Arriving FTL at 530am for a crusie from POM

perfectvacation

I too have valued your advice and experiences on this board along with many posters and so have no desire to ever block you or anyone else from voicing them...

However name calling is never necessary..Hopefully this was an isolated response..that won't be taken personally by the OP or anyone else considering your future advice on these boards.

I've NEVER called anyone a name. I said the plan was retarded.

The idea of waiting at FLL or going to the port so early really isn't a smart idea, but people can do what they want.

I have the luxury of being 15 minutes away from Port Everglades, 40 minutes from the Port of Miami and 45 minutes from the Port of Palm beach (Celebration) . . . There is no way I would start my trip off waiting around in an airport for 4 hours or taking a taxi to a port and sitting outside in the hot/humid/possibly raining August weather.

You invest all this money on plane tickets, cruise fare, transportation, activities, vacation . . . . take a few extra dollars, shuttle to a FLL airport hotel, get breakfast, get a room, shower, change into a bathing suit, relax, take a nap, swim in the pool . . . have SAS pick you up at your hotel at 12:30 and you'll be ready to rumble when you get on the ship.

The wording by Blue Herons may rub some people the wrong way . . . retarded is basically a form of the word "foolish" and essentially an idea that involves starting your trip out waiting for 4 hours + because you possibly feel you can wait out the morning to save a few bucks is essentially pretty silly.

Again, a Sunday night reservation in late August will be very reasonably priced in the Fort Lauderdale airport area and you'll likely get a hotel with free breakfast, free shuttle, free wifi, a gym, a pool and a room to relax in, shower and change clothes in. Check in Monday morning (call the hotel in advance and let them know this is what you will be doing) and you have the room to at least 11 a.m. but easily to noon if you ask for complimentary late checkout. SAS final pickup at 12:30 p.m. . . . essentially perfect timing.

I dunno, makes way more sense to me than waiting around with luggage.

I dunno, makes way more sense to me than waiting around with luggage.

It's just so hot, the heat drains you, and I think it would effect the quality of the first day if not the first couple of days of the OPs vaycay.

I have taken a "redeye" to FLL a few times and arrived in Ft Lauderdale between 5 and 6am. I get our luggage and go to a restaurant for a nice leisurely breakfast, then have SAS pick us up around 10am to go to Port of Miami.

It works for us, and we sleep very well the first night on the ship.

Wow, I don't know what to say.

Money not really being the issue, I just thought it would be kind of hectic to get a room check in and out get to the port later to wait in-line again. I very much appreciate everyone advise, and will way the pro's and con's.

(until I read this post I didn't know you could rent a room for a short time, but I guess they wouldn't care they still get the same amount of money) :)

BlueHerons I didn't take any offense to you comment just a little shock, You do have great points.

Like I stated earlier I really appreciate everyone advise, and this is one of the great things about this site is all the different views. Thank you

(until I read this post I didn't know you could rent a room for a short time, but I guess they wouldn't care they still get the same amount of money) :)

It appears that you are cruising 8/25 - your cheap room options are to:

1. Reserve a room for the night of 8/24 and then advise the front desk that you will not check in until early the morning of 8/25 (and request a late check out).

2. Reserve a day rate room with check-in early on 8/25 (http://www.between9and5.com is one source for day rate rooms).

In August prices near FLL should be rock bottom - good luck! :)

Edited by JohninDC