The Cruise tv series

chromered7

Having watched the first two episodes of the Cruise, about the Royal Princess, it made me think again about cruising with Princess in the future. In contrast Princess have had a spike if interest based on the showing of series. There two distinct groups that have arisen because of show those who have been impressed and those who have not. While you expect some scenes are manipulated and exaggerated it did not dispel the myth that cruising is for "old people". I had a perception that Princess was a classy line but to me after watching the show I was less than impressed. Now I know many things can be influenced by the editing but rather than make me consider Princess in the future it just made glad I have booked with Celebrity for our next cruise in 2015.

If anyone has seen the show or are faithful Princess cruisers I would be interested in your thoughts and experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The way ITV portray it makes it look like Butlins in the 70's and 80's.

Just what I was going to say, but with Deputy CD (Dan) ex Pontins, what else can you expect!

Too many announcements, which fortunately you don't get on Celebrity.

Mind, watching the end of cruise video, I often wonder if I have been on the same cruise!

Edited by upwarduk

I have watched the first 2 programmes and it has just confirmed that I am doing right by sticking with Celebrity. To be honest the scenes showing the passengers and the life on board ship near horrified me and as others have said - reminded one of the Butlins/Pontins of the 60s! I was looking forward to some genuine "behind the scenes" of the working life of such a large concern instead there seems to be a focus on staff who wish to try for a career in "entertainment"! The only exception seems to be the young spa/salon stylist who seems to be having trouble adapting to the lifestyle. The show isn't really showing what her life on board is like though but rather just has her moping to the camera. It seems too that Princess has a pale imitation of Perry

I have only sailed on Princess once, a couple of years ago and the programme on ITV bears absolutely no resemblance to our on board experience! We found the entertainment staff were wonderful, especially the two british members. I don't recall lots of loudspeaker announcements and we had ten sea days on our Cruise to Hawaii. Whilst we love Celebrity we would, until this programme, have been more than happy to sail Princess again. Perhaps it's something to do with that particular itinerary, 7 days Caribbean, more of a party cruise?

We have sailed Princess 10 times. (Not on Royal yet.) So, we like it. The last couple of years, we have been going on one Princess and one Celebrity. I think we will continue that pattern, at least for a while. We haven't seen the television show.

We have discussed the differences between the lines at length and here is what we have decided. This is just our opinion, and we always go on a cruise determined to have fun, no matter what.

-Celebrity is just a bit nicer all around.

-We think the food on Celebrity is better. We particularly like Blu.

-The entertainment is better on Princess. We are games people and enjoy the evening games they have a lot. Celebrity has some excellent solo entertainers.

-Service is very good on both, but just a bit better on Celebrity.

- We like the International Cafe on Princess which serves sandwiches, salads, and goodies. We do like the pastries at the Celebrity coffee bar.

-Regular coffee, although not great on either one, is a bit better on Celebrity.

-The ships are quieter on Celebrity.

-We like MUTS on Princess.

-Recently, we have found the itineraries on Celebrity to be better.

-We pay a bit more for Celebrity, but think it is worth it.

I know everything is subjective, but those are our thoughts. We are American, and I am sure that affects our opinion, too. We always have a good time regardless of ship and line. We have tried to sample a few cruise lines to get an idea of what we like. DH and I are of the opinion that you can have a great time on either Princess or Celebrity.

Ohiodoglover

We are Elite with Princess although we cruise for itinerary rather than blindly sticking to one company and Princess does have some very good itineraries. The cruiseline is really not as portrayed by this programme. We cruised with Fred Olsen for the first time this year, despite the awful television programme about the company. We got a really good deal with free all inclusive drinks and we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise - MDR food was the best we have had in all our cruises - we would certainly have no hesitation in cruising FO again. Its a shame if people are put off from trying Princess because of this documentary/reality programme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Can we, in USA, get ITV?

I have a lot of channels on Directv but can't find it.

Had not such a good experience with Princess for reasons some on this thread have mentioned and others, but really curious about the Cruise show.

I think the program is poor, and in my opinion does not make Princess cruises look very good.

Last summer we went on the Ruby Princess where Sam, the cruse director on the program was CD on the Ruby!

We loved our Princess Cruise in the Med (Venice to Athens > 6 nights) and I would not let this program put me off booking another with Princess.

I think the Program's down fall is that they put the emphasis on making it funny program with some serious bits, whereas is is should have been a serious program with a few funny bits.

If the BBC made this it would be a very different program. They'd focus on the technical and logistical challenges, internal politics and in between all that interesting stuff, we'd see plonkers like the deputy CD making a hash of the tanoy announcement! :D

My first Celebrity cruise on Reflection is 16 days away. I know I'm raising the bar but would not dismiss a Princess cruise again in the future based on that boring program.

Rob.

I know it's very narrow minded of me, but this show has definitely put me off from ever cruising on Princess.

Narrow minded or not - if we were not seasoned cruisers, this series would have put me off cruising full stop. I made this comment to my DH while watching episode 2. Just not the classy experience you would expect after paying usually at least 3 or 4k for your holiday.

If the BBC made this it would be a very different program. They'd focus on the technical and logistical challenges, internal politics and in between all that interesting stuff, we'd see plonkers like the deputy CD making a hash of the tanoy announcement! :D

Rob.

Actually the BBC made a series about Fred Olsen cruises last year 'The Cruise, a Life At Sea" which was universally criticised on the Fred boards. It made the ships look like floating coffins, old fashioned ships, boring activities, annoying guests who were all over 70.

The problem is just putting out a series showing how wonderful a cruise ship is would not be that interesting for the masses which is why they always try and bring in a human interest and concentrate on individuals. Then the program becomes as interesting as the individuals are (or not).

For those asking how Princess could allow this to go out. They wont have editorial input on this at all and would have agreed access and then allowed TV crew to get on with it. They cannot VETO a program that a TV company has alteady invested heavily in.

However, interestingly these fly on the wall programs usually always benefit the organisation. In the UK there was a long running series showing the runnings of the Uk airline Easyjet. Most of the time it showed delays and cancellations and the angry reactions of passengers and yet it did wonders for their profile. No publicity is bad publicity, apparently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't want to end up like the lady's partner (boy toy?!) who seemed more interested ensuring they had the best position to get plenty of free booze at the captains cocktail party, than meeting the captain but otherwise has not cracked a smile or made eye contact with the camera. I'm sure that's not heat a Princess cruise does to a man, but boy it's a worry [emoji16][emoji13][emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan
typo

Haven't cruised with Princess for a while but can 't believe this dreadful programme is indicative of a typical Princess cruise experience in 2014.

Hours and hours of footage will have been left on the cutting room floor. What we see is what the programme maker thinks will attract good audience figures.

For the moment though I am sticking with Celebrity and Azamara

We sailed with Princess 2 years ago on the Coral Princess through the Panama Canal, and it was a wonderful cruise, I really didn't want to get off the ship. Now if I had watched this program before I went I think I would have considered cancelling. It does Princess no favours at all. Such a shame.

I really think all these programmes need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The reactions on here are exactly what the producers want. If they just showed a load of people having a good civilised time then they would get fewer viewers and little or no interest in the programme.