Cruise, Katmai/Brooks, Cruise... Anchorage hotel suggestion?

CowPrincess

I'm really going to try for a fly-in trip to Katmai next year (even though, generally speaking, you could not PAY me to get on a little plane :eek: ). So far, the plan is take a northbound cruise, spend an overnight in Anchorage then go to Katmai (probably only a one-night trip) then back to Anchorage and take a southbound cruise back to Vancouver.

Does anyone have a "budget" :rolleyes: hotel suggestion? I just want clean and safe. With a shower. An in-room coffee maker would be wonderful!

Staying near the airport may be a little less expensive than downtown and there are some decent places there. Most of them have shuttles to the airport as well. Have no idea what the rate is but the Millennium Hotel has a very good view of Lake Hood from their patio where you would be taking off from to get to Katmai.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60880-Anchorage_Alaska-Hotels.html

I'm really going to try for a fly-in trip to Katmai next year (even though, generally speaking, you could not PAY me to get on a little plane :eek: ). So far, the plan is take a northbound cruise, spend an overnight in Anchorage then go to Katmai (probably only a one-night trip) then back to Anchorage and take a southbound cruise back to Vancouver.

Does anyone have a "budget" :rolleyes: hotel suggestion? I just want clean and safe. With a shower. An in-room coffee maker would be wonderful!

You really need to allow more time. Those flights get delayed and canceled pretty frequently. You should have at least 1 extra day, and frankly I wouldn't go for less than 2 overnights, which I just did almost 2 weeks ago.

I noticed that you are interested in the Katmai National Park and wondered if you knew about the wonderful live webcams they have on the river so you can check out the bears during the day. I noticed it's been slow today but about a week ago there were 9 bears in the river catching the salmon going up stream. It's really fun to watch. They also occasionally do a live feed from the rangers as they did the other night where they answered questions off the chat that goes along with the web. Hope you enjoy Attached is the website below....

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

You really need to allow more time. Those flights get delayed and canceled pretty frequently. You should have at least 1 extra day, and frankly I wouldn't go for less than 2 overnights, which I just did almost 2 weeks ago.

Hmmmm, I thought I'd allow extra time to get out, didn't consider extra time to get in. Thanks!

Any suggestions for a budget hotel?

I noticed that you are interested in the Katmai National Park and wondered if you knew about the wonderful live webcams they have on the river so you can check out the bears during the day. I noticed it's been slow today but about a week ago there were 9 bears in the river catching the salmon going up stream. It's really fun to watch. They also occasionally do a live feed from the rangers as they did the other night where they answered questions off the chat that goes along with the web. Hope you enjoy Attached is the website below....

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

I've been watching the cams for 3 or 4 years. I remember when I used to be one of 90 or 100 viewers :) based on the counter on the screen. Thanks though, I appreciate you mentioning it! Some days I love what the internet makes possible :)

Staying near the airport may be a little less expensive than downtown and there are some decent places there. Most of them have shuttles to the airport as well. Have no idea what the rate is but the Millennium Hotel has a very good view of Lake Hood from their patio where you would be taking off from to get to Katmai.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60880-Anchorage_Alaska-Hotels.html

Thank you! I'm seeing around $300/night for the Millenium. As I will be needing more than one night, that is more than I can comfortably spend.

Hey CP! You go girl! How exciting this will be!

We stayed at the Lake Hood Inn - a small B&B with an outstanding view of float planes taking off and landing constantly from our balcony w/headphones so that we could listen to traffic control and the pilots - really cool! Sorry, I can't remember the exact price, but it was fairly reasonable for our last night in Anchorage after our long drive up from Homer last year. Check it out.