London Hotels (Princess Package)

Seeking your feedback on utilizing PRINCESS CRUISE package for London hotels for 2 nights prior to sailing out of Southampton. We'll Finalize our arrangements/reservations this week.

PRINCESS is offering these London hotel:

Grange Tower Bridge Hotel

Seeking your feedback on utilizing PRINCESS CRUISE package for London hotels for 2 nights prior to sailing out of Southampton. We'll Finalize our arrangements/reservations this week.

Seems I experienced some technical difficulties...

London Hotels offered by PRINCESS:

Pullman London Pancras

Grosvenor House

Thanks!

I would check on the Princess forum for those that have used the packages

Check trip advisor for reviews on the hotels

In my experience the hotel packages offered by the cruise lines are well over priced but are convenient for those that want it all taken care of for them

Compare your options then decide

Of the three hotels being offered I'd go for Grovesnor House. I love its location just across from Hyde Park and on Park Lane. The Grange Tower Bridge is fairly new I think but maybe not so convenient for restaurants etc IMO. I'm not very keen on the area round St Pancras either if I'm honest although it is improving.

I'm sure you could get a better deal and better choice if you booked your own hotel.

The following is a link to the roll call for your specific cruise. These are the people traveling with you, so pop in and make friends. You can also see about booking elsewhere precruise and arranging for transportation to the ship. In any event if will cost you much less than booking with a Princess package.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2006630

I agree with the others. Unless you HATE doing your own planning and researching, the price you pay Princess is so overpriced for what you get, it really isn't a very good option. I love researching for hotels because I get to know the area thru my searches and have the option of hundreds of places to stay, not just 2 or 3 from the cruiseline. I come here and go to tripadvisor forums and get recs from locals that know the city, my budget choices, location to what I want etc. I like smaller boutique hotels.

That all being said, if you want everything planned for you including transportation to the port, go with the hotel recs of best location mentioned. London is huge. Public transp is great. But you still want to be in walking distance to things to see.

Remember the cruiseline will charge the hotel per person rather than per room. Thus making the rate often double the cost you could do on your own.

Edited by eandj

The following is a link to the roll call for your specific cruise. These are the people traveling with you, so pop in and make friends. You can also see about booking elsewhere precruise and arranging for transportation to the ship. In any event if will cost you much less than booking with a Princess package.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2006630

This is a great recommendation for the OP. We booked our transport back to Heathrow post ruise with folks from our roll call.

We took the train to Southampton from London and it was easy and fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

EANDJ...regarding the train London/Southampton...what is the travel time on the train? When did you depart London and arrive Southampton?

Thanks!

Here is a link to a website where you can find out about trains to Southampton. It takes about one and quarter hours from London to Southampton and there are two trains an hour.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

If you look on the megabus.co.uk website you can get amazing deals on the main Waterloo to Southampton line. Tickets are available 6 weeks before the departure date.

Here is a link to a website where you can find out about trains to Southampton. It takes about one and quarter hours from London to Southampton and there are two trains an hour.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

If you look on the megabus.co.uk website you can get amazing deals on the main Waterloo to Southampton line. Tickets are available 6 weeks before the departure date.

Please note that the Megabus/Megatrain tickets are usually not on those fast trains but on a slower service. In addition, Megabus/Megatrain tickets are not available on every slow train - sometimes only a handful a day (or even not at all on some days). They're also not flexible.

In contrast, if you're prepared to pay a normal fare to travel on the fast train, you can turn up to the station whenever you're ready without having to pre-plan around a specific train. You buy a ticket, wait an average of 15 minutes for the next fast train, and then off you go.

Some people will prefer it one way, and some people will prefer it the other.

Usually the mega rates are available a certain amount of days ahead..I think 30 days. And the cheap tix go fast. But.. there was a festival nearby so the lower rates weren't avail. at all on our day.

However, we found the train a very nice experience. We cabbed to the Waterloo Station. (a destination in itself..HUGE) The train was easy to find and board. Lots of signage.

At Southampton a quick cab ride took us to the ship. I can't remember costs of the cab. But it was a short ride and cabs were lined up.

I would much rather do the train than the bus or :eek:cruise shuttle. We priced out and looked at the ship shuttle. They met at the Victoria BUS station. But they didn't leave until 12:30. At least that was when we went last year. We were already at the ship when their shuttle was leaving London. I think we left around 10:00.

By the way, the train is level to the platform. So you can pretty much just roll your bags on the train without lugging them up the stairs like on most trains here at home. There are spots on the cars to stand your bags. eay-peasy

Edited by eandj