Just Curious!!!!!!!!!!

cimarrongirl

"Way back" in the 80s, when I first started cruising, the first ships I cruised on had virtually NO balcony cabins...maybe the bigger suites...but that was it...

Then, cruise lines started getting smart...They figured out that people like balconies...and were willing to pay more for them...and the cabins were mostly so far above the waterline that there was no problem replacing most of the former ocean view cabins with balcony cabins...

More recently, over at Royal Caribbean, they got even smarter...

First, when they introduced the Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas several years ago now, they realized that they could replace what formerly would have been inside cabins with window cabins facing the interior of the ship--fronting on the "Promenade". Then, with the last two ship classes, they got even smarter--put balconies on those inward facing window cabins to make them "Central Park View", "Promenade View" and "Boardwalk View" balcony cabins...Maximizing the number of balcony cabins on their ships while decreasing the number of not only ocean view cabins but window cabins as well...(Of course, if I want to book a balcony on a ship, I want it to look out over the ocean, not a shoopping area and the cabins accross the way...BUT lots of people seem willing to pay extra for one of these balconies even if it doesn't look out over any water)...

Anyway, Princess is just following the trend...

The way to make the most money on each sailing is to maximize the number of higher cost balcony cabins and minimize insides and ocean views...Great for the cruise line so long as they can fill them--and they are betting they can--and they know their own business well...

Actually, due to laws of supply and demand, it should also eventually help raise the price on those lesser categories as well...

Now, I typically DON'T book Ocean View cabins...Normally, I enjoy the extra space, private lounging area and fresh air that a balcony affords...HOWEVER, my general thinking on booking any cruise is that you always compare the pricing for that specific cruise--and your PERSONAL BUDGET--and weigh the general philosophy of how you enjoy a cruise...

For us, we will occasionally book an inside or an Ocean View. We've done exactly this for our upcoming Golden Princess cruise...Why? The inside was comparatively dirt cheap...and we don't expect to spend all that much time in the cabin.

If you are mainly using the cabin to sleep, change clothes and use the bathroom, who cares if you have a balcony? Even the windows are vastly overated...Why? Because most of the time when you are in the cabin, it's NIGHT and you are out at sea...the window is just a blank black piece of glass...

If you need the sunlight to wake up, just deal with an alarm clock, a wake-up call...or leave the TV on on that ship's camera station...

But, of course, keep checking the prices...If you can get that balcony within a reasonable added cost of the inside, then switch...If the price differential remains wide, enjoy the large cost saving knowing you are still going to the same ports, eating the same food and getting the same entertainment...and the views from the bathroom and from the bed while sleeping are the same as the higher priced cabins...

I'm wondering with the Royal and Regal having no Ocean View staterooms, how are people who normally get an Ocean View handling it. Are you upgrading to a balcony or going with an inside cabin? Just wondering how people are dealing with no window if they go with the inside. I have to be able to see outside, or at least I think I do. Just wondering!

Unlike all the other enablers(!) who've responded to you by saying they're dealing with it by booking insides, I refuse to book either the Royal or the Regal. I simply cannot do an inside -- I have to have natural light/be able to see outside, whether it's claustrophobia or just window-obsession -- and I will not be strong-armed into spending nearly double for a balcony I don't want/need. Princess has (at least for now) 16 other ships and I will happily sail on any and all of them. I may be a lone voice in the wilderness but so it goes.

Unlike all the other enablers(!) who've responded to you by saying they're dealing with it by booking insides, I refuse to book either the Royal or the Regal. I simply cannot do an inside -- I have to have natural light/be able to see outside, whether it's claustrophobia or just window-obsession -- and I will not be strong-armed into spending nearly double for a balcony I don't want/need. Princess has (at least for now) 16 other ships and I will happily sail on any and all of them. I may be a lone voice in the wilderness but so it goes.

The only person I'm "enabling" is me going on a TA maiden voyage in a cabin that I can afford as a solo cruiser. I just bet that a strong person, such as yourself, can endure an inside cabin if you really wanted to.

I,sadly have to have a window.I would get a bit ' panicky' without it.i so wish I could manage an inside and we would cruise more often as the price would be less,but I can't.we did a clipper cruise with a window and it was just about bearable.

I like to open a door ( as we can't open windows) when I arrive in a cabin and let the air through.who knows what smells and germs linger in that room...

To some this is silly but for me it makes me enjoy my cruise.

It would be nice to have a room with an opening window....

The short answer is that I won't cruise the Royal or Regal.

It's always all about the money - balcony cabins have a higher 'yield' than OVs.

As a solo cruiser in an obstr. OV with a 65% single supp, Princess hate me - I don't gamble, or shop much, or drink much more than my bar set-up, or do many ship excursions, so I probably lose them money.

I need daylight so it would be an effort to do well in an inside cabin - I struggle with the concept of paying thousands of dollars (I always have high airfare costs on top of the cruise fare) to have to force myself to cope with my cabin.

I also struggle with the concept of paying an inflated 'new ship' price with a 100% single supp for a balcony that I don't want and will hardly use.

Add in the fact of not being able to properly promenade and it becomes very easy.

I either -

Cruise the Grand/ super Grand / Island classes (oh, how I miss the Sapphire!) for a reasonable price.

Or -

Pay just a little more than the 'Royal/Regal' prices and cruise Silversea - yes, it costs more but I get soooo much more for my money.

I said the same thing but our situation being a little different we finally gave in & booked the Royal. We have a relatively easy drive to Ft Lauderdale (2 + hours) and hate to fly + we have two in a cabin which makes it easier to swallow. It's still irritating not having just a window cabin & have to pay for a tiny balcony just to see some light but if we want a cruise longer than 7 days we don't have any other choice this year.

I hope they lose enough business from this decision to make them think twice about the design in the future. ;)

The short answer is that I won't cruise the Royal or Regal.

Add in the fact of not being able to properly promenade and it becomes very easy.

I either -

Cruise the Grand/ super Grand / Island classes (oh, how I miss the Sapphire!) for a reasonable price.

Or -

Pay just a little more than the 'Royal/Regal' prices and cruise Silversea - yes, it costs more but I get soooo much more for my money.

Where have you found Silversea to be just a "little bit" more expensive than an inside on Royal/Regal? I have recently been price comparing Silversea, Seabourn, Oceania to Princess and Celebrity, and, even with a minisuite there still seems to be a significant difference. When I compare suites pricing on Princess or Celebrity I see it does start to compare. I might be missing something, as in how to compare properly. It would be great if you could share that as I would so love to sail a luxury line at an inside Royal/regal price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Totally agree with Pam! You've very likely to get the category you book.

LuLu

Which is exactly why we booked an IC guarantee for our 2015 Christmas Caribbean cruise on the Royal. We'll be totally happy with that cabin, and if we get bumped up, that's just a bonus.

I'm wondering with the Royal and Regal having no Ocean View staterooms, how are people who normally get an Ocean View handling it. Are you upgrading to a balcony or going with an inside cabin? Just wondering how people are dealing with no window if they go with the inside. I have to be able to see outside, or at least I think I do. Just wondering!

Inside cabin is fine...........as metioned previously, just leave the BridgeCam Channel on for reference to daylight or nearing port........I'm up at O-dark-30 anyways so don't need a window for telling me that:D

Where have you found Silversea to be just a "little bit" more expensive than an inside on Royal/Regal? I have recently been price comparing Silversea, Seabourn, Oceania to Princess and Celebrity, and, even with a minisuite there still seems to be a significant difference. When I compare suites pricing on Princess or Celebrity I see it does start to compare. I might be missing something, as in how to compare properly. It would be great if you could share that as I would so love to sail a luxury line at an inside Royal/regal price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry, you've missed my point that I won't cruise in an inside cabin - I need to see daylight but am happy in an obstr. OV (thanks, Renmar!) - so it's the fact that I am forced into a balcony cabin as a solo on the Royal/Regal that makes them so expensive.

And it's Silversea specifically that are solo-friendly - they offer quite a number of cruises at 25% single supp. - I agree that Seabourn et al are waaay more expensive because they only offer a 75% single supp.

I have a Silversea transatlantic next spring that is costing me $329 per night which is in a cabin equivalent to a Princess mini suite (no balcony but I don't want a balcony), much better furnished, butler and steward, tips and all drinks - champagne, anything you want - included.

When I look at many Royal and Regal cruises where solo occupancy of even lowest category balconies is over $300, sometimes heading up toward $400, per night the choice is clear.

Edited by jollyjones

Last time we had an inside cabin was on the Norway in 1986. DH would rather stay home than be in what he calls a "cell." We don't necessarily need a balcony, but we do need a window. Even an obstructed window.

We feel the same way. We've never had an inside but our last cruise was a OV after many cruises with a balcony, including the coveted Caribe balcony. Even the OV wasn't enough for us. We thought we could do it but no, we are balcony cruisers. We'd rather not cruise than have to book an inside (or OV in our case as well).

Last time we had an inside cabin was on the Norway in 1986. DH would rather stay home than be in what he calls a "cell." We don't necessarily need a balcony, but we do need a window. Even an obstructed window.

I'm with you Pia. Years ago I could do an inside but these days I just have to have some light from a window. A TV with a view of the outside just doesn't do it for me. I hate the feeling of being that confined and would rather not cruise than to book an inside.

Love inside. Sleep better and rarely in cabin. Rather go on more cruises than spend money on a Ocean View, balcony etc. i have had Balcony cabins before and never used them. I like to socialize with others than stay in my cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='Mommypig']I simply won't sail on the Royal or the Regal. They are TOOO DANG BIG. I like the little ships.[/quote]While large, I never felt it was larger and it was definitely less crowded than the Grand-class ships I've sailed. It's nice we've got choices.

[quote name='Shadow205']I'm confused. If you have booked a GTY, how do you know that you have had an upgrade?[/QUOTE]

You take the price for the guarantee you booked and subtract it from the category price of the room you received and then you know if you have had an upgrade.

[quote name='janacin']You take the price for the guarantee you booked and subtract it from the category price of the room you received and then you know if you have had an upgrade.[/quote]

No need to look at pricing. Just look at the category of the cabin assigned. If you booked a BC, then a cabin in any other category is considered an upgrade, even if it is a BB one foot away from the BC cabins.

We saved a bundle of money and booked an Inside, emphasizing shore excursions on this last cruise. About a month before departure, we happily took advantage of an upsell offer to a balcony. Now I can't imagine us having done that cruise without a balcony; it was just incredible waking up to Stromboli, having sunset over Capri, and enjoying our own private sail-in to Venice.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app