Arriving FTL at 530am for a crusie from POM

perfectvacation

We had to make some crazy flight plans to work in a family wedding. We are taking a overnight flight and arrive at Ft Lauderdale at 5:30am on 8/25/2014, not sure what is the best plan when we arrive.

Wondering if it is best to wait at the airport till later to catch a shuttle to POM or is there other stuff you can do around the airport to kill time. I don't think shuttles run that early anyway and what would be do once we got to the port that early.

We are cruising on Royal Caribbean. Does anyone know how early you can get into the port terminal, it would be nice to be one of the first to board the ship. By that time we will just want to find a deck chair and caught a nap. :D Thanks for you help

Cruising is so much easier when you can fly in the night before :)

Edited by perfectvacation
forgot some details

We had to make some crazy flight plans to work in a family wedding. We are taking a overnight flight and arrive at Ft Lauderdale at 5:30am on 8/25/2014, not sure what is the best plan when we arrive.

Wondering if it is best to wait at the airport till later to catch a shuttle to POM or is there other stuff you can do around the airport to kill time. I don't think shuttles run that early anyway and what would be do once we got to the port that early.

We are cruising on Royal Caribbean. Does anyone know how early you can get into the port terminal, it would be nice to be one of the first to board the ship. By that time we will just want to find a deck chair and caught a nap. :D Thanks for you help

Cruising is so much easier when you can fly in the night before :)

If you take an overnight flight, when u arrive, me thinks that you may be tired---you don't say from where you are flying from...That being said, I don't know what you want to do ----there's not a lot around the airport--there's never a lot around an airport.

Also, probably, you will have your luggage by 6 or 6:30/6:45 am possibly the latest. Depending on what day (weekday? weekend?) It may take at least an hour to get to POM. Are you arranging for your own shuttle or the ship's? If it's the ship's, you will have to wait until everyone on that plane has boarded the shuttle, which can take a long time...Or are you booking your own? So, if all goes as planned, you may get to the POM at 8-8:30 if you book on your own..... My guess is that RC will allow you to board at about 11am, which, in that case, as you said, you will catch the buffet and a deck chair and take a nap.....Hope this helps.....

We've arrived on a redeye from LAX-FLL at approx 6:30am...used a private shuttle (SAS) for the 6 of us and have been at POM around 8:30am easily gave our luggage to the porter (keeping an eye on it to make sure it was going onto the ship and not mixed up with the luggage getting off) and been the first inline...first into the terminal...first at the (priority) checkin counter...first upstairs (priority lounge area)...but were 5th-10th to board the ship after a wedding party group... and...after 4 people rudely pushed past us...the terminal staff could only roll their eyes along with us...but we were first into the WJ :D

I would search for an FLL area hotel with day rates or guaranteed late check out; by the time you get your bags it will be about 6:15 or so. Then cab or shuttle to the hotel and you have time for 4-5 hours of sleep, a quick shower and maybe a dip in the pool. Arrange for car service/limo pick-up about 1:00-1:30 and you'll still have plenty of time to get to POM.

I would search for an FLL area hotel with day rates or guaranteed late check out; by the time you get your bags it will be about 6:15 or so. Then cab or shuttle to the hotel and you have time for 4-5 hours of sleep, a quick shower and maybe a dip in the pool. Arrange for car service/limo pick-up about 1:00-1:30 and you'll still have plenty of time to get to POM.

I second this.

Considering the date of your arrival, I think getting the hotel room will be reasonable cost wise and certainly better than the terminal sitting...sitting..

And if you would go and get on the ship early, there is so much noise and "excitement" on board, the thought of getting any rest is a dream.

I'd switch gears and look for a day room or discount site to book a room for the night before. Just follow up and let the hotel know you are arriving in the a.m.

If you take an overnight flight, when u arrive, me thinks that you may be tired---you don't say from where you are flying from...That being said, I don't know what you want to do ----there's not a lot around the airport--there's never a lot around an airport.

Also, probably, you will have your luggage by 6 or 6:30/6:45 am possibly the latest. Depending on what day (weekday? weekend?) It may take at least an hour to get to POM. Are you arranging for your own shuttle or the ship's? If it's the ship's, you will have to wait until everyone on that plane has boarded the shuttle, which can take a long time...Or are you booking your own? So, if all goes as planned, you may get to the POM at 8-8:30 if you book on your own..... My guess is that RC will allow you to board at about 11am, which, in that case, as you said, you will catch the buffet and a deck chair and take a nap.....Hope this helps.....

We are flying in from Denver Co. we leave at midnight mountain time and get in at 5:25 am eastern time on a Monday. It's about a 3 1/2 hour flight. I was wondering if there was some place in the airport to take it easy and get some breakfast. There is four of us so I think it would cheaper to take a shuttle. I don't mind getting to the port early but I wouldn't want to wait outside until they open. Thank you for your advise.

After you claim your bags, go to either Terminal 3 or 4.

Terminal 3 -

There is a Chili's Too that opens at 6:00 am that will have some breakfast items, and a Dunkin Donuts that is open 24 hours.

Terminal 4 - Cafe Sienna (Offering sandwiches, fruit parfaits, coffee, fresh fruit, and pastries. Sandwiches include Floribbean Tuna, Tropical Turkey, Chicken Mojito, Roast Beef Ham & Cheese, Smoked Salmon and Greek Wraps , open at 5 am, and Crema Connect (Latin and Caribbean bakery items, coffee, salad, etc...) open 24 hours.

All 4 of these are in the "pre security" area of the airport. (Which is where you would be after claiming your baggage.)

Do you know how early (SAS) will pick you up. Did you have to wait outside the port very long before they opened.

Thanks

We booked SAS as a private shuttle (you have that option) since there were 6 of us and arranged for them to pick us up at 7:30am at FLL..We then arrived at POM about 8:30am and were let into the terminal at 10:00am...the wait in line went actually very fast...lot's of excitement.

I cannot imagine getting to any ship that early in AM, trying to figure where to hang out. I would suggest staying in the airport at one of those restaurants until SAS's 1st shuttle at 9:30 AM OR get your bags & take a cab to a hotel to stay in a room with 2 queen beds for a few hours, where you can LAY DOWN & go outside/sit outside to breathe FRESH AIR!

I cannot imagine getting to any ship that early in AM, trying to figure where to hang out. I would suggest staying in the airport at one of those restaurants until SAS's 1st shuttle at 9:30 AM OR get your bags & take a cab to a hotel to stay in a room with 2 queen beds for a few hours, where you can LAY DOWN & go outside/sit outside to breathe FRESH AIR!

I can't imagine spending that much time at FLL :eek:

I may have been at the port much earlier than you would like too...but at least I was on the ship by 11:00am :D

Another option is drop your bags off at the ship and then go back out to the beach via cab.. You can enjoy a nap on the beach instead of in the terminal. Just make sure you have your documents to check in.

Or rent a car and tour Miami/fll before dropping off the car in Ft. Lauderdale. You can hit the beach,restaurants or anything else that interests you. When I arrive I am excited it will be around 5pm or so that I crash.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I can't imagine spending that much time at FLL :eek:

I may have been at the port much earlier than you would like too...but at least I was on the ship by 11:00am :D

We always try to arrive at the port "early" but that usually means about 9 am. Being amongst the first to board the ship is very enjoyable and rewarding.

However, 6am is too early, unless one wants to watch the ship docking! I'd suggest this traveler have breakfast at the airport, sit and unwind, then take a taxi or shuttle to the port at about 9 am or so. I'd be much more inclined to get there, get checked in, and board, then to waste time and money gallivanting around (or staying in a hotel for 4 hours :eek:) and then being among the last to board the ship.

I've arrived at Miami port terminal before it opened and we had to wait outside in the humidity with no where to sit for over an hour. I'd rather be sitting in the A/C in a chair at FLL.

OP, Take note of this advice . . . you seriously risk not being able to gain entry into the port and having to wait outside in late August heat/humidity.

I've never done this before, but looking at Priceline Express deals they have a great deal on a 3 star 8.0 FLL hotel that includes shuttle, breakfast, internet and pool. $59. You shuttle from FLL to the hotel that morning, check in, put your luggage in the room, have breakfast, sleep, swim, shower, etc. for a good 5 hours or so. Take the hotel shuttle back to the airport at noon and wait for SAS final pickup at 12:30 p.m. to go to Port of Miami.

Just book the hotel for the night of the 24th and let the hotel know that you won't be checking in until the early morning on the 25th. Most hotels will also let you do late checkout for noon with no additional fee.

It's what I would do . . . you certainly don't want to be at POM to early to deal with disembarking cruise passengers.

Frontier Airline

Your plan is retarded.

You are seriously considering sitting outside the terminal for 3-4 hours in the August heat and humidity.

You will spend your first several days recovering from this mistake and wonder why you didn't listen to the people who told you not to do this.

You have zero to gain and everything to lose.

Even sitting in the airport for hours is really not a better plan.

I wish you luck

Your plan is retarded.

You are seriously considering sitting outside the terminal for 3-4 hours in the August heat and humidity.

You will spend your first several days recovering from this mistake and wonder why you didn't listen to the people who told you not to do this.

You have zero to gain and everything to lose.

Even sitting in the airport for hours is really not a better plan.

I wish you luck

YIKES :eek:....Very uncalled for response..no reason for this attitude toward the OP at all !!

Each of us is capable of making their own personal travel choices without the need for anyone to refer to it as "retarded".

Shame on you :(

YIKES :eek:....Very uncalled for response..no reason for this attitude toward the OP at all !!

Each of us is capable of making their own personal travel choices without the need for anyone to refer to it as "retarded".

Shame on you :(

It's a horrible plan. Feel free to block me so you will not have to read my responses.

I'm replying to the poster because I live and work in this city day in and day out and am giving the OP real advice not just replying over and over about an 8 hour experience I had a year ago in Fort Lauderdale.

The other local posters have also explained why this is a horrible idea.

BlueHerons,

I have appreciated and benefitted from your advice in the past. Pointing out flaws in a plan and offering constructive advice is what most posters are looking for, not name calling and insults. I'm afraid I am with ashland on this one.

It's a horrible plan. Feel free to block me so you will not have to read my responses.

I'm replying to the poster because I live and work in this city day in and day out and am giving the OP real advice not just replying over and over about an 8 hour experience I had a year ago in Fort Lauderdale.

The other local posters have also explained why this is a horrible idea.

I too have valued your advice and experiences on this board along with many posters and so have no desire to ever block you or anyone else from voicing them...

However name calling is never necessary..Hopefully this was an isolated response..that won't be taken personally by the OP or anyone else considering your future advice on these boards.