Using NCL Transfers from Port of Miami

M&D 2014

I have looked everywhere for this and am hoping someone can help me out.

We disembark on a Monday from the Norwegian Sky in the Port of Miami and need to be at the Fort Lauderdale airport for a 12:15 flight. I am concerned about Miami traffic and was thinking that booking the "official" transfer to the airport with NCL will be the safest option but even after calling I cannot find a direct answer. Does anyone know when this transfer leaves the POM to head to the airport?

Any idea if I should be too worried about rush hour traffic? We don't want to waste time at the airport because we got there too early but obviously do not want to miss the plane either.

I have looked everywhere for this and am hoping someone can help me out.

We disembark on a Monday from the Norwegian Sky in the Port of Miami and need to be at the Fort Lauderdale airport for a 12:15 flight. I am concerned about Miami traffic and was thinking that booking the "official" transfer to the airport with NCL will be the safest option but even after calling I cannot find a direct answer. Does anyone know when this transfer leaves the POM to head to the airport?

Any idea if I should be too worried about rush hour traffic? We don't want to waste time at the airport because we got there too early but obviously do not want to miss the plane either.

The NCL transfer buses don't leave until they fill up so you potentially can be waiting for a while before you leave. For a 1215 FLL flight the NCL transfer wouldn't be my transportation of choice.

We always book one of the shuttle services between Miami and FLL. Very reliable and cheaper than using NCL. We did it once, and never again.

SAS is one of the ones highly recommended. Probably about $15 per person. They pick you up at the ship at whatever time you want. You can do an internet search or check on Trip Advisor.

If you take a transfer, you will wait for the bus to fill. And you may wait in traffic like every other vehicle. Then you may wait while other passengers are unloaded for other airlines. And you will wait for your luggage (and other people's) to be unloaded from bus cargo bin.

I'd self disembark and use SAS. I have been happy with their service.

I'd hop in a cab - quickest way - they can use the express lanes on I-95N. Should cost between $50.00-75.00 - Have Cash - I've done it before this way and they did not take a credit card! Other than that, call Super Shuttle for rates: 1-800-BLUEVAN, I did this last year in Miami - 2 people $25.00 each way POM to MIA airport. I'm doing the reverse in December - flying into MIA and cruising from Port Everglades. This is how I'm doing my transfers. I've never used cruise line transfers - and haven't had a problem yet...

Definitely take the SAS or QLS shuttles! You can make reservations in advance by calling or emailing them and they will call you when they're at the pier to pick you up. Inexpensive and we've never had much of wait after getting off the ship. They do, however, circle around to other piers to pick up passengers that have disembarked from other ships and will do so until the van fills - at least that has been our experience. But the vans hold about 15 passengers vs. the busses at I don't know how many.

Also, if you take the SAS or QLS shuttle, be advised that there are no restrooms on board. Prior to leaving the ship, my DH made the mistake of drinking a few Diet Cokes we did not want to haul off the ship with us...and had to make a run for the restroom once we got to FLL! :eek:

We used QLS to go from FLL to Miami and back -- once in a private shuttle (there were six of us) and once just in a group shuttle. They were great to work with and very responsive. I plan on using them again when we cruise next year.

You can only use SAS if you have a cell phone. Are there any shuttle services that you can use if you don't have a cell phone?

I can not imagine traveling without a cell phone these days. There are so many uses for them - day to day and emergency. Very, very cheap insurance for many events.

(I did notice you are from Canada and will have to pay a bit extra to make that call, but still....)

You can only use SAS if you have a cell phone. Are there any shuttle services that you can use if you don't have a cell phone?

I think they all will all probably require this. When picking you up at an airport, you will call them to advise you have your luggage and they will tell you how many minutes till their arrival and where to go to meet them. And the driver can call you if you are having trouble finding each other or there is some sort of delay. Pretty much the same routine from the ship back to the airport.

We just turn our cell phones off during the cruise to avoid any roaming charges and turn them on again when we we disembark. Call your cell provider to find out how yours handles service in the states. Once you have your transportation, shut them off again.

Call your cell provider to find out how yours handles service in the states. Once you have your transportation, shut them off again.

We don't have a cell phone - (travel with a small laptop) -never needed one - never wanted one; but perhaps, due totally to outside influences, the time has come to purchase one .

We have just begun researching the basic (minimum) cell phones/travel SIMs for use only when required, (e.g. calling for a shuttle).........any pointers, anyone?

I would never allow our children, wife or Mother to travel even across town without a cell phone. Too many things happen, or could happen. Sometimes my wife forgets hers and ... well...

Meanwhile, my 84 year old Mother has not paid for a landline if maybe 8 years now. Same for us and our kids.

We don't have a cell phone - (travel with a small laptop) -never needed one - never wanted one; but perhaps, due totally to outside influences, the time has come to purchase one .

We have just begun researching the basic (minimum) cell phones/travel SIMs for use only when required, (e.g. calling for a shuttle).........any pointers, anyone?

The problem with a lot of the very basic Canadian phone packages or pay as you go phones is that they do not work outside of Canada, so that defeats the purpose of getting one for travel.

I would suggest that you go into a Best Buy, Future Shop, Costco, Walmart or even just a wireless kiosk at your local mall. They usually have a wide selection and you can compare what the different types of companies are offering. They will have different phones on display and you can see the different features of each and find one you are comfortable with. As a new cell phone user there is absolutely no need for you to pay for the phone. The free ones should be more than sufficient. Unless of course you would prefer something fancier.

If you prefer to look online one company is Koodo. They have some relatively inexpensive plans available.

This is actually a pretty good time of year to be in the market for cell phones. With the back to school sales about to start, you can usually find some excellent deals on electronics. As an example purchasing at a store like Future Shop might not lower their price but they could be offering a store gift card as an incentive. Anyways this is a great time to shop around, now and Christmas.

When you are looking at phones and plans it also helps to see if the company has any add-on plans that can be added for travel. These usually get sold by the month, so you can just add it to include the month while you are away. These are great for eliminating roaming charges which can be costly.

My last cruise was to Europe and for $40 I was able to add a travel plan on my phone. This ensured no roaming charges and gave me 40 minutes of world wide calling, 200 text messages and 60 MB of data. We were able to call home a couple of times, contact transportation, check-in for our flights, post to Facebook and I could text back and forth with my kids without incurring any additional charges on my regular cell phone bill. ( **note this was not available while at sea - only in port)

Also I don't know your age but if you are a senior you might want to check if the provider has a plan for you. I know Rogers has a plan for seniors.

Hope this helps pointing you in the right direction.

Rochelle

The problem with a lot of the very basic Canadian phone packages or pay as you go phones is that they do not work outside of Canada, so that defeats the purpose of getting one for travel.

I would suggest that you go into a Best Buy, Future Shop, Costco, Walmart or even just a wireless kiosk at your local mall. They usually have a wide selection and you can compare what the different types of companies are offering. They will have different phones on display and you can see the different features of each and find one you are comfortable with. As a new cell phone user there is absolutely no need for you to pay for the phone. The free ones should be more than sufficient. Unless of course you would prefer something fancier.

If you prefer to look online one company is Koodo. They have some relatively inexpensive plans available.

This is actually a pretty good time of year to be in the market for cell phones. With the back to school sales about to start, you can usually find some excellent deals on electronics. As an example purchasing at a store like Future Shop might not lower their price but they could be offering a store gift card as an incentive. Anyways this is a great time to shop around, now and Christmas.

When you are looking at phones and plans it also helps to see if the company has any add-on plans that can be added for travel. These usually get sold by the month, so you can just add it to include the month while you are away. These are great for eliminating roaming charges which can be costly.

My last cruise was to Europe and for $40 I was able to add a travel plan on my phone. This ensured no roaming charges and gave me 40 minutes of world wide calling, 200 text messages and 60 MB of data. We were able to call home a couple of times, contact transportation, check-in for our flights, post to Facebook and I could text back and forth with my kids without incurring any additional charges on my regular cell phone bill. ( **note this was not available while at sea - only in port)

Also I don't know your age but if you are a senior you might want to check if the provider has a plan for you. I know Rogers has a plan for seniors.

Hope this helps pointing you in the right direction.

Rochelle

Thank you for all your suggestions - they are greatly appreciated.

We have just started some research on unlocked phones - have found some basic phones for about $50. It is possible to purchase fairly inexpensive prepaid global SIM cards that would give us enough time to make the few required calls when in the US or Europe. These SIM cards wouldn't lock us into a plan; we could add additional time if needed. We don't need a phone to check emails or access the internet - we use our notebook computer for that when hotspots are available.

And for those watching here going to Miami airport. Cab is your fastest and cheapest option. Both ways.

Thank you, exactly what we hoped for. Staying in the Fort Lauderdale area pre cruise so was no too sure about transport after!

snow bunny

Thank you for all your suggestions - they are greatly appreciated.

We have just started some research on unlocked phones - have found some basic phones for about $50. It is possible to purchase fairly inexpensive prepaid global SIM cards that would give us enough time to make the few required calls when in the US or Europe. These SIM cards wouldn't lock us into a plan; we could add additional time if needed. We don't need a phone to check emails or access the internet - we use our notebook computer for that when hotspots are available.

That sounds like a good plan. I admit I know very little about unlocking phones and the International SIM cards. I did stop at the kiosk in the baggage area in Rome when I arrived in May. The most basic they were selling was just over 100 euros. :eek: That was enough information for me and I moved along. I would hope they are cheaper when purchasing here.

Best of luck in your phone search efforts.

Rochelle

When we used QLS in January, my DH & I were coming from one city and the rest of our party from another. We arrived first. From the time the second plane landed (SWA) to the time we were ready to go -- including picking up luggage -- was not long at all.

I'd say 30 minutes if your shuttle provider is going to be watching your arrival time. You might want to give yourself a bit more cushion if they are not. We had a private shuttle going from FLL to Miami, so the shuttle only had to worry about us.

We use Consumer Cellular and have the Anywhere 1200 for $30 (plus tax) per month. We also get an AARP discount which makes it slightly less.

Consumer Cellular has an Anywhere Casual plan for $10 month. It includes no free minutes and calls are 25 cents a minute. Good for occasional usage. They have minimal usage plans too -- starting at 200 minutes @ $15 month -- and up.

You could also just buy a "burner" phone with a minimal number of pre-paid minutes. Then buy replacement cards as needed. Excellent for occasional, emergency users. Quick look at major online store has them starting at $15.