MS Trollfjord May 2015

Splinter

So I have taken the plunged and booked a solo cruise on this ship RT Bergen for May 16-27, 2015. I am so excited and looking forward to this long-anticipated trip.

I plan to book my own airfare (probably on Norwegian Air) to Oslo and take the train there and back. I have reviewed previous threads on this, but any advice anyone can offer is appreciated.

Have not yet booked any excursions. Interested in those that previous passengers have felt were the best or not-to-be-missed; mostly just plan to visit the port areas for most of the stops, and enjoy the scenery.

So I have taken the plunged and booked a solo cruise on this ship RT Bergen for May 16-27, 2015. I am so excited and looking forward to this long-anticipated trip.

I plan to book my own airfare (probably on Norwegian Air) to Oslo and take the train there and back. I have reviewed previous threads on this, but any advice anyone can offer is appreciated.

Have not yet booked any excursions. Interested in those that previous passengers have felt were the best or not-to-be-missed; mostly just plan to visit the port areas for most of the stops, and enjoy the scenery.

The 'Sea Eagle Safari', if available, is excellent.

• 5 weeks later...

We took the overnight train back to Oslo - on the day we returned to Bergen, we put our luggage in a locker at the train station, walked around Bergen, then returned to the train station at night. We had a sleeper car for two, so we got a little sleep that night (it wasn't the best night's sleep, but it was better than sleeping in a seat). The train goes to Central Oslo, where we then got a connecting train to the airport. We were very happy with how we traveled back to the Oslo airport.

• 2 months later...

So I have booked my flights (Norwegian Air) and plan to spend 1-2 days in Oslo on either end of my cruise. I have a friend there to see, and may consider a trip down to Skien too since that is where my family is from.

For mid-May, what type of clothing should I be taking for the cruise? Will I need snow boots? Mittens? Long underwear? I am assuming of course rain gear.

My first trip was at the end of April/beginning of May. We had mild weather in the south but quite cold in the North and some snow still at Cape North and Kirkenes. I think you can expect pretty much any kind of weather : from warn and sunny to windy and rainy. I see you are from San Diego so it will certainly be colder in average than what you are used to. Probably no need for snow boots, but good hiking shoes and "spike" soles (not expensive, take very little space in the luggage).

Of course a waterproof and windproof jacket (windproof is very important : there can be some wind, and even just the wind-sensation created by the speed of the boat can be chilly). For that same reason I would take a pair of long underwear just in case, and clothes that you can layer depending on the weather of the day (for instance : long-sleeve undershirt, a couple of short sleeve and long sleeve shirts, a fleece jacket, and a windproof/waterproof overcoat). Wool underwear is very good because it keeps you warm when it's cold, and are still very pleasant to wear when it's warmer (keeps the moisture away from your body so you don't get all stuffy).

I would also pack a beanie and some light gloves, even if you might end up not needed them. It also depends on wether you plan to spend a lot of time outside. People often underestimate the feeling of cold that the wind can give. As the saying goes, plan for the worst and hope for the best!

And have a great trip! I think it's a very good season for cruising the Norwegian coast, long days to enjoy the scenery, not too many people, and beautiful landscape with snow on the mountains.

• 5 months later...

Less than a month now to my cruise!

I have booked all my lodging (AirB&B and one hotel), and bought my train tickets. When returning to Oslo, I am going to take the Flam spur trip as well. I bought some kroner through my home bank, and have purchased a cheap cell phone with a SIM card I can use in Europe. Starting to pack. Still have not made any excursion reservations though.

Bumping this up for any more advice.

I will be interested in hearing about your trip.

We're booked on the MS Finnmarken in March and April 2016 from Bergen to Trondheim (via Kirkenes) with the train from Oslo to Bergen and from Trondheim to Oslo. We're on the ship one fewer day than the roundtrip, but we have different train routes from and to Oslo.

I will be looking for any comments from your trip that could help us plan ours.

I will be interested in hearing about your trip.

We're booked on the MS Finnmarken in March and April 2016 from Bergen to Trondheim (via Kirkenes) with the train from Oslo to Bergen and from Trondheim to Oslo. We're on the ship one fewer day than the roundtrip, but we have different train routes from and to Oslo.

I will be looking for any comments from your trip that could help us plan ours.

We are doing the same trip including rail in Sept of 16 so am interested in responses to your questions.

I have done that trip (including both train rides) three times (Feb 2012, March 2013 and September 2014). I'll be happy to try and answer your questions, what info are you looking for?

I have done that trip (including both train rides) three times (Feb 2012, March 2013 and September 2014). I'll be happy to try and answer your questions, what info are you looking for?

No specific questions at this point. I'll probably have some as it gets closer.

I have done Oslo-Bergen by train three times and I think it's a wonderful train ride with breathtaking views in the mountains (but I don't know what the landscape will be like in November, regarding the amount of snow).

Trains are quite comfortable and by booking in advance on nsb.no you can get very cheap prices (booking opens 90 days before the trip). You can splurge on a "Komfort" seat which will give you extra leg room and free hot beverages during the trip. Take the train that leaves Oslo in the morning (around 8.30 am) so that you are mid-day in the mountains and can enjoy the landscape in daylight.

I usually do the train ride on the day of the ship's departure. Some people might not be comfortable with that and do it the day before. I feel that with the ship leaving at 10.30pm in winter, it gives plenty of leg room for delays (for instance if there is railroad works and the train goes slowly, or if part of the trip is replaced by buses - it happens), or even for a plan B should there be a huge problem. The train arrives in Bergen around 3pm so plenty of time to go to the Hurtigruten terminal, leave your luggage and enjoy Bergen a bit. Many shops and museum close early in winter though, so if you really want time in Bergen it might be better to overnight.

The train station is close to the city center so you can just walk if you are up to it (about 10 minutes to the Fish Market area, 15 minutes to Hurtigruten terminal), or I think there are taxis waiting at the stations (and also local buses/tram but I have no experience with them).

• 3 weeks later...

Splinter and others, we will be doing this same route 2 cruises later for the Trollfjord. We will be interested in hearing of your experiences that could help us. We plan to see most of the ports on our own and would be interested in hearing and meeting others who want to do the same. We are a couple in our early 70's.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back last night from my fabulous trip! I flew to Oslo (on Norwegian Air...excellent) on 5/14 and stayed overnight (AirBnB).

Took the train to Bergen on 5/15 AM, and stayed at the Scandic Neptun (which was fine, large good breakfast). I did sightseeing in Bergen on the afternoon of 5/15 and all day 5/16, then checked in at the Trollfjord about 6PM. I did take the shuttle from the hotel to the pier (90 kr). I had booked an inside cabin (439) which worked very well for me, and was fairly spacious. Keep in mind that the room power only is on when your key card is in the slot inside the room. This means you cannot charge your electronics when you are not in the room. A minor problem, which I solved by just charging everything at night. The only downside of the cabins is the lack of a bridge cam picture on the TV (with air temperature and wind as in many cruise ships), although you could see this in the bars and reception. I would have liked to know when getting dressed in the AM if it was rainy or sunny, etc. with no window in my cabin.

Going north there were a lot of Americans, Canadians, and a few Australians along with many Norwegians and Germans. Coming south, not very many Americans or others who spoke English. I was at a dinner table with Canadians and Americans going north, but the first night coming south two couples from Germany who spoke not a word of English were put at my table. I talked to the dining room staff, and they went out of their way to find me a table to share with a nice couple from Australia for the rest of the trip south.

We had Norwegian National Day on our first full day, with a morning parade on deck after a ceremony with the captain and officers, and many of the Norwegian guests dressed in their native costumes. We were in Alesund later that morning, but the parades were pretty much over; people were still walking around in their costumes, and there was definitely a party atmosphere! We were blessed with mostly fair weather going north, but of course it was cold out on deck with the wind. Best place for taking pictures is on the deck 6 promenade. We say many lighthouses (I'm a lighthouse freak) during the whole trip.

We were able to go into the Trollfjord (weather dependent) on a glorious evening going north and south (although it was iffy coming south due to winds and rain).

I was traveling by myself, but took a few tours. I just walked around town in Alesund on my own. I took the Tronheim city tour just to save time walking to the cathedral, and also to see the very interesting antique musical instrument museum. No photos allowed inside either place though. I also took the city trip around Bodø and out to the maelstrom. It was a nice ride, and way too far to walk. In Tromsø I took the city tour as well, but this was a bad choice. The Polaria was very disappointing...other than the film "Svalbard - Arctic Wilderness". They way overbooked this tour, and it was VERY crowded in the aquarium. I'm short and never could see anything over the other people. You can't compare this to other world-class aquaria such as in Atlanta, Baltimore, or Monterey. You can walk here easily from the ship. Don't miss the nearby statue of Ahmundsen and the house he lived in when in Tromsø. Some people took the city bus to the Arctic Cathedral, which was easy and much cheaper. The Cathedral was nice, but I was somewhat underwhelmed. In most ports I just walked around the port area. Easy to buy sodas, etc. ashore to take back to your cabin (bar staff on the ship were happy to provide a glass of ice nearly always). I did not take a trip in Kirkenes. Going south, I took the Breakfast at the Nordkap trip, which I really enjoyed even though we had a miserable rainy day. Meet on the dock at 0530 for that one though! I added the Sea Eagle trip (which actually boards from the ship in mid-fjord just outside the Trollfjord) and we met the ship again in Svolvær. We saw about 5 pairs of sea eagles, which came right up to the boat for the fish thrown out by the crew. They also took us into the Trollfjord (so you don't miss this) just ahead of the ship.

The food was excellent. I did not try the new "a la carte" (extra charge) restaurant, but I must say that all our dinners were wonderful, and the breakfast and lunch buffets were more than you could possibly ask for. Try some new things. Cod tongue was excellent! I did get the tea/coffee package (tiny insulated mug for this). For water at lunch and dinner, I must admit that I bought a bottle the first evening, and then partially refilled it in my cabin and took it back with me to the rest of my meals and no one batted an eye, so that was my "work around" for the "no free water" at lunch or dinner.

You need to pick up your daily schedule/program in the activities center (they don't deliver to your cabin). The next day is usually available by noon daily.

I spent the night in Bergen on 5/27 (again AirBnB) and then took the 0845 train back to Oslo. I did not have time for the full "Norway in a Nutshell" trip, but I was able to take the Flam train from Myrdal to Flam and back on my return trip and still get to Oslo by 1930PM.

I spent all day 5/29 and 5/30 and the morning of 5/31 sightseeing in Oslo. I bought the 48 hour Oslo Pass (which gives you all the museums and free bus/trolley/boat passage) and took public transportation everywhere, including out to dinner with an Oslo friend. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I flew back again on Norwegian Air (Oslo direct to LAX) which was a 10 hour flight; it was weird leaving Oslo at 1840 and arriving in LAX at 2000 on the same date!

Edited by Splinter

Thank you for your trip report! I'm glad you had a good time.

Just to add two things :

- regarding the power outlets in the cabin. In some ships there is one outlet that will work regardless of whether there is a card in the slot (but I don't know if it's the case on Trollfjord). Otherwise, any card in the slot will work, it doesn't have to be the cabin card. So if you have a fidelity card from a shop at home or even a piece of cardboard it should work.

- in Tromso I agree that Polaria is way oversold. I don't know why they never advise people to go visit the Polarmuseet. It's a small but very well put together museum about the history of Arctic discovery and exploration, from hunting expeditions to Svalbard to Admundsen's and Nansen's scientific expeditions to the poles. Plenty of artefact, reconstructions of real scenes (for instance you can see the inside of a trapper's hut in Svalbard 100 years ago). It's 5 minutes walk down the pier from where the ship docks (in a old wooden red building). Really interesting and suited to the area.

Just back last night from my fabulous trip! I flew to Oslo (on Norwegian Air...excellent) on 5/14 and stayed overnight (AirBnB).

Took the train to Bergen on 5/15 AM, and stayed at the Scandic Neptun (which was fine, large good breakfast). I did sightseeing in Bergen on the afternoon of 5/15 and all day 5/16, then checked in at the Trollfjord about 6PM. I did take the shuttle from the hotel to the pier (90 kr). I had booked an inside cabin (439) which worked very well for me, and was fairly spacious. Keep in mind that the room power only is on when your key card is in the slot inside the room. This means you cannot charge your electronics when you are not in the room. A minor problem, which I solved by just charging everything at night. The only downside of the cabins is the lack of a bridge cam picture on the TV (with air temperature and wind as in many cruise ships), although you could see this in the bars and reception. I would have liked to know when getting dressed in the AM if it was rainy or sunny, etc. with no window in my cabin.

Going north there were a lot of Americans, Canadians, and a few Australians along with many Norwegians and Germans. Coming south, not very many Americans or others who spoke English. I was at a dinner table with Canadians and Americans going north, but the first night coming south two couples from Germany who spoke not a word of English were put at my table. I talked to the dining room staff, and they went out of their way to find me a table to share with a nice couple from Australia for the rest of the trip south.

We had Norwegian National Day on our first full day, with a morning parade on deck after a ceremony with the captain and officers, and many of the Norwegian guests dressed in their native costumes. We were in Alesund later that morning, but the parades were pretty much over; people were still walking around in their costumes, and there was definitely a party atmosphere! We were blessed with mostly fair weather going north, but of course it was cold out on deck with the wind. Best place for taking pictures is on the deck 6 promenade. We say many lighthouses (I'm a lighthouse freak) during the whole trip.

We were able to go into the Trollfjord (weather dependent) on a glorious evening going north and south (although it was iffy coming south due to winds and rain).

I was traveling by myself, but took a few tours. I just walked around town in Alesund on my own. I took the Tronheim city tour just to save time walking to the cathedral, and also to see the very interesting antique musical instrument museum. No photos allowed inside either place though. I also took the city trip around Bodø and out to the maelstrom. It was a nice ride, and way too far to walk. In Tromsø I took the city tour as well, but this was a bad choice. The Polaria was very disappointing...other than the film "Svalbard - Arctic Wilderness". They way overbooked this tour, and it was VERY crowded in the aquarium. I'm short and never could see anything over the other people. You can't compare this to other world-class aquaria such as in Atlanta, Baltimore, or Monterey. You can walk here easily from the ship. Don't miss the nearby statue of Ahmundsen and the house he lived in when in Tromsø. Some people took the city bus to the Arctic Cathedral, which was easy and much cheaper. The Cathedral was nice, but I was somewhat underwhelmed. In most ports I just walked around the port area. Easy to buy sodas, etc. ashore to take back to your cabin (bar staff on the ship were happy to provide a glass of ice nearly always). I did not take a trip in Kirkenes. Going south, I took the Breakfast at the Nordkap trip, which I really enjoyed even though we had a miserable rainy day. Meet on the dock at 0530 for that one though! I added the Sea Eagle trip (which actually boards from the ship in mid-fjord just outside the Trollfjord) and we met the ship again in Svolvær. We saw about 5 pairs of sea eagles, which came right up to the boat for the fish thrown out by the crew. They also took us into the Trollfjord (so you don't miss this) just ahead of the ship.

The food was excellent. I did not try the new "a la carte" (extra charge) restaurant, but I must say that all our dinners were wonderful, and the breakfast and lunch buffets were more than you could possibly ask for. Try some new things. Cod tongue was excellent! I did get the tea/coffee package (tiny insulated mug for this). For water at lunch and dinner, I must admit that I bought a bottle the first evening, and then partially refilled it in my cabin and took it back with me to the rest of my meals and no one batted an eye, so that was my "work around" for the "no free water" at lunch or dinner.

You need to pick up your daily schedule/program in the activities center (they don't deliver to your cabin). The next day is usually available by noon daily.

I spent the night in Bergen on 5/27 (again AirBnB) and then took the 0845 train back to Oslo. I did not have time for the full "Norway in a Nutshell" trip, but I was able to take the Flam train from Myrdal to Flam and back on my return trip and still get to Oslo by 1930PM.

I spent all day 5/29 and 5/30 and the morning of 5/31 sightseeing in Oslo. I bought the 48 hour Oslo Pass (which gives you all the museums and free bus/trolley/boat passage) and took public transportation everywhere, including out to dinner with an Oslo friend. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I flew back again on Norwegian Air (Oslo direct to LAX) which was a 10 hour flight; it was weird leaving Oslo at 1840 and arriving in LAX at 2000 on the same date!

Thanks for the report!

• 2 weeks later...