Civitavecchia to Rome train schedule made easy

Epiro Funchal

Thanks for the timetable and when we are just traveling with 2 or 3 it might try it

But realistically 55 to 65 e for a group of 4 or more with door to door service from Rome cabs with a guy waiting with your name on a sign a d cold bottled water in the van for you is incredible after a 12 red eye flight with a connection in Frankfort or Dublin. Lol

Oh and they help with your luggage as well

Sorry I'm not taking a regional train that make stops and the fast train is too expensive once you are 3 or more versus private limo

The trains will work when it is me and dd doing Rome just for fun by ourselves and as it should be when traveling just solo or duo

But when it is me dh and all the dds forget it

Remember penny wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Not to mention the very long walk and flights of stairs to navigate at the port with all the luggage to save a few bucks. The train station is not next to the dock.

The train station is at most a 15-20 minute walk at a moderate pace. IMO, that is not very long.

A train ticket costs around 10 Euro per person. A private car can cost up to 130 Euro. That is a savings of more than a few bucks.

For those who travel light, the train is a very inexpensive way to get to the port.

Edited by lovemylab

We've just bought tickets Termini to Civitavecchia for €9 each. We are in good physical shape and are not concerned about the walk. And that's on the fast train, taking about 40 minutes.

Edited by TravelBugM

We stayed at the Westin Excelsior a couple of years ago in Rome and used the hotel's car service to Civitavecchia. (can't remember the name of the company) Glad we did because they told us that they are one of the few limo services to be able to drive into the port and drop you off in front of the ship. It was sprinkling when we left Rome, then raining cats and dogs at Civi. If you're dropped off at the port entrance, you have to wait for a bus. We were dropped off at the front door to the departure hall. Glad we took the car service...made the cost well worth it in our eyes.

• 1 month later...

Best just to buy at the newsstand inside the station. You want to ask for a BIRG ticket. Hand over your 12E and they'll hand you the ticket. Just remember to validate in the box on the platform. (This is assuming it's a port stop and you are not disembarking, in which case you only need a one way ticket)

You cannot purchase the BIRG ticket on line, only in country.

The Sunday schedule is different from the weekday schedule in the photo above. There are fewer trains and at different times.

Sunday departures from Civitavecchia to Rome are at:

7:34

7:50

8:01

8:44

9:35

10:44

Thanks, this is very helpful! Just a couple of questions - is the BIRG ticket a return ticket? and can we use it on the Metro or bus when we get to Rome? I can't find much information about the BIRG train online.

Thanks, this is very helpful! Just a couple of questions - is the BIRG ticket a return ticket? and can we use it on the Metro or bus when we get to Rome? I can't find much information about the BIRG train online.

Yes the BIRG ticket is round-trip and you can use it on the metro or the buses all day long while in Rome.

trip13,

The BIRG ticket is good on the Regionale trains listed on the schedule but not for the Fast trains listed.

It's also a good idea to check out the full schedule on Trenitalia's website to see the other stops. We like to get off & connect with the Metro prior to Termini. This can save quite a bit of time, depending on your itinerary. (On the way home, we usually get on near the Vatican, but this time we wanted to be sure we had a seat, so we boarded at Termini. Just be aware that the platforms at Termini could take 7 minutes or so to walk to from the front entrance).

There is also a 7:44 train which isn't listed.... it would be my desire to catch this train assuming the port shuttle starts at 7? We're going only to Roma Ostiense station which has good connection to Metro and Roma Lido line to Ostia.

There is also a 7:44 train which isn't listed.... it would be my desire to catch this train assuming the port shuttle starts at 7? We're going only to Roma Ostiense station which has good connection to Metro and Roma Lido line to Ostia.

The 7:44 train is Monday - Friday only.