Freedom of the Seas drydock

Well I finally had a minute to call Crown and Anchor Diamond plus desk to discuss the potential issues with Freedom missing ports or change in itinerary for the 2/15 cruise. I was, of course, advised that there are no problems on the Freedom affecting their port arrivals or departures and no itinerary changes noted. From what we are seeing, there has been no problems so I am going to go with the optimistic view that we will not have any significant impact on our cruise.

Re the upgrades for dry dock. I attended the captains corner and the upgrades during dry dock were discussed. I don't remember much but they did say Izumi was going to be put where the card room is or somewhere around there. Maybe somebody else was there also and can add to that. They were a little vague about it. No change to the DL or CL was mentioned. They spoke a lot about the new cabins up on the track area and said we could look at the Navigator in Falmouth to see what they would look like. They mentioned Giovanni's table was taking the place of Portofino's. Most of the time was spent discussing the broken azipod, ship vibration and shortened ports. They didn't specifically mention upgrading any cabins but I was hopeful that they would since many are in need of refurbishing.

does anyone have info on the new large oceanview cabins that were installed on deck 12? fwd next to the spa.... I have one booked feb 20 but cant seem to find any photos or informtion on them..

Everything I have read says those cabins are still under construction so haven't seen any pictures yet.

Not actually sure what sailing you booked but just verify your sailing date prior to booking air since Freedom sails on February 22nd this year and February 21st next year.:)

Trust me, I don't take much on these boards personally. I came to CC in the wake of the Triumph fire, hoping to educate cruisers about incidents like that, and the technical aspects of cruise ships. Any one who wants to question my professional opinions is fine with me, heck, even my boss does sometimes :D.

I don't tend to stay on threads that devolve into mud slinging and name calling. This thread is still completely civilized compared to some of the hating that went on the Carnival boards during the Triumph period. I don't have a horse in any cruise line's race, but because I wouldn't jump on the Carnival was grossly negligent and ruined my entire life bandwagon, I was called a cheerleader, etc.

I study this as my hobby. I have all the official reports of all cruise ship (and some cargo ship) incidents from the last few years, and have actually read all of them.

I will sometimes let go at someone (did it just a couple days ago, we've gotten 4 feet of snow in the last two weeks here), but I try to control myself. I appreciate honest dialog and civilized discussion. I also try not to get on my soap box too often, unless one of my hot button topics comes up.

And yes, the cruise lines will always use mother nature to their benefit. If the ship needs to make 20 knots to get to Canaveral, even with 3 pods working, they would use the 2-3 knots of the Stream and save money on fuel by only making turns for 17-18 knots. Lots of folks think cruise ships should be like trains, and have guaranteed schedules, but just like those frustrating airlines, mother nature has a say.

Very appreciative. Thank You! Great stuff you are pass along.

Well I finally had a minute to call Crown and Anchor Diamond plus desk to discuss the potential issues with Freedom missing ports or change in itinerary for the 2/15 cruise. I was, of course, advised that there are no problems on the Freedom affecting their port arrivals or departures and no itinerary changes noted. From what we are seeing, there has been no problems so I am going to go with the optimistic view that we will not have any significant impact on our cruise.

Re the upgrades for dry dock. I attended the captains corner and the upgrades during dry dock were discussed. I don't remember much but they did say Izumi was going to be put where the card room is or somewhere around there. Maybe somebody else was there also and can add to that. They were a little vague about it. No change to the DL or CL was mentioned. They spoke a lot about the new cabins up on the track area and said we could look at the Navigator in Falmouth to see what they would look like. They mentioned Giovanni's table was taking the place of Portofino's. Most of the time was spent discussing the broken azipod, ship vibration and shortened ports. They didn't specifically mention upgrading any cabins but I was hopeful that they would since many are in need of refurbishing.

Captain also mentioned DD :eek:, and that didn't happen. :rolleyes:

Trust me, I don't take much on these boards personally. I came to CC in the wake of the Triumph fire, hoping to educate cruisers about incidents like that, and the technical aspects of cruise ships. Any one who wants to question my professional opinions is fine with me, heck, even my boss does sometimes :D.

I don't tend to stay on threads that devolve into mud slinging and name calling. This thread is still completely civilized compared to some of the hating that went on the Carnival boards during the Triumph period. I don't have a horse in any cruise line's race, but because I wouldn't jump on the Carnival was grossly negligent and ruined my entire life bandwagon, I was called a cheerleader, etc.

I study this as my hobby. I have all the official reports of all cruise ship (and some cargo ship) incidents from the last few years, and have actually read all of them.

I will sometimes let go at someone (did it just a couple days ago, we've gotten 4 feet of snow in the last two weeks here), but I try to control myself. I appreciate honest dialog and civilized discussion. I also try not to get on my soap box too often, unless one of my hot button topics comes up.

And yes, the cruise lines will always use mother nature to their benefit. If the ship needs to make 20 knots to get to Canaveral, even with 3 pods working, they would use the 2-3 knots of the Stream and save money on fuel by only making turns for 17-18 knots. Lots of folks think cruise ships should be like trains, and have guaranteed schedules, but just like those frustrating airlines, mother nature has a say.

I, for one, am very happy that cruiselines don't run like trains. I have rarely, if ever, had a train I was scheduled on arrive or depart on time. The last time, my noon train (out of Miami) showed up at 6PM.

does anyone have info on the new large oceanview cabins that were installed on deck 12? fwd next to the spa.... I have one booked feb 20 but cant seem to find any photos or informtion on them..

See post #1471

Pretty sure it's ala carte, so you should be able to get a margarita. Another option is the karaoke place outside the ice rink. They have half price margaritas every day

Thanks for the info, I really want to try it, but not sure anyone else in my group would be willing to pay the extra cover charge. A la carte sounds great😃

I will also have to try the karaoke lounge margaritas, I've never even been in there😜

I'm booked in one in August, so please report back after your cruise!

I, for one, am very happy that cruiselines don't run like trains. I have rarely, if ever, had a train I was scheduled on arrive or depart on time. The last time, my noon train (out of Miami) showed up at 6PM.
You will find in many countries the trains do run on time, in Japan the trains leave on the exact time and not a second later.

You will find in many countries the trains do run on time, in Japan the trains leave on the exact time and not a second later.

On the off chance that I ever get to Japan, that will be comforting to know. Here in Florida, not so much;)

Does anyone know about Sabor? Someone on the 2 day posted pictures and said it was open, but I am unable to find it to book on my cruise calendar. I will be sailing on 2/22 and would love to try it for lunch if it is open. Does anyone know if you can just go in and order a margarita? Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Sabor was on the cruise planner for 2/8 but you could not do anything with it. If you tried to reserve, it said not available which would have been impossible (ie, totally booked for th entire cruise). And my Cruise Planner still had my Izumi reservation for 2/14 the last time I was able to look at it a few days ago. But I know that will never happen either ;)

I know this won't get "liked x1000" but there are people on this board that agree with statement above.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Ha ha. Very cute

Hello! My name is Ryan.

Edited by ryano

Everything I have read says those cabins are still under construction so haven't seen any pictures yet.

Not actually sure what sailing you booked but just verify your sailing date prior to booking air since Freedom sails on February 22nd this year and February 21st next year.:)

im actually sailing the 22nd of this month i was mistaken.. i definately got one of those cabins.....kind of excited to be one of the first to experience it.

im actually sailing the 22nd of this month i was mistaken.. i definately got one of those cabins.....kind of excited to be one of the first to experience it.

Of course you realize you put yourself on the hook for lots of pictures:D

That gives her 36 hours to cover the 712 NM to get back to PC. She needs to average 19.7 knots to hit her scheduled arrival time of 6AM. No sense betting on the under, so I'm guessing 8-9Am before she ties up.;)

Ugh. I think you're right, but I hope you're wrong. I'm still hoping for no delays and no port changed, but I know that's just wishful thinking. Whatever, I'm gonna enjoy my vacation anyways, because I'll be on a gorgeous ship with plenty of food surrounded by ocean. :)

Info Received: 6 min ago (2015-02-07 00:50) (7:56 Eastern Time)

Area: Mexico Gulf

Latitude / Longitude: 20.72845° / -86.83823°

Speed/Course: 21.7kn / 37°

Not bad! Hope for the best!

Bob E

Info Received: 6 min ago (2015-02-07 00:50) (7:56 Eastern Time)

Area: Mexico Gulf

Latitude / Longitude: 20.72845° / -86.83823°

Speed/Course: 21.7kn / 37°

Not bad! Hope for the best!

Bob E

What would be the

normal speed a ship without problems would be cruising at?