Booking a disabled cabin?

I wouldn't, as a handicapped cabin isn't as comfortable as a normal cabin...the shower is roll-in and it will flood the bathroom....not permanently, but enough to get the floor soaked!

Plus, the grab bars, etc....just are not to my liking...

If you don't need it, don't book it.

Amazingly, I agree with cb at sea!! The cabin is very roomy but the bathroom is designed for wheelchair users & very awkward for those of us that don't need that type of cabin. I'd stick with what you've got & hope someone who actually needs it has the opportunity to cruise...........

Since you do not NEED this type of cabin, I would leave it so that those that do need it in order to cruise, have the option of a last minute cruise just like everyone else.
I'm going to disagree with you. If RCI has opened up these cabins for general booking one should not feel they have a duty not to book them. I would hope anyone who does need one would get get one. However if they are open to all you should not feel guilty booking one. Flame Away.

If it is past the final payment period than it's acceptable for an abled body person to book an accessible cabin. If the final payment period has not past that please don't do it.

With that said being disabled, I rarely am able to book at the last minute so it would be nice if OP waited a little longer before booking.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The shower is a bit awkward, but I would still make the change for the extra space.

I absolutely would too. Only 2 months away anyone that needs one would have booked it by now so the cruise line opens to anyone. If the OP doesn't grab it, someone else will

Edited by SeaUs

Go ahead, take the cabin. Then while you're there think about WHY there is more room, WHY there is a roll in shower and WHY there is ramp out to the balcony. Think about the folks who have been there before you and who will be there after you.

Enjoy.

How many people here on CC have booked a last minute cruise at some point? Wasn't that fun? Exciting? Now think about someone in a wheelchair, and imagine them trying to book a last minute cruise when all the accessible cabins have been snapped up after final payment by those looking for extra room for free. Just because you CAN do something does not mean that you should. "There but for the grace of God go I" is something that my Mother drummed into my head from a very young age. I would rather leave those cabins for people who really need them. But that's just me. You do what you want.

We are about 2 months away from our cruise and I noticed a dozen disabled cabins still available. Would it make sense to change to one? My TA tells me that we can, but run the risk of being moved if cabin is needed. What are the chances?

How many people here on CC have booked a last minute cruise at some point? Wasn't that fun? Exciting? Now think about someone in a wheelchair, and imagine them trying to book a last minute cruise when all the accessible cabins have been snapped up after final payment by those looking for extra room for free. Just because you CAN do something does not mean that you should. "There but for the grace of God go I" is something that my Mother drummed into my head from a very young age. I would rather leave those cabins for people who really need them. But that's just me. You do what you want.

He DID say that there are about a DOZEN such cabins available.

*I* personally wouldn't deliberately book one, but I think that the situation is different if 12 cabins are available within two months of a sailing.

Please before you think about changing cabins think about who really needs this cabin. My brother is a quadriplegic and would love to have the option of going on a last minute cruise but can't because these cabins are so hard to get.He doesn't get that much choice on what deck or what side of the ship he is on as he has to get an assessable cabin or not cruise. He doesn't have the same choice as a lot people of picking where his cabin is. He never gets to say I don't want that cabin because I will hear the pool chairs being moved above or the noise from the bar .Before anyone thinks of changing cabins take the time and considered why they have wider doors and a bigger bathroom.

And then if you then still want to change can you wait until closer to your cruise.As that gives everyone the option of going on a last minute cruise.

Thankyou and enjoy your cruise

Edited by Jasp 0401

My understanding about the accessible rooms is that you need to provide an affidavit proving need (in RCI's case, a special needs form). Otherwise it's at their discretion to release the room. I would imagine as the date gets closer, they would most likely allow it.

Please before you think about changing cabins think about who really needs this cabin. My brother is a quadriplegic and would love to have the option of going on a last minute cruise but can't because these cabins are so hard to get.He doesn't get that much choice on what deck or what side of the ship he is on as he has to get an assessable cabin or not cruise. He doesn't have the same choice as a lot people of picking where his cabin is. He never gets to say I don't want that cabin because I will hear the pool chairs being moved above or the noise from the bar .Before anyone thinks of changing cabins take the time and considered why they have wider doors and a bigger bathroom.

And then if you then still want to change can you wait until closer to your cruise.As that gives everyone the option of going on a last minute cruise.

Thankyou and enjoy your cruise

Well said and completely agree!

My understanding about the accessible rooms is that you need to provide an affidavit proving need (in RCI's case, a special needs form). Otherwise it's at their discretion to release the room. I would imagine as the date gets closer, they would most likely allow it.

They do allow it and have for as long as I remember. Some think the cabins should be left empty I guess

Book it if you want it and enjoy it. It's after final payment date so they are open to able body passengers. They need these cabins full!

If your cruise was 6 months out I would beg you please not to book it.

No worries about booking a handicapped room -the cruise lines can't ask what your disability is.

The rooms ARE roomier but I found I kept tripping on the ramp into the bathroom…felt stupid every time too :eek:

As far as the moral issue - that's up to you, not up to someone else to judge!

Happy Sails

~ Liz

No worries about booking a handicapped room -the cruise lines can't ask what your disability is.

The rooms ARE roomier but I found I kept tripping on the ramp into the bathroom…felt stupid every time too :eek:

As far as the moral issue - that's up to you, not up to someone else to judge!

Happy Sails

~ Liz

I understand there is a form that has to be completed when being booked into a HC cabin. Never seen one but would have to imagine some elements of one's disability would have to be divulged.

They do have a form to filling so they can customize your accommodation to meet your specific needs, here the link Guest Special Needs Form.

But when they open up the cabins about 2 months out they don't always ask for the form to be done. My brother and a lot of other people I know that are in wheel chairs wishes people would wait until 1 month out. Before they book an accessible cabin if they are only doing it for the extra room. For the record that extra room isn't extra room for the people that really need it.Also I am not judging anyone on what choice they make when choosing a cabin. I would just like for people to consider that not everyone has a choice when it comes to picking a cabin.

Enjoy your cruise everyone.

Edited by Jasp 0401