Tender ports?

rc1973

We are considering two different cruises with a 3 1/2 yo. One of the cruises has 2 tender ports on the itinerary. I am wondering if that's a reason to possibly book the other cruise, with no tenders. I am just curious if waiting for tenders and traveling on them is a pain with young kids, or if it's actually no big deal and I would be avoiding them without a good reason. Thanks

We haven't had any trouble tendering with our kids - they actually think it is pretty fun. It's generally not a big deal to tender and I wouldn't choose my cruise based on the number of tender ports.

Tender ports of course can be missed if the conditions do not allow for the tendering to be done safety. There can also be lines waiting for the tenders on either end. Depends a lot on what ports and if that port has larger tenders or if they will be using the small tenders from the ship.

We haven't had any trouble tendering with our kids - they actually think it is pretty fun.

Yep - mine would happily get back in line for a boat ride. I think we did make a couple extra trips at tender ports just for fun. :)

I've seen the elderly and disabled successfully negotiate a tender (crew will assist), so it shouldn't be a problem for small children.

Roz

We are considering two different cruises with a 3 1/2 yo. One of the cruises has 2 tender ports on the itinerary. I am wondering if that's a reason to possibly book the other cruise, with no tenders. I am just curious if waiting for tenders and traveling on them is a pain with young kids, or if it's actually no big deal and I would be avoiding them without a good reason. Thanks

To go ashore, the only time there's a significant wait is when people want to get ashore first thing. If you're happy to wait an hour or so, there's usually no queue. Coming back, you're queueing on land so even if it's busy there's plenty of room to run around.

Thanks for the info! Based on what everyone said, we will book the cruise with tender ports. It appealed to us more than the other options. We were just worried about the tender with a 3 yo. But, it sounds like it should be fun for him!

The types of tenders used do vary by cruise ship/line.

Some are ones that hold about 100 to 200 people.

You may need a little help getting in and out of the tender depending on the sea/wind conditions.

The crew will help you.

Newport and Bar Harbor are very nice ports. Lots to enjoy.

Keith