Halloween Festivities

FriscoLady

We have only taken one Halloween cruise on Princess (last Oct, to Hawaii) and there was a costume contest and kid's costume "parade" in the Atrium and, at least in the dining room, lots of great costumes. The staff gave out candy to the kids. I was surprised how many people dressed up and the costumes were fantastic! Most all the dining room wait staff were in costumes, including one male who was a dressed convincingly as a female in full makeup, wig, and floor length sequined dress! The cruise staff said it was the most participation they had ever seen by both staff and passengers!:p

I've been on Halloween cruises the last two years and both times there was a costume party on the Lido deck and general decorations throughout the ship.

Lots of carved pumpkins on our Halloween cruise.

I've been on two Princess cruises over Halloween. One, a Med. Cruise on the Star (port day) where they did very little to celebrate. There were food art decorations and carved pumpkins in the atrium and that's about it. Saw very few passengers in costume.

The other was a S. Pacific cruise (sea day) and they went a lot more all out. There was a large, well attended costume party in Club Fusion, in addition to the food art/pumpkins and a Halloween Carnival in the atrium. Saw hundreds of passengers in costume. At the carnival they did cookie decorating, face painting, and Halloween bingo. Was hosted by Kids Center staff but open to all.

last year on the star princess there were more people than I've ever seen dressed up and the staff put on a haunted house. it was extremely well done...a bit disconcerting when the medical staff are waiting by the door though!

edit: sorry, I never answered your question! I think I've cruised 4 times at Halloween and there is no way to know ahead of time what is going to happen. its at the discretion of the cruise director probably. from what I saw, most people put on costumes around dinner time for the evening. I've never dressed up (and I love to!) because I can't fit a costume in my suitcase.

Edited by cdngrl

lfrom what I saw, most people put on costumes around dinner time for the evening. I've never dressed up (and I love to!) because I can't fit a costume in my suitcase.

In my working life, a suit would have been a great costume. Anyone who wore a suit to work was thought to be interviewing elsewhere at lunch time.

I've never dressed up (and I love to!) because I can't fit a costume in my suitcase.

In my working life, a suit would have been a great costume. Anyone who wore a suit to work was thought to be interviewing elsewhere at lunch time.

I can easily fit my costume into my luggage. I always dress as the same thing: a grandpa

It's really easy and doesn't take any special prep at all. :D

(Maybe I'm just an old poop but I've never gotten into the whole costume thing.)

Halloween is my favorite holiday. I decorate my house so it looks like a scene out of a horror story, and it's known as the Halloween House. 3 years ago I took the plunge and booked a repo on the CB for Halloween. It is FANTASTIC! It was during our prolonged Sandy cruise that year and even that didn't stop the fun. The following year was even better. I'm taking my 3rd Halloween cruise this year on the Royal.

I dress up, and it's really easy to bring a costume. You don't have to make it huge and heavy. Make up, an eye mask (fancy or plain) a wig or hat and something lightweight and you increase the fun a hundred-fold. Or make something. Last year one lady was Ariel and several people went as a group of clowns.

Our Roll Call has also planned some events, including a Halloween Dinner, with costumes, followed by the big party and the Thriller dance. There is a group of us from Roll Call who are going as zombies. We're talking about having a make-up party before dinner for all the zombies. We will then go, en masse, to the dining room, scaring small children and insecure adults along the way.

Halloween on the ship is fun, and can be even better if you bring a great attitude and perhaps some pre-planning with your roll call.

Happy Haunting!

Maureen

Halloween is my favorite holiday. I decorate my house so it looks like a scene out of a horror story, and it's known as the Halloween House. 3 years ago I took the plunge and booked a repo on the CB for Halloween. It is FANTASTIC! It was during our prolonged Sandy cruise that year and even that didn't stop the fun. The following year was even better. I'm taking my 3rd Halloween cruise this year on the Royal.

I dress up, and it's really easy to bring a costume. You don't have to make it huge and heavy. Make up, an eye mask (fancy or plain) a wig or hat and something lightweight and you increase the fun a hundred-fold. Or make something. Last year one lady was Ariel and several people went as a group of clowns.

Our Roll Call has also planned some events, including a Halloween Dinner, with costumes, followed by the big party and the Thriller dance. There is a group of us from Roll Call who are going as zombies. We're talking about having a make-up party before dinner for all the zombies. We will then go, en masse, to the dining room, scaring small children and insecure adults along the way.

Halloween on the ship is fun, and can be even better if you bring a great attitude and perhaps some pre-planning with your roll call.

Happy Haunting!

Maureen

OMG! A Zombie party! That sounds like so much fun!!!

On Crown Princess in 2013 the cruise staff had a hunt for a stuffed bat and spider which they hid around the ship for a three day period. If you spotted either of the two you would write its location and date on a piece of paper and turn it in to the library staff. The prize was not announced prior to the event. When it was over a winner was chosen from those who found the bat and/or spider during the 3 days. There was a new location for each every day during the contest. During my walkabouts I searched for them and managed to find both each day. They were not easy to spot and I got no help from the crew. One of my papers came out of the pot so I won and received lots of goodies including a shopping bag, shirt, all kinds of prizes similar to what is awarded at trivia games (water bottle, magnets, lanyards, passport bag, etc), a very generous spa certificate, bingo card, and a bottle of bubbly. Good fun!

Edited by boomerone
sp

• 2 weeks later...

Our cruise last year on Halloween was a 5 day and Halloween was on the same day as the formal night. I did overhear some people complaining that they couldn't get dressed up in their formal wear and their costume in the same evening so guess they didn't go in the dining room.

DH and I wore our dressy clothes and didn't bother with costumes. It was interesting to see how elaborate some costumes were....made you wonder how they fit in the suitcases.

We've been on several cruises during Halloween and the decorations and participation varied greatly. They all decorated the atrium with pumpkins, and an orange and black color scheme. However, on the Diamond last fall they went all out. All of the bars and Club Fusion were quite decorated and most of the crew wore costumes. The waiters and headwaiters in the main dining rooms were a hoot and one of the bartenders dressed as a priest and said he was hearing confessions (but bartenders do that on a daily basis). The extent of my 'costume' is to sometimes dress as a witch with a collapsible witch's hat and wear orange and black. Some would say that's not a far stretch for me. Have a great time on your Halloween cruise! Whether you choose to wear or not wear a costume, you will not be alone.