St Petersburg

jessybell

Russian people are wonderful. They are warm and gracious. The tour operators are so appreciative of the business that all nationalities provide for their families. Russian culture is not the same as American culture. If a Russian citizen went to the US for the first time would you expect them to embrace our culture?

It is not the people that are screwed up; it is the governments that are!

Russian people are wonderful. They are warm and gracious. The tour operators are so appreciative of the business that all nationalities provide for their families. Russian culture is not the same as American culture. If a Russian citizen went to the US for the first time would you expect them to embrace our culture?

It is not the people that are screwed up; it is the governments that are!

The latest recent Gallup poll had Putin's approval rating at over 80%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/173597/russian-approval-putin-soars-highest-level-years.aspx

The cost of the visa for anyone on a Princess excursion or approved independent tour is zero from the passenger's viewpoint. If Princess or the independent tour guide is paying any visa cost, I expect it is minimal.

Maybe the passenger does not pay the visa fee directly, but can there be any doubt that it is figured into the pricing of both cruise line and independent tours?

True. However, you are still paying port fees and taxes to Russia even if you don't get off the ship. If you feel that strongly, perhaps you should cancel your cruise completely.

Very true in fact Princess's business arrangements in Russia certainly benefit the Russian government and the line's profits elsewhere enable them to send ships to St. Petersburg without great financial risk. It's just possible that those who feel strongly about not benefiting such an evil regime may wish to avoid the line altogether. People made similar calls in the apartheid era not necessarily involving cruise ships but still.

(takes tongue out of cheek)

Very true in fact Princess's business arrangements in Russia certainly benefit the Russian government and the line's profits elsewhere enable them to send ships to St. Petersburg without great financial risk. It's just possible that those who feel strongly about not benefiting such an evil regime may wish to avoid the line altogether. People made similar calls in the apartheid era not necessarily involving cruise ships but still.

(takes tongue out of cheek)

re: similar calls about apartheid:

I remember that there were some who condemned Paul Simon after he made his Graceland album. All he did (other than provide beautiful music for millions of people) was to provide employment for many wonderful South African musicians.

Those who condemned him did not care that he was helping the very sort of people that they were supposedly supporting with their boycott. Was their purpose to actually help people, or just to feel morally superior?

True. However, you are still paying port fees and taxes to Russia even if you don't get off the ship. If you feel that strongly, perhaps you should cancel your cruise completely.

The tour companies in St. Petersburg are really struggling due to people afraid to go to Russia. I'd hate to see them go bankrupt over something they have no control.

St. Petersburg is a beautiful city and it would be a shame for you to miss it...isn't that one of the main reasons you booked the Baltic cruise. We have been twice to SP...once on a river cruise and once on the Baltic cruise. Both times we felt safe and enjoyed talking to the Russian people. As Pam said the tour companies are struggling so even if a part of your money helps them out, it is a help.

I have to ask a question here....For all the places you have travelled to, and I am including myself here, do we all agree with the politics of every country we have visited?

Please get off the ship and see this beautiful city and enjoy it!

Edited by cormike1
spelling error

I have to ask a question here....For all the places you have travelled to, and I am including myself here, do we all agree with the politics of every country we have visited?

That is actually a very good point. Not so long ago there was a thread or 2 here about bringing Havana back as a cruise port for US cruise companies. People were generally in favor of the concept, and they were willing to financially support a government who totally ignores individual rights and freedoms and jails people for having opposing political points of view. The Cuban government, while much more subtle, is just as brutal as the Russian government. Yet people were willing to cruise there.

All of this is a personal choice. If you feel that strongly about a country's politics then don't go. If you do go, however, remember that the people you visit may very well look at things from a different perspective.

On a not-so-side note, LGBT activists have been discussing whether to boycott Russia for years now.

There are plenty of other places in the world to travel.

DH and I went to St. Petersburg in 2003. We had 2 guides from the same firm, both excellent. The young woman we had on the second day mentioned in passing that the young man we'd had the previous day, a brilliant philologist who taught us a lot we didn't know about Russian history, "wasn't exactly straight". (DH had already figured that out.) We wonder how he's doing in the current environment. We would not go to Russia again while Putin is in power. We will also never go to China because of the human rights violations and lack of religious freedom. As you said, plenty of other places to go.

If we'd previously booked a cruise I'd still get off and see St. Petersburg, but DH and I have been watching that area of the world and decided over a year ago that we didn't want to go back under the current regime. I don't think safety would be a bigger problem than usual (although DH was pickpocketed there- watch out for that). That's a good middle ground- you booked it before the Malaysia Air flight was shot down, and you're providing some sustenance to local businesses. I would not book anything in Russia now (or, sadly, anything in Ukraine, either).

Edited by Gloria Mundi

Maybe the passenger does not pay the visa fee directly, but can there be any doubt that it is figured into the pricing of both cruise line and independent tours?

A regular visa for Russia costs $160.

Princess shore excursions (usually overpriced) in St Pete start at $59.00.

How, much of that $59 do you think really goes towards a visa?

We just returned from a Baltic cruise on July 2 - our ship was in St Petersburg for 3 days. We did a private tour in StP for 2 days and traveled to Moscow the other day. The cities are beautiful and vibrant. Being able to stand in Red Square was quite an experience. I don't agree with Russian politics but I was not going to let politics stand in the way of my being able to visit these historical cities.

BTW, we visited Athens when they were having conflicts as well as Barcelona when they had their protests. As someone else said, the business folks are the ones that suffer when tourists stop coming.

Marianne

Of course not- I don't agree with some of the politics in my own country. No surprise there, I'm sure. I do, however, have my own opinion about what conditions are sufficiently objectionable to me that I wouldn't visit a place. I'm sure we all do, and they vary for everyone here.

It was a tragedy and now it is a travesty.

I cannot understand why the toothless wonders (the UN) have not sent people in to secure and investigate the site. Sanctions are a joke.

We travelled through the Middle East, including Jordan, Syria and Iran, just after Saddam invaded Kuwait. It was fantastic, there were no tourists! We had places like Petra to ourselves:cool:

Pickpockets are not only in St Petersburg! They're rife throughout Europe, pretty much everywhere in the World there are tourists.

Life goes on, it's a long time looking at the lid, so enjoy what time we have.

Paul

Edited by Tickle

Of course not- I don't agree with some of the politics in my own country. No surprise there, I'm sure. I do, however, have my own opinion about what conditions are sufficiently objectionable to me that I wouldn't visit a place. I'm sure we all do, and they vary for everyone here.

Well said.

Pickpockets are not only in St Petersburg! They're rife throughout Europe, pretty much everywhere in the World there are tourists.

Totally agreed- DH has been pickpocketed in Rome and Barcelona as well, probably because he's older (now 75) and moves slower than average. He's not allowed to carry money in Europe anymore!

I returned from my Baltic cruise on July 4. We were in SPB for 3 days and did a private tour through Alla Tours. Granted, this was before the horrible incident of last week. At no time did I feel unsafe. We were with our tour guide the entire time. We rode the subway without any incidents. Our tour guide cautioned us when in areas with high pick pockets and no one in our group had any issues. Some in our group went to the ballet one night, taking the subway due to traffic congestion, and had no problems. They were accompanied at all times by guides.

Most of the people with whom I interacted did not care about the politics of their country or the US or most other countries. The people who work in the tourism industry depend on a continuing supply of tourists to make a living. If people stop going to SPB, it is the common person who is impacted the most. As others have posted, the Russian government will not help these people if / when their income declines due to a decrease in the number of tourists.

I do not support Putin in any way, but I did not want to let one evil man and the government that he controls stop me from seeing an amazing city that is so rich in history, culture, architecture, etc. The common Russian citizen, much like the average US citizen, may not like what Putin is doing, but they have no choice and often have no voice to express their displeasure. Often those in the US forget that not all citizens of the world have the same rights and freedoms that we so often take for granted. To expect this or to not keep this in mind when visiting other countries is a sign of ignorance or obliviousness.

Everyone needs to make their own decisions in this matter. I am happy to say that I have been very fortunate to have visited Greece, Egypt, and SPB, and enjoyed all of them enormously. I was actually in Greece when they were having major protests, and I never felt unsafe. We were told which areas to avoid and we did. As long as you travel with common sense, flexibility, and a sense for adventure, you should always be able to have a great time. Just think of the potential stories you will have when you return.

Ultimately this will not be about how safe St. Petersburg is or how "nice" the locals are, this will be a political decision made by various governments as a way to punish Russia for it's actions.

At this point I personally feel it's unlikely (and I'm leaving on a Baltic cruise in less than 2 weeks) given what little has been done by Western governments to this point.

Will I feel safe in Russia, you bet.

Will I be upset if anything prevents me from visiting Russia, probably not.

There are supposed to be more EU and UN discussions on this later in the week. I for one will be watching to see what, if anything, is done.

In the meantime, my heart goes out to the people who lost their lives on MH17 as well as their friends and families.