Power Strips or Extension Cords?

atdahop

Are they allowed on Princess. I have brought an extension cord in the past. I know Royal Caribbean does not allow them.

Yes, you can take along both/either. Just be sure that whatever you bring is in good shape, with no frayed cord, etc. I understand people with medical equipment need to bring an extension cord as the closest electric outlet isn't really close. I always take a power strip with me to plug in all my electronic gizmos for recharging.

Edited by Treven

The Belkin unit has surge protection. I've been packing one for the last 5 cruises. I never leave it plugged up when not being used, or during the day when I am out of the cabin. I read once, some poster said that the utility crew came to their cabin because if a reading that was being seen on the ship equipment. Seems that they left their power strip plugged up all the time and it was creating problems.

So, I made a personal decision to just plug mine up when I am going to use it. I don't want to create any issues. :eek:

Edited by redtogo

I took three different cords aboard:

A simple 6' cord with a 2-prong plug on one end and three 2-prong outlets on the other end, though I never used this cord.

A simple power strip with a 4' cord to a 3-prong plug and six 3-prong outlets. I used this on the desk to power my laptop and three external drives.

A fancier power strip with an 8' cord to a 3-prong plug and and eight 3-prong outlets. I plugged this in next to the TV's cord and ran it down to the waist-high counter where I had four camera-battery chargers and two USB charges for iPhones and such.

None got confiscated and no one expressed any concerns over the setup.

... Seems that they left their power strip plugged up all the time and it was creating problems.

So, I made a personal decision to just plug mine up when I am going to use it. I don't want to create any issues. :eek:

My power strip has never been an issue and I leave it plugged in for the entire cruise as I'm constantly re-charging one of my toys, plus I don't like to run my laptop using it's battery.

Edited by Treven

The Belkin unit has surge protection. I've been packing one for the last 5 cruises. I never leave it plugged up when not being used, or during the day when I am out of the cabin. I read once, some poster said that the utility crew came to their cabin because if a reading that was being seen on the ship equipment. Seems that they left their power strip plugged up all the time and it was creating problems.

Just ordered a Belkin for our next cruise! :eek: It looks great! :D

Are they allowed on Princess. I have brought an extension cord in the past. I know Royal Caribbean does not allow them.

I have used my power strip on Royal Caribbean, 2 different ships. One out of Barcelona and the other out of San Diego...it was NOT AN ISSUE. In fact, I left it plugged in 24/7.

We bring a power strip every cruise for hubby's cpap..no problem. But they did take it away on a Celebrity cruise last year and brought him a different extension cord, even though ours if newish, not frayed and in good condition.

We have the Belkin and love it. We have used it on several cruises. One cruise on the Sapphire Princess we had an aft suite. Two crew members came to the door carrying a regular power strip and asked me to use that instead of the Belkin. They said it was interfering with their telemetry. I don't know if it was because if the location of our cabin or what because we have never had a problem before or since.

Weird. Usually this topic evokes a post from someone about how these things are a hazard, will fry the ship's electrical system, and my burn the ship to a crisp. I always take one myself...

Weird. Usually this topic evokes a post from someone about how these things are a hazard, will fry the ship's electrical system, and my burn the ship to a crisp. I always take one myself...

That usually comes up when someone wants to bring their Keurig. I understand the extension cord for medical equipment but beyond that a power strip should be more than adequate. You would think that with the new builds and the age of electronics that they would provide charging stations in the staterooms to avoid the hazard of someone bringing on an inferior power strips or rigging up extension cords.