New ship to Boston?

ALS1214

On the " future cruises" presentation on the Dawn they assured us that NCL will be in Boston in 2016, but the Dawn will not. I know we will not get one of the new ships, but wonder what ship will come here? They already said that the Breakaway will never come to Boston since it is strictly a NY ship. But I'm wondering if we will get the Gem after dry dock? Anyone her anything about the Boston to Bermuda itinerary?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would also love to see a new ship in Boston.

We've done both the Spirit and the Dawn, but it's time for a change for us now.

I totally agree. We have done both ships and while we love them both, it's time for something new.

Can't wait to hear an update on this. We're planning to go to Bermuda in 2016 and wanted to go out of Boston. We did the Breakaway out of NY to the Carribbean and loved it but it would be nice to not have to travel far to the ship.

I know I've heard that ships like the Breakaway are too big for Boston so they have to use the smaller ones. Not sure if that is true or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know I've heard that ships like the Breakaway are too big for Boston so they have to use the smaller ones. Not sure if that is true or not.

The BA will always be sailing out of NYC, it is designed to be NYC's ship. Probably Boston will get another jewel class ship, but not the Gem, as it seems there is enough cruises for two ships out of NYC.

It's been several months or more but I remember someone posting that Boston was limited to the smaller ships because of the number of people the terminal could handle. Perhaps someone could chime in if the terminal has been improved. Also seem to remember that there were problems with harbor and larger vessels .

But I could be totally wrong and if I am just let me know:)

Interesting. Hopefully NCL pushes to get the terminal modernized before they commit to anything larger (Jewel class isn't that much bigger but being able to get a balcony for 4 would be wonderful without having to jump to a minisuite).

As much as I like the historical terminal in Boston, it just isn't big enough as it is to handle the Dawn class of ships. Worst debark experience we have had, and as much as I love Bermuda there are other options to get us there.

It's been several months or more but I remember someone posting that Boston was limited to the smaller ships because of the number of people the terminal could handle. Perhaps someone could chime in if the terminal has been improved. Also seem to remember that there were problems with harbor and larger vessels .

What you say sounds like a very reasonable explanation but I have no idea if you are right or wrong. But you can be certain if you are incorrect there definitely WILL be someone to point out your error. There seems to be several people here on CC that make it their mission to point out others errors....lol

I read another thread in which some ships were listed for dry docks and upgrades. The Dawn was not mentioned. Could this be telling us something?

All Dawn class and Jewel class ships will get the O'Sheehan's/Moderno/Mojito bar makeover in the future - Dawn included.

The terminal was upgraded in 2010, to answer your question. I know the port and the harbor can handle large ships, as Queen Mary 2 and Explorer of the Seas are somewhat-regular visitors during the fall -- but they don't embark pax here. I'll see what I can find out.

All Dawn class and Jewel class ships will get the O'Sheehan's/Moderno/Mojito bar makeover in the future - Dawn included.

Has that been confirmed by NCL or is this info just speculation? I have been wondering the same myself. If you can provide a link or proof of some kind that can confirm this would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Has that been confirmed by NCL or is this info just speculation? I have been wondering the same myself. If you can provide a link or proof of some kind that can confirm this would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

There was a press release back in January, when the Getaway was launched, that said which ships were going to get o'Sheehans. I can't find the release online though. From memory, it is correct that it's all the Jewel and Dawn ships.

There was a press release back in January, when the Getaway was launched, that said which ships were going to get o'Sheehans. I can't find the release online though. From memory, it is correct that it's all the Jewel and Dawn ships.

I too saw a press release around the same time. The one I read did not mention any changes for Dawn. Even this snippet from the Norwegian Next announcement has no mention of the Dawn being scheduled for any dry dock/improvements. I am very interested as I have 2 trips booked on her. I have been looking for this answer with no success...

As you can see below the Dawn is not listed for any improvements on this press release.

SHIP REVITALIZATION

Image Title

We're making the youngest fleet at sea even better with upgrades and enhancements throughout our ships.

Dry Docks

What began with the addition of luxurious suites, studios for solo travelers, new restaurants and more on Pride of America in Hawaii will continue on a total of 8 Norwegian ships from 2013-2015. From beautiful new staterooms to the transformation of public spaces and from fresh paint, carpet and furnishings to overall important fleet maintenance, we're making sure our ships are in the very best shape.

Norwegian Ships Dry Dock Schedule

Pride of America Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Pearl Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Sky Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Spirit Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Jewel Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Gem Coming 2014

Norwegian Star Coming 2015

Norwegian Epic Coming 2015

EDIT

I just found this article on google. Looks like it might be what I was looking for but I am at work right now and am unable to open the article due to our firewall in the office. Have a look, is this the article?

https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/tag/osheehans-bar-and-grill/

Edited by pisenor
Found missing info

I just found this article on google. Looks like it might be what I was looking for but I am at work right now and am unable to open the article due to our firewall in the office. Have a look, is this the article?

That article states,

"Norwegian Jewel will be the first to gain a pub during its dry-dock in May. The remaining Jewel-class vessels: Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jade and Norwegian Pearl, along with Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Star, will add O’Sheehan’s in the future."

From that article:

Norwegian Jewel will be the first to gain a pub during its dry-dock in May. The remaining Jewel-class vessels: Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jade and Norwegian Pearl, along with Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Star, will add O’Sheehan’s in the future.

Thanks to all that opened that article for me...I will have to read it when I get home from work. Imagine, doing personal research at home on my time and not company time lol ;)

Thanks again

Work has been ongoing as Dawn sails .

New chairs in the buffet that don't hold water from wet bathing suits.

New coffee makers in the buffet that make a 1/2 decent cup of joe.

New juice / flavored water machines in the buffet .

All new upholstery and carpets in the theater.

There were new carpets being changed all over the ship .

Contractors are being looked at for the best way to put more kitchen space on deck 13 for Moderno move to make way for O'Sheenans to take over deck 8 .

New bakery items in the Java cafe .

Etc.

Edited by biker@sea

I too saw a press release around the same time. The one I read did not mention any changes for Dawn. Even this snippet from the Norwegian Next announcement has no mention of the Dawn being scheduled for any dry dock/improvements. I am very interested as I have 2 trips booked on her. I have been looking for this answer with no success...

As you can see below the Dawn is not listed for any improvements on this press release.

SHIP REVITALIZATION

Image Title

We're making the youngest fleet at sea even better with upgrades and enhancements throughout our ships.

Dry Docks

What began with the addition of luxurious suites, studios for solo travelers, new restaurants and more on Pride of America in Hawaii will continue on a total of 8 Norwegian ships from 2013-2015. From beautiful new staterooms to the transformation of public spaces and from fresh paint, carpet and furnishings to overall important fleet maintenance, we're making sure our ships are in the very best shape.

Norwegian Ships Dry Dock Schedule

Pride of America Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Pearl Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Sky Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Spirit Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Jewel Newly Refurbished

Norwegian Gem Coming 2014

Norwegian Star Coming 2015

Norwegian Epic Coming 2015

EDIT

from

https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/tag/osheehans-bar-and-grill

O’Sheehan’s Bar & Grill to be Added to Fleet

O’Sheehan’s, the 24-hour Irish pub, will be expanded to six more Norwegian Cruise Line vessels, adding life to the atrium area.

O’Sheehan’s debuted with Norwegian Epic’s introduction in 2010 and is featured on the sister ships Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway. It serves fast-food type snacks at no charge, besides beer on tap. Television, billiards and darts are available, too.

Norwegian Jewel will be the first to gain a pub during its dry-dock in May. The remaining Jewel-class vessels: Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jade and Norwegian Pearl, along with Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Star, will add O’Sheehan’s in the future.

Edited by Orleanscruiser

The terminal was upgraded in 2010, to answer your question. I know the port and the harbor can handle large ships, as Queen Mary 2 and Explorer of the Seas are somewhat-regular visitors during the fall -- but they don't embark pax here. I'll see what I can find out.

The Boston Terminal is rather barebones. The NCL ships fall into two groups, those that have about 2000 pax, and those that have 4000 pax. Boston would be overwhelmed by 4000+ getting on and off.

The lengths of these ships are not that much different, but the newer ones are wider. I assume the bigger ships ride lower and would need a deeper channel in Boston harbor, but that is just a guess.

• 2 weeks later...
The Boston Terminal is rather barebones. The NCL ships fall into two groups, those that have about 2000 pax, and those that have 4000 pax. Boston would be overwhelmed by 4000+ getting on and off.

Can't even imagine the chaos of them trying to get 4k people off a ship in Boston. Be easier to jump and swim to shore. Of course that may just lead to another 'vacation' after you get grabbed by Customs and Border Protection.

Not sure where you get your info but the Jewel Class Ships/ Pearl are 2394 passengers vs 2340 on the Dawn.. But at least Spinakers will not be in a cave and we will get a Great Outdoors Aft...