inside cabin and save money.

Nicotine can impact second hand (non-smokers in the immediate vacinity) and for that matter even third hand (nicotine can be deposited on surfaces of a room, and then absorbed via skin contact to later occupants). A number of studies exist that show the third hand impact. The most interesting ones involve apartments that had been rented by a smoker, then cleaned and rented by non-smokers, even after the cleaning nicotine was still shown on the surfaces and the occupants showed elevated levels from blood tests.

The good news with e-cigs is on average the level of nicotine in the air is about 10% that of a normal cigarette.

The biggest issue with e-cigs is related to the fine particulates emitted. Tests show e-cigs yielding more than regular cigarettes. Fine particulates have, in general, been tied to increased health issues with heart disease and stroke.

Another are with e-cigs is that the primary component of the fluids is Propylene Glycol which, while generally considered to be safe by the FDA for food applications and is used as a solvent in some drugs, has not been tested or approved in applications where it is heated and then inhaled. Probably the most data with heated Propylene Glycol is in its use in theater fog where it has been shown to cause some lung issues.

e-cigs are considerably better then regular cigarettes, but are not impact free like the e-cig companies like to claim.

Nicotine's immediate effect on the body is similar to caffeine. Yes it is addictive, but you are not gonna get addicted to it from breathing in a minute amount of second hand vapor.

I don't believe that I have ever heard of caffeine ever being used as an insecticide in agriculture, which nicotine has certainly been used for. Nicotine is significantly more potent then caffeine.

The issue with second and third hand exposure to nicotine is not addiction. Nor is it an issue for exposure to healthy adults. The problem is with vulnerable populations, including children, pregnant women, and people with cardiovascular conditions.

I don't believe that I have ever heard of caffeine ever being used as an insecticide in agriculture, which nicotine has certainly been used for. Nicotine is significantly more potent then caffeine.

The issue with second and third hand exposure to nicotine is not addiction. Nor is it an issue for exposure to healthy adults. The problem is with vulnerable populations, including children, pregnant women, and people with cardiovascular conditions.

We are talking about the minute amount of it being blown out of an Ecig, not spraying tons of it as an insecticide or whatever.

We are talking about the minute amount of it being blown out of an Ecig, not spraying tons of it as an insecticide or whatever.

You made the claim that nicotine was the same as caffeine. While they might have some of the same impact on same people, they are clearly different chemicals with different potency with some different impacts. Thus the fact that one was used as an insecticide and one was not.

We are talking about 2nd hand and 3rd hand transfer. While on average it is only about 10% of that from a cigarette for a single smoker, you can still have an impact on vulnerable populations. Also the 10% is per user. So if you have a situation with multiple people using e-cigs the nicotine transfer goes up accordingly and the potential for negative impact on those vulnerable individuals.

I haven't smoked for 15 years. Smoking increases the chances of heart disease, stroke, and hypertension. It also leads to increased chances of getting Cancer of the lung, throat, mouth, esophagus, bladder and cervix. That all being true, I remember when smoking was allowed almost everywhere. It was pleasurable to enjoy a cigarette in a fine restaurant after a meal with your coffee. I can remember flying across the country looking out the window enjoying a cigarette. I still enjoy the smell of smoke and if I had even 1 cigarette, I would be smoking 2 packs a day within a week. Smokers are now undergoing persecution through outrageously high taxes, restrictions on where smoking is allowed, and social ostracism. The result we are seeing in terms of lower rates of smoking is improving and will improve public health. How come the non smokers of 20, 30 or 40 years ago did not object to all the smoking? Or maybe a better question is why are there now many people who complain of smelling wisps of smoke on the open ocean while traveling at better than 20 knots? The nose can detect the smell of smoke in parts per million. I believe many of the rabid anti-smokers have been conditioned to react with disgust to any slight aroma of tobacco. Anti-smoking education, and even propaganda, and changes in regulations and laws have made these people feel empowered to self-righteously persecute non-smokers. Seems like I remember our country was once more free.

Can't believe this thread is still going, but glad I checked back through the past few pages. Finally some real insight into no one caring about losing freedoms until they come for YOUR freedoms...Thank you for your post!

I also remember growing up in a smoke filled house and cars on cross country trips with my parents, so current thinking is that I should not be healthy or alive now collecting my social security.

WOW, you live in a place where they tell you what you can do on your own property!?

I think that was a selling point!! Lol

Oh and we have a waiting list too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I felt the same and I will say, the average age of a HAL cruiser is quite a bit higher than Carnival or NCL. But they still have beautiful ships, kid programs, sports on board, great good, and good entertainment. Fewer falling down drunk people as well but more scooters. Just a way you could enjoy what you like to do (at least for a little while longer).

Just wanted to present you another option. Yes, I love land vacations as well and take several a year. Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy! :)

Thanks for the info!

I just decided that I would try something else for 2015 and then decide if I want to cruise again in 2016. By then I should be used to using an e-cig as a substitute in situations where I can't smoke.

And yes, I know they too are **banned** but seriously, have you ever been around someone using one? There is no smell! I doubt that if I am having nicotine withdrawal at 6 in the morning anyone would even notice if I took one hit off an e-cig on my balcony at 20 knots! :p

For the record, the Cape Cod National Sea Shore is a national park - banning smoking there has nothing to do with liberal Massachusetts ;)

In the case of beaches, you not only have complaints from non-smokers but the cost of cleaning up the butts left behind, and the danger to wildlife who ingest them.

And yes, I know they too are **banned** but seriously, have you ever been around someone using one? There is no smell! I doubt that if I am having nicotine withdrawal at 6 in the morning anyone would even notice if I took one hit off an e-cig on my balcony at 20 knots! :p

1) They do smell.

2) Unless you quit smoking less than 72 hours prior, you are NOT having nicotine withdrawal. Nicotine withdrawal happens when your levels start to deplete, and the body wants more. After 72 hours, the juice has left your body entirely.

what you are experiencing is a craving based on habit. There are many ways to distract yourself from this, including:

- Brush your teeth

- chew a stick of gum

- do something associated with water (because you didn't used to smoke with wet hands)

- wait 10 minutes & it will pass.

I smoked a pack-a-day daily for 20 years. Quit cold-turkey, 13 years ago.

At the time there was a bulletin board similar to CC, called QuitStop, where hundreds of people were quitting at the same time.

Not only are the above suggestions successful for me, but they were standard recommendations on the bulletin board.

If you've decided to quit, the above should help, more than an e-cig ever will.

Stephen

1) They do smell.

I have never smelled an e-cigarette. They absolutely emit no odor of any kind. Perhaps you are referring to hookah pens, that may give off a slight scent of whatever flavor it is, for a few seconds? Even if that, the scent is of whatever flavor you are inhaling (bananas, vanilla, etc.) and NOT smoke/cigarettes.

1) They do smell.

2) Unless you quit smoking less than 72 hours prior, you are NOT having nicotine withdrawal. Nicotine withdrawal happens when your levels start to deplete, and the body wants more. After 72 hours, the juice has left your body entirely.

what you are experiencing is a craving based on habit. There are many ways to distract yourself from this, including:

- Brush your teeth

- chew a stick of gum

- do something associated with water (because you didn't used to smoke with wet hands)

- wait 10 minutes & it will pass.

I smoked a pack-a-day daily for 20 years. Quit cold-turkey, 13 years ago.

At the time there was a bulletin board similar to CC, called QuitStop, where hundreds of people were quitting at the same time.

Not only are the above suggestions successful for me, but they were standard recommendations on the bulletin board.

If you've decided to quit, the above should help, more than an e-cig ever will.

Stephen

Actually Nicotine Withdrawal starts 2-3 hours after smoking a cigarette unless you have smoked another one during that time. It peaks 48 hours after you quit...so yes when a smoker wakes up in the morning they are in withdrawal. It sucks and sorry brushing my teeth or chewing gum does not make that withdrawal go away...It will distract me from feeding the withdrawal but the symptoms are still there

While I don't agree 100% with this new policy, here's my humble opinion on the matter:

With this new smoking policy in place, my wife and I have decided to enjoy one last smoking balcony cruise on the Breakaway next month. We will try to be as courteous to our neighbors as possible, (as we always are) but we will enjoy our balcony cigarettes! :)

Our future cruises will be booked in inside cabins and we will only smoke in the designated ares. Simple as that.

Although I do enjoy smoking, perhaps this new policy will finally help us quit our 15 year habit. :cool:

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

2rgdnbs.jpg

the only problem with this is that no rights were taken away. A rule from a cruise ship was altered. This is a bit over the top.

maybe there should be one more thing on here

Dont like the non-smoking balcony rule? Don't book that cuiseline

the only problem with this is that no rights were taken away. A rule from a cruise ship was altered. This is a bit over the top.

maybe there should be one more thing on here

best post ever!!!!

And water that is 60° and smoking not allowed on a wide open beach. Nope doesn't sound like a vacation to me. I'll stick to my 85° Florida beaches were I can smoke all day long if I so choose. ;)

What do you do with your cigarette butts all day long?

The same thing you do with your trash! When I smoked regularly, and all of my smoking friends, will put out their butts in the sand, and then throw them in the garbage bag, or an empty bottle designated for the purpose, etc.

I wouldn't leave my food garbage on a beach or park. Why would I do the same with cigarette butts?

What do you do with your cigarette butts all day long?

[/b]

Can't believe this thread is still going, but glad I checked back through the past few pages. Finally some real insight into no one caring about losing freedoms until they come for YOUR freedoms...Thank you for your post!

I also remember growing up in a smoke filled house and cars on cross country trips with my parents, so current thinking is that I should not be healthy or alive now collecting my social security.

Not quite. Current thinking (and data) indicates that the average smoker lives 10 years less then the average non-smoker.

As far as second hand smoke impacting children

Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) puts children at risk for serious health problems. Breathing in second-hand smoke is also called “involuntary smoking” or “passive smoking”). Can you imagine giving a cigarette to your two-year-old? The exposures to secondhand smoke can affect children in very similar ways.

There are many ways in which children are hurt by secondhand smoke. Smoking around kids puts them at risk for:

Ear infections (which can lead to hearing problems)

Upper respiratory infections

Bronchitis

Pneumonia

Reduced lung function

Asthma

Exposure to environmental smoke increases kids’ risk later in life of:

Lung cancer

Heart disease

Cataracts (of the eyes)

Now the good news is that if you yourself have never smoked your odds while elevated, is significantly better then one that has continued frequent exposure while an adult.

Some people beat the odds some don't. About 42,000 don't each year due to second hand smoke.

Not quite. Current thinking (and data) indicates that the average smoker lives 10 years less then the average non-smoker.

As far as second hand smoke impacting children

Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) puts children at risk for serious health problems. Breathing in second-hand smoke is also called “involuntary smoking” or “passive smoking”). Can you imagine giving a cigarette to your two-year-old? The exposures to secondhand smoke can affect children in very similar ways.

There are many ways in which children are hurt by secondhand smoke. Smoking around kids puts them at risk for:

Ear infections (which can lead to hearing problems)

Upper respiratory infections

Bronchitis

Pneumonia

Reduced lung function

Asthma

Exposure to environmental smoke increases kids’ risk later in life of:

Lung cancer

Heart disease

Cataracts (of the eyes)

Now the good news is that if you yourself have never smoked your odds while elevated, is significantly better then one that has continued frequent exposure while an adult.

Some people beat the odds some don't. About 42,000 don't each year due to second hand smoke.

Not according to the WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION 7 year study into the impact of ETS http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/19/1440.full.pdf

For those who can not be bothered reading it all there was 2 startling results

1. The risk rating for a non smoker in continual exposure to ETS was 1.16 or 16% but you have to remember that is 16% of 0.01

2. That children exposed to ETS were 22% less likely to contract lung cancer again that's still only 22% of 0.01

There are a lot of studies taking place at the moment into the coincidental rise in asthma cases in 1st world countries and the drop in smoking rates

another interesting article http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100251229/passive-smoking-another-of-the-nanny-states-big-lies/

I have no problem with NCL new restrictions based on fire safety but disagree with them being implemented on the grounds of bad science

Not according to the WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION 7 year study into the impact of ETS http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/19/1440.full.pdf

For those who can not be bothered reading it all there was 2 startling results

1. The risk rating for a non smoker in continual exposure to ETS was 1.16 or 16% but you have to remember that is 16% of 0.01

2. That children exposed to ETS were 22% less likely to contract lung cancer again that's still only 22% of 0.01

There are a lot of studies taking place at the moment into the coincidental rise in asthma cases in 1st world countries and the drop in smoking rates

another interesting article http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100251229/passive-smoking-another-of-the-nanny-states-big-lies/

I have no problem with NCL new restrictions based on fire safety but disagree with them being implemented on the grounds of bad science

I wasn't going to go there with Mr. I have read studies that back up my opinion and your studies don't count but I didn't because it is an exercise in futility...However I am kinda glad that someone else did

That's my problem - there IS only one cruise line left and I'm hoping they continue to allow balcony smoking.

How wonderful it would be if there were choices for everyone.

That's my problem - there IS only one cruise line left and I'm hoping they continue to allow balcony smoking.

How wonderful it would be if there were choices for everyone.

You can choose your cruise line, which cabin, where to eat, what to see or do just like I can. You chose to smoke while I chose not to smoke. Sounds like we all have choices.:D

NCL is not saying smokefree in all areas. There will be a new restriction in place but not a total ban.

Just like activities with weight restrictions ( yes I am a larger person).If I chose to lose a few pounds then there would be no restriction. I can't just go to a designated area and still participate. We all have choices!!:)

Actually Nicotine Withdrawal starts 2-3 hours after smoking a cigarette unless you have smoked another one during that time. It peaks 48 hours after you quit...so yes when a smoker wakes up in the morning they are in withdrawal. It sucks and sorry brushing my teeth or chewing gum does not make that withdrawal go away...It will distract me from feeding the withdrawal but the symptoms are still there

This site says the same thing I said, only they're more generous than 72 hours.

http://addiction.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_Long_Does_Nicotine_Withdrawal_Last

"The Duration of Physical Effects

The physical effects of nicotine withdrawal last the least amount of time. They peak around the third day and last about five days. Some people feel physical symptoms from nicotine cessation for up to two weeks. The following are factors that contribute to how long your physical symptoms will last:

Detoxification - It depends on how long it takes for your body to rid itself of the nicotine and return to a nicotine-free state. You can help this process by drinking a lot of fluids, which will help flush your body out.

Years smoked - If you've smoked for years rather than months, it might take longer for you to feel better physically because your body has grown accustomed to functioning with nicotine.

Amount smoked - If you only smoked a couple of cigarettes a day, you will probably not experience symptoms as long as someone who was a heavy smoker.

This site says the same thing I said, only they're more generous than 72 hours.

http://addiction.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_Long_Does_Nicotine_Withdrawal_Last

"The Duration of Physical Effects

The physical effects of nicotine withdrawal last the least amount of time. They peak around the third day and last about five days. Some people feel physical symptoms from nicotine cessation for up to two weeks. The following are factors that contribute to how long your physical symptoms will last:

Detoxification - It depends on how long it takes for your body to rid itself of the nicotine and return to a nicotine-free state. You can help this process by drinking a lot of fluids, which will help flush your body out.

Years smoked - If you've smoked for years rather than months, it might take longer for you to feel better physically because your body has grown accustomed to functioning with nicotine.

Amount smoked - If you only smoked a couple of cigarettes a day, you will probably not experience symptoms as long as someone who was a heavy smoker.

The info you provided makes sense. One thing that isn't always mentioned is depression and it's common when anyone is going through withdrawal from any substance. The link you provided does provide information about psychological symptoms.

Edited by kcwingwalker