Booking a disabled cabin?

My understanding about the accessible rooms is that you need to provide an affidavit proving need (in RCI's case, a special needs form). Otherwise it's at their discretion to release the room. I would imagine as the date gets closer, they would most likely allow it.

They do allow it and have for as long as I remember. Some think the cabins should be left empty I guess

No worries about booking a handicapped room -the cruise lines can't ask what your disability is.

The rooms ARE roomier but I found I kept tripping on the ramp into the bathroom…felt stupid every time too :eek:

As far as the moral issue - that's up to you, not up to someone else to judge!

Happy Sails

~ Liz

I understand there is a form that has to be completed when being booked into a HC cabin. Never seen one but would have to imagine some elements of one's disability would have to be divulged.

To all those quoted above and anyone else that doesn't think that there are requirements that RCCL must follow please note the following :

As of 1/1/2012 a USA Federal from the Department of Transportion went into effect for all Cruises embarking from a USA Port. The following regulations apply that the cruise line must comply with regarding the booking of accessible cabins.

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

If a person falsely certifies their need when booking an accessible cabin the cruise line has the legal right to move them to a non-accessible cabin. RCCL does comply with the USA Federal Law for cruises embarking from a USA Port as there is a certification process contained in the on-line check-in process that appears only when checking in for an accessible cabin.

If there are unsold accessible cabins after final payment period has past the Cruise Line is allowed to release those cabins to the general public and or use them for assignment of guaranteed bookings.

Edited by xxoocruiser

They do have a form to filling so they can customize your accommodation to meet your specific needs, here the link Guest Special Needs Form.

But when they open up the cabins about 2 months out they don't always ask for the form to be done. My brother and a lot of other people I know that are in wheel chairs wishes people would wait until 1 month out. Before they book an accessible cabin if they are only doing it for the extra room. For the record that extra room isn't extra room for the people that really need it.Also I am not judging anyone on what choice they make when choosing a cabin. I would just like for people to consider that not everyone has a choice when it comes to picking a cabin.

Enjoy your cruise everyone.

don't forget folks may have a disability that requires the use some of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin. These folks may not be in a wheelchair.

don't forget folks may have a disability that requires the use some of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin. These folks may not be in a wheelchair.

Yes exactly. Carnival has two different types of cabins just for this. "Modified" cabins would be for what you describe and have certain features but "Accessible" cabins are for wheelchair and scooter users and have the wide doors, bigger bathrooms and turnaround space in the cabin.

Yes exactly. Carnival has two different types of cabins just for this. "Modified" cabins would be for what you describe and have certain features but "Accessible" cabins are for wheelchair and scooter users and have the wide doors, bigger bathrooms and turnaround space in the cabin.

Holland America also has "Modified Accessible Cabins" .

I'm going to disagree with you. If RCI has opened up these cabins for general booking one should not feel they have a duty not to book them. I would hope anyone who does need one would get get one. However if they are open to all you should not feel guilty booking one. Flame Away.

First, let me state that people who need accessible cabins should be the first to get them. And if the cruise line opens those available cabins to those who do not need them, then those passengers should be the first to have to "give up" their accessible cabin for someone who needs it. That being said,

I'm with you and liken it to a handicapped stall in the ladies rest-room. If it is open,( and legitimately offered by the cruise line), I think it is available for use. I don't think someone should wait in line for the next available non-handicapped stall on the chance that a handicapped person may come into to use the restroom.

Yup... flame away.

Edited by just4kixx

If it is open, I think it is available for use. .

Thats because you are correct. Flame away? Why?

"Handicapped" stalls are not for the "handicapped" only. Its nothing but common courtesy to leave those stalls for those who need them IF there are other stalls open though.

The problem is, SOME people use those stalls that dont need them when there are plenty other stalls available. Or at least thats my experience from a wheelchair when Im the mens room.

Why would someone do that? :confused:

Same thing with accessible cabins on the ships. SOME people book them that dont need them only because they have more room. :)

Edited by ryano

A cabin cannot be handicapped.

A cabin cannot be disabled.

The cabin is ACCESSIBLE.

Words matter.

:)

THANK YOU (from someone who always books an accessible cabin when traveling with my sister).

Very true my daughter is one of them .Which is why I said the extra room isn't extra room for the people that really need it".

Edited by Jasp 0401

I booked a guarantee room once and a few weeks before the cruise I was assigned an accessible room. I contacted the cruise company and said that I did not need this type of room and asked to be put back into the "Pool" for further assignment. 24 hours later I was assigned to the exact same accessible room again. Again I asked to be put back into the Pool and yet again 24 hours later I was reassigned to the same room.

It did bother me while on the cruise that other passengers would think we were "taking" an accessible room when someone might genuinely need it.

But it seems to me that the cruise company is more interested in sailing with a full stateroom than worrying about who should sail in what type of room.

So for my 2 cents - The cruise company uses complex data modelling to know how many accessible staterooms they need this close to sail date. The have previous histories of the numbers of "last minute" bookings which come from those who genuinly need accessible rooms. So if the cruise company is making them available to the general public and if you want the extra space and the bathroom layout etc. then take it.

I booked a guarantee room once and a few weeks before the cruise I was assigned an accessible room. I contacted the cruise company and said that I did not need this type of room and asked to be put back into the "Pool" for further assignment. 24 hours later I was assigned to the exact same accessible room again. Again I asked to be put back into the Pool and yet again 24 hours later I was reassigned to the same room.

It did bother me while on the cruise that other passengers would think we were "taking" an accessible room when someone might genuinely need it.

But it seems to me that the cruise company is more interested in sailing with a full stateroom than worrying about who should sail in what type of room.

So for my 2 cents - The cruise company uses complex data modelling to know how many accessible staterooms they need this close to sail date. The have previous histories of the numbers of "last minute" bookings which come from those who genuinly need accessible rooms. So if the cruise company is making them available to the general public and if you want the extra space and the bathroom layout etc. then take it.

I applaud your efforts for trying to do the right thing!

Your point is right on that the issue lies with RCI and the other cruise lines. I've always believed that they need to make a better effort at offering unbooked HC rooms to previous disabled passengers who might be looking for a bargain that they would not otherwise have the opportunity to get. After final payment date they could send emails to those passengers on a HC mailing list with the available cabins/cruises. If after a couple weeks they are still available THEN they could offer them out to everyone.

Thanks again for trying to do the right thing. Happy cruising!

[quote name='Wilde_37']
But it seems to me that the cruise company is more interested in sailing with a full stateroom
.[/QUOTE]

As they should be :). They warn those of us that need these cabins to book early. We pretty much know that "last minute" cruises are out unless we just luck up.

They cannot and should not be expected to let the ship sail with these cabins empty if at all possible.

My problem IS NOT with able body people booking these cabins once they release them to the general public. My problem is with those that book them months before because they just want a bigger cabin.

I have never heard of anyone getting "bumped" out of them.