Please help me choose - narrowed to 4 choices for Multigenerational Alaska trip

jenninlaca

I am planning a July 2015 Alaska trip for a multigenerational group (active grandparents, two sets of 40-something kids, and 4 children ages 6-12). I posted before and after doing a lot of research, we have narrowed to 4 options"

CELEBRITY - Hubbard Glacier and Icy Straight Point itineraries

Infinity RT from Vancouver

Millennium Southbound 1-way ending in Vancouver

(Note that Infinity misses Skagway and has only 3-10 p.m in Icy Straight Point)

PRINCESS

Grand Princess Southbound - Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay

Star Princess Northbound - Glacier Bay and College Fjord

Despite doing a lot of research, I am now stumped as to how to choose between these 4 options. All fit our travel dates and the pricing is pretty similar, although the Grand Princess is a bit more $$. I want to choose the best itinerary and ideally the best ship experience for our kids and the rest of the family. I have been on 4 cruises but never been on Celebrity or Princess.

Thanks for the advice! If you could let me know your reasoning behind your recommendation, that would really help me.

When you do your cost analysis, factor in the cost of airfare for a one-way cruise vs RT.

Also, for a one-way, factor in the cost of getting to/from the port.

ie Seward is a about 125 miles from Anc and a minimum is $50pp for a transfer.(altho it would be fun and cost effective to rent 2 minivans from HERTZ and make the most of points between Anchorage and Seward.)

These 2 items can add a lot to the overall cost of a one-way.

Unless some members of your party have time for land travel in Alaska, I'd go for a RT out of Vancouver, just for the ease of it. And an itinerary that incl Glacier Bay.

Either Princess cruise because of Glacier Bay. That will give you the most bang for your buck, IMO.

To help narrow the four down to one, look at the port times - you may already be doing that. College Fjord versus Hubbard Glacier? I think you'll be more likely to get to College Fjord of the the two. Hubbard is the largest glacier and is beautiful but sometimes the ship can't get close to it.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Another vote for either of the Princess cruises because of Glacier Bay. I've been to Hubbard three times and we didn't get anywhere near as close to the glacier as we did in GB. Look at port times and check the flight costs. I have found price differences when I've looked into flying into Anchorage vs flying out.

As far as ship experiences, I believe the Grand & Star are the same size/sister ships (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so the ship experience should be similar.

I agree with either of the Princess cruises as Glacier Bay is not to be missed.

I don't think Celebrity can go into Glacier Bay. I'd narrow my research to the two Princess cruises and plan from there.

Having done a Southbound and Northbound cruise, I don't see any great difference in the direction., although Southbound usually costs more because a lot of people prefer it. I wouldn't do a round trip because you don't get far enough North into Alaska.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise. Alaska is an awesome destination.

I am planning a July 2015 Alaska trip for a multigenerational group (active grandparents, two sets of 40-something kids, and 4 children ages 6-12). I posted before and after doing a lot of research, we have narrowed to 4 options"

PRINCESS

Despite doing a lot of research, I am now stumped as to how to choose between these 4 options. All fit our travel dates and the pricing is pretty similar, although the Grand Princess is a bit more $$. I want to choose the best itinerary and ideally the best ship experience for our kids and the rest of the family. I have been on 4 cruises but never been on Celebrity or Princess.

Thanks for the advice! If you could let me know your reasoning behind your recommendation, that would really help me.

Do you have an additional week for mainland touring? Some of the people? Despite the recommendation above, to not take a round trip Vancouver cruise, I disagree, if you aren't adding extra Alaska touring. it is hardly worth getting more "north", if you are just passing through and leaving.

Have you determined your shore activities? Factor in all your costs? Any restrictions? Look at port times, which already is mentioned.

Determine, your transfers, and what would be the best for your group.

There is no perfect cruise. :) Each Alaska cruise offers it's passengers great trips!! and you can't see nor, do "all" with a single visit. I don't "rank" areas like some posters seem to do, claiming, must dos etc. I can enjoy a Tracy Arm transit as much as I enjoy, whale watching, going to Skagway and yes, going to Glacier Bay.

My suggestion would rather be, have some exciting adventures during your trip. Really determine what will grab your interests- and make your plans to make it happen. Again my opinion only- it is not the place to skimp. Live for today- nothing is sure about tomorrow either. Enjoy every minute- in Alaska.

As far as ship experiences, I believe the Grand & Star are the same size/sister ships (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so the ship experience should be similar.

Yes, they are sister ships, and very similar, but there are a few differences. Most notably, the Grand had Skywalkers nightclub removed and replaced by the One5 nightclub. The Grand also has Alfredo's pizzeria. Neither of these should be deciding factors.

I would select the NB Star Princess. The scenery gets better every day as you venture North. Glacier Bay is not to be missed, indescribable beauty that words and pictures cannot duplicate. Even if you can't tack on additional days for touring to the interior of Alaska, a private tour scenic transfer to ANC, booked outside of the cruiseline, can provide another scenic day along Turnagain Arm, stopping at Wildlife Conservation Center, etc. on your way to the airport.

Thank you so much for all of the responses. A lot to consider. One concern I have about the Northbound is that the ship docks very early and I have heard that the flights from Anchorage all depart around midnight so with young kids we would be looking at an all day layover (albeit with a scenic transfer) followed by an overnight flight. Sounds really daunting and exhausting with younger kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for all of the responses. A lot to consider. One concern I have about the Northbound is that the ship docks very early and I have heard that the flights from Anchorage all depart around midnight so with young kids we would be looking at an all day layover (albeit with a scenic transfer) followed by an overnight flight. Sounds really daunting and exhausting with younger kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

depends on where you're flying to. Many east coast flights are red eye.

Alaska Airlines has departures to Seattle almost hourly, and flights to Los Angeles starting at 1pm with a nonstop at 4pm.

But it's another reason to consider RT.

Edited by mapleleaves
rt

Princess and Glacier and College Fjord, did this for our honey moon decades ago and still the best cruise we ever had ( maybe because of the time and no kids :rolleyes: )

PRINCESS

We did a wonderful 3 generation trip last year on Norwegian Pearl, Round trip out of Seattle. It was our 9th trip to Alaska. I chose this ship because it included Glacier Bay and big savings on 8 people flying round trip Seattle instead of Vancouver.We've done every combination of Alaska travel in previous years but for our large family group this was perfect combination of reasonable airfare and great itinerary.

We did a wonderful 3 generation trip last year on Norwegian Pearl, Round trip out of Seattle. It was our 9th trip to Alaska. I chose this ship because it included Glacier Bay and big savings on 8 people flying round trip Seattle instead of Vancouver.We've done every combination of Alaska travel in previous years but for our large family group this was perfect combination of reasonable airfare and great itinerary.

Thanks. We do not want to go out of Seattle but now we are considering the Norwegian Sun Southbound. What do you think of Norwegian as compared to other cruise lines in Alaska?

We have been to Alaska on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Norwegian and enjoyed them all. I realize others may not agree but our choice is always based on itinerary rather than ship. Our family included a 5 year old (loved children's program), 3 teenagers who loved sitting on back deck at buffet, eating and watching scenery, 4 adults. We rented cars in Skagway to drive to Yukon (saw a bear along road), used Ketchikan Taxi Tours (terrific), and whale watching with Orca (great success) in Juneau. We all enjoyed variety of restaurants on NCL. This year we leave Aug 30 for northbound/southbound on Crown Princess. No matter what you choose, you will love it!