Ever Had A Bad Drink on RCCL?

On our March 2014 Oasis cruise we were sitting in Trellis bar (at Central Park) by the counter and having a discussion with the pleasant bartender who called himself "G" from Philippines. Waiters from the restaurants around use Trellis as their place to get drinks to customers inside restaurants. A very nice waitress (from some Eastern European country) came by several times, to fetch a vodka with orange juice. When she came the third time in a few minutes, she asked G to give vodka on a separate glass, since the customer kept complaining that the drink was "watered down" and was not strong enough. We had seen the previous drinks - no watering happened, and G was very generous with his pours of vodka.

Finally G poured a full mohito-style glass full of vodka, and same size glass of orange juice to be brought to the unsatisfied customer, some ice in a third glass. She never came back, so I guess the customer was finally happy. The vodka was like 2 dl (=6,7USoz)! I think the customer had no more drinks, after finalizing that one...

I am from Finland, so I can take vodka neat especially if it's ice cold (we put the bottle into a freezer and take drinks as shots of 2cl by drinking it bottoms up and it is GOOD!) , but full glass of it is insane, even to us.

Yes. Mentioned it to the bartender and was given another that turned out to be a really bad drink. :rolleyes: I could barely stand afterwards, so I decided to sit at the bar and have another.

Why not....it's not like you were the designated driver that night!

I've had one or two cocktails that didn't seem to have much alcohol in them?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, same experience here. A Drink of the day in the Schooner Bar tasted just like fruit juice and water and a Mud Slide on the Pool deck was so watery I just couldn't drink it. I didn't think to send either back though, as I'm not much of a complainer On reflection, considering I do pay for each and every drink I probably will do so if it happens on our next cruise in August.

Mixed drinks with their fake mixes are all bad. Strawberry daks with the mix yuck! Just prefer to drink bourbon straight up on the rocks....................RADICAL

All pre made mixes? No fresh squeezed juices? Muddled limes or mint? Do they have cucumbers for the Hendricks gin? How disappointing. At the Viking and Schooner I did expect handcrafted drinks. After all thus is a cruise with suggested formal attire for the guests, I would expect some of the bars to formally make cocktails.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All pre made mixes? No fresh squeezed juices? Muddled limes or mint? Do they have cucumbers for the Hendricks gin? How disappointing. At the Viking and Schooner I did expect handcrafted drinks. After all thus is a cruise with suggested formal attire for the guests, I would expect some of the bars to formally make cocktails.

Don't know about other drinks, but they use fresh mint in the Mojitos.

I've given up on the Soda Package. RC just can't seem to get the Diet Coke right. Last cruise I just grabbed a can from the mini fridge when the mood hit me. I probably saved $$ too. Now with the ability to bring wine on board I now have more options.

Maybe the FreeStyle machines have been an improvements?

Has anyone beside me ever had a drink on Royal, alcoholic or otherwise, that was SO bad that you had to send it back? Someone asked me that recently and I had to say "yes". I had an Apple Martini that tasted like a beginners Jello shot from a college frat party. I politely handed it back to the bar server and asked him to "please prepare an adult drink..." LOL.

How about anyone else? ;)

What is that saying about a bad day on a vacation is better than a good day at work (or something along those lines)? :p Same for drinks, I wouldn't care, I am on a cruise and usually have the booze package so I would simply order another one :D

I've given up on the Soda Package. RC just can't seem to get the Diet Coke right. Last cruise I just grabbed a can from the mini fridge when the mood hit me. I probably saved $$ too. Now with the ability to bring wine on board I now have more options.

Maybe the FreeStyle machines have been an improvements?

I seen people post both ways, Freestyle tastes better than fountain, Freestyle tastes worse than fountain. Another one of those subjective things you just have to try yourself.

I had a frozen mojito "mocktail" that was terrible - the bartender mixed in a bunch of lemonade mix and that's all I could taste. I mentioned it when she picked up the container and she said "trust me, if you don't like it I'll mix you another". I took her up on her offer, because it was terrible! LOL

I was asking for a strange drink on RC or in the US. They tried to make me a Pisco Sour, they used the normal lime or Lemon or lime ready mix, it must be made with fresh fruit. I paid for it any they at least tried.

I had a terrible margarita by the pool, it was warm and just plain bad, but did not return it. Another time at the Schooner I ordered a Margarita and it was so strong, I asked the bartender if he was trying to kill me, He just laughed. I drank some and then he added more mix to it.

Sometimes the drinks are really good, if you find a good bartender, just stick with them and you will always be happy.

Irene

We had the drink package on my last cruise, so we tried just about everything. The only drink that I didn't care for was a Caipirinha. I don't think it was the ingredients, I think it just wasn't made properly. Never had one before or since so I can't say for sure.

But the other 70 or so drinks that week were delicious!

I had a strawberry daiquiri in the Comedy Club on the Oasis that must have been a virgin style. I drink very little (one a day on cruises, none at home), and I could even tell how weak it was. I made the mistake of complaining, and what I got in exchange tasted like strawberry-colored rum.

What is that saying about a bad day on a vacation is better than a good day at work (or something along those lines)? :p Same for drinks, I wouldn't care, I am on a cruise and usually have the booze package so I would simply order another one :D

Well, I'd agree with you 100% if I had the liquor package...one can keep ordering. Since I choose to pay per drink, they need to get it right.

Has anyone beside me ever had a drink on Royal, alcoholic or otherwise, that was SO bad that you had to send it back? Someone asked me that recently and I had to say "yes". I had an Apple Martini that tasted like a beginners Jello shot from a college frat party. I politely handed it back to the bar server and asked him to "please prepare an adult drink..." LOL.

Yes, I had a bad LI Iced Tea.:(

I ordered a margarita and it was terrible. It certainly did not taste like a margarita and I've never had one that had orange juice in it. Also, I decided to be adventurous and try a frozen guava cocktail. I think it was something like a guava colada. I didn't know what to expect, but it was overly sweet, odd taste. Never again.

I was about to say the Apple Martini, but you beat me to it. That is the most foul drink I have ever tasted. Far too sour for my liking. I ordered it for the first time on the Rising Tide bar a couple of years ago. What a mistake that was. Luckily, I was on the beverage package so I just pushed it down the table and asked for something else. I had never even thought about returning a drink (unless maybe it was made too strong or too weak).

I had a horrible miami vice on the Oasis last time. i suffered threw it

Now THAT'S sad...it's pretty hard to screw up a simple fru-fru drink like a Miami Vice. It's kind of like Mixology 101...LOL!